New BETA version of BikeRadar

Comments

• IhateDNS
    IhateDNS Posts: 380
    For one week I not been able to login, I don't get a dropdown from ride icon in FF having to use IE 11 nasty rubbish but seem to have the upper hand as IE11 can log into BR.com

I don't post must but have to login to view The CrudCatcher :roll: maybe this can be change back so you don't have to login to read.

So can login with FF for last four or five days. To add I find same old loop before use to work could reply to an old post and would get the popup login box now just takes me back the index page with that stupid ride icon.

I don't have Facebook account so can't login with that.
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    Is the purpose of a Beta version not to use it as a live test bed?

If comments and problems are going to be ignored, along with proposals from its customers on how to improve, there was no point in releasing a beta
  • MyR3
    MyR3 Posts: 1
    Awful, go back to the old format.....PLEASE!
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Looks like it designed by kids for kids to use.

A result of the over-simplified Apple generation no doubt.

The whole web seems to going that way.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • gazman428
    gazman428 Posts: 111
    on all my mobile devices im stuck in a loop at start up. If I try and log on to the forum it takes me back to the bikeradar front page.
    If I log in to the site on the front page the forum doenst recognise me and I have the same loop
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The weird and wonderful tech from the Tour page crashes my iPad browser every time I try to open it.

I also still get the disappearing images.

I'll add to the view that says the new layout isn't nice - I have to scroll a lot more to see what I want
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    edited July 2014
    Same experience as previous poster re iPad, on Chrome and Safari.
    I am not seeing much improvement in around a month. Miss poor.
  • izthewiz
    izthewiz Posts: 154
    Keeps shutting down ipad chrome and safari when I choose to read article about road bike dropper post. I decided to give br another try. Shouldn't have bothered. The journalists are great though, if you can read anything. Alpha (if that's the right term) wasn't broke. Worked on my pc and ipad. Beta appears to be a large steaming pile of...... You finish it.
    The only bad view from the saddle is of the point of impact rising rapidly to meet you.
  • MJ0hn0
    MJ0hn0 Posts: 1
    I've been using Bikeradar as my home page for years, and quite frankly lately it's just annoying me.

I can't zoom in and get rid of the adverts anymore without the whole thing reformatting, a few times when reading bike articles I've found myself in what is clearly an advert for some poxy hatchback.

Then the final straw is the full-page "can't get away from it" Oakley ads, that just have to be "waited out".

Enough is enough, I feel a change to Bike magic is in order......
  • DrLex wrote:
    An attempt to post a comment on the main site only gives me a drop down list beginning facebook and lacking a 'bikeradar' option.

They're only allowing comments via the external logins (G+, social media etc) listed. Jeff has mentioned that they may allow comments via under the BR login in the future, if they get the time and resource. So currently if you don't have a login to any of those, have privacy concerns (e.g. allowing BR to access all your contacts inter alia) or don't want to spend time making sure your comments aren't visible elsewhere - you're hosed i'm afraid.

^This really (and all the other comments about the new site being a nightmare).
    I've just tried to post an incredibly perceptive comment about one of the news items and the new web-shite insists that I log in via a popular (but not with the kids) social media thingy despite the fact that BR tells me that I'm already logged in. ]Long sentence, no punctuation but I think it works.
    You've made something that was good into something that's crap.
    I'm sure that I'm not the only one who will be looking elsewhere for bike news.
  • IhateDNS
    IhateDNS Posts: 380
    Great news it's all fixed.
    O no it's not still can't login with FF. Is anyone looking at fixing website?
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Don't like it.

The design looks clean and fresh at first glance, and that's nice, but it is not user friendly and the forum is almost impossible to find.
  • The Oakley pop-up is doing my nut in. Whenever I come to the forum I get a full-page splash advert about Bikeradar focussing on Oakley or something (that's a measure of its effectiveness as an advert- having viewed it at least 20 times I'm still not sure what it's for), and I can't see any way of closing it off. The advert just sits there for 10 seconds or so before disappearing. It's a real barrier to accessing the site, and is really putting me off coming here.
  • meanredspider
    The news articles continue to crash my iPad browser
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Brommers76
    Brommers76 Posts: 234
    Ignoring the bugs and completely misjudged adverts I am struggling with the home page nav bar. The behaviour seems really strange. I don't think the project has had a ux expert on it - if it did I would question their ability. The adverts, the top nav, the log in loop (that can't have been properly tested) all seem like the product owner is doing a bad job.
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    10 minutes trying to log into the forum.

How crap is this site nowadays ??
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • meanredspider
    Brommers76 wrote:
    I don't think the project has had any ux thought on it

FTFY :wink:
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    I keep getting notifications of activity on this thread, which is good, because I can't access the forum any way other than the link. I was wondering why no one from the Office had commented on this 10 page thread slating all their work, but then I realised they probably can't log in....
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    New website is shite. Accessing it from iPhone and the only way to get to the forum is the feedback button. No way to view full site, and articles keep crashing my browser.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • longster
    longster Posts: 53
    Don't like it at all. Rubbish
  • meanredspider
    Pictures still disappearing from articles on IOS (that's when it hasn't crashed the browser...)

How do I access the old version?
  • r3hxn
    r3hxn Posts: 127
    I actually like the design and layout, and appreciate the work put in. The one issue I do have with it however is when scrolling down the page, the fixed nav bar at the top suddenly looses the option for Forums. I have to move the scroll all the way back to the top for it to change and add the forum option. It just comes across as bad design and messy. The navigation options should remain the same.

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
    Scott Scale - Custom mtb - Work in progress
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324
    hi, well i`ve given it time and the usual " bedding in" period and just do not like it, its much trickier to use than the old site and as a result i spend much less time on it! please just admit defeat and give the old site a lick of paint eh :D
  • vectra
    vectra Posts: 91
    Hi, can't find any of the stuff I used to look at on the old site. Not interested in a Windows 8 clone web site. Bye bye.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I do enjoy playing 'try to find the user name and PW boxes' when I log in - normally they are buried under the main screen photos. There's about 2mm of space, if I can find it, that I can click on and get into the user name box without selecting an article of some sort.

And I think it would be better if the pictures in the galleries worked. I'd like to have a look at the Sky F type but it's hard to see when the picture is a only centimetre long. As for the text that overlaps itself on the main banner, that does add a certain quirky style to the website.

I think next time it would be better if you waited until the revisions really were at a beta stage before releasing them. Wouldn't it just be simpler to go back to the old format for now until these issues are resolved. I doubt anyone would mind (quite the reverse I suspect).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Hi all,
    Thanks for the continued feedback and patience, a lot of it is on the money and will get done. Not right away though as Future no longer own the site, so are only supporting it in a limited capacity.

We're currently recruiting a team of developers + ux/design at Immediate that will be working on BikeRadar. This will enable us to make small changes and test them before releasing to live, so the site will evolve more gradually from now on.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • bigcoose
    bigcoose Posts: 41
    what a pile of shite beta is.
  • fukawitribe
    fukawitribe Posts: 109
    Good luck with the new developers Jeff, sound like you're "living in interesting times" with the way the site is going but this is surely only going to help.
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    Hope it all goes well now that future is not so involved. But please please please can you sort out the forum log. It's just taken me five hours to log in. This is not very user friendly. :(
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • I click through to the website from RSS and get a 404 error 100% of the time
    RSS reader NetNewsWire Version 3.3.2