New BETA version of BikeRadar

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Still - it could be worse, I just got access to the new Garmin Connect... Makes BR look fantastic by comparison!
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Also, the layout and colourscheme looks bad, it takes me round a loop 90% of the time to prevent me logging in, and what's going on with the halfords ads???? They bought you out?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I'm fine with the option to use social media as a log-in, it's just that it should never be compulsory. I'm glad the forums will stay 'open' and hope you manage to return that functionality to the comments too. It's not just about not wanting to bore your friends online, it's also relevant to security. The more sites linked to a single social media log-in, the easier it is for someone to steal your identity and /or property.

Hypothetical example: I say here that I have just bought a £10,000 bike (I wish!), mention on a road safety site that I live 20 metres from a particular accident black-spot, and say on twitter that I am going to the beach for the day in an hour's time. That could be all it takes for someone to watch me leave home and relieve me of my new purchase while I'm gone.

The less I am 'forced' to share online, the better.

Personally I'd simply prefer not to have Facebook rape my privacy for profit.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • phiadad
    phiadad Posts: 94
    Can't log in at all getting very frustrated
  • zaradog
    zaradog Posts: 52
    No guite simply no
  • bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    Can't post replies on my iphone no matter what I do.

BETA not terribly good, bring back ALPHA
  • Angus Young
    bigmul wrote:

Works for me on both iPhone and iPad.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Feels like being shafted...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAWxU4BC5kc
  • bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    bigmul wrote:

When pressing the reply button it auto re-directs to the Beta home page even thought I'm logged on.
  • Angus Young
    bigmul wrote:
    bigmul wrote:

When pressing the reply button it auto re-directs to the Beta home page even thought I'm logged on.

That's annoying. For me it just functions as it always has.
  • Sorry but this is really poor. It’s just not user friendly at all. I visit this site regularly but I’m finding it very difficult to see the information I’m looking for. For instance;
    I can’t see the weekly deals with descriptions any more, unless I look at each in turn
    Adverts dominate the site
    Compact and easy to read pages now seem to be designed for the visually impaired
    Halfords having their name on every page now makes me doubt the validity of any advice or recommendations.

I’m not sure who this new site is designed for and who the audience is but it seems to just be just an advertising platform.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    This isn't working for me on my Android phone.
    I log in using the helmet icon ok but if I try to post in the forum it redirects me to login again but it says im already logged in. If I then go back to the forum it looks like im logged out.
  • clogg
    clogg Posts: 70
    I would normally never bother commenting on a site change but this is really appalling. You have made an absolute mess of the site.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    It's taken me days to log in on my ipad. I couldn't log in using Facebook as normal, as the social network links don't appear on the homepage. Then I got my password wrong and couldn't log in because the captcha graphic doesn't show either. I eventually managed to reset my password and log in, but it's a total pita.

If the login is using flash then it needs sorting!
  • Angus Young
    NorvernRob wrote:
    It's taken me days to log in on my ipad. I couldn't log in using Facebook as normal, as the social network links don't appear on the homepage. Then I got my password wrong and couldn't log in because the captcha graphic doesn't show either. I eventually managed to reset my password and log in, but it's a total pita.

If the login is using flash then it needs sorting!

I wonder why I'm not getting any of this.
  • odessouky
    odessouky Posts: 264
    the whole experience is poor really...
  • Is the USER CONTROL PANEL down? I just get a blank, white screen and cannot read any messages.
  • ...and is logging in now down as well?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ...and is logging in now down as well?
    Same issue
    Is the USER CONTROL PANEL down? I just get a blank, white screen and cannot read any messages.
    And is nothing to do with the beta of the site.

The Beta is nothing to do with the forum.

Abe see your the reply in the control panel PM thread.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • barikhan
    barikhan Posts: 22
    Is it possible to get access to old articles? I would like to read http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... sts-28838/ again, but it has now been taken off. I had access to it last week. I presume it may have been removed as a clean-up operation for the new style changes etc? Cheers
  • IhateDNS
    IhateDNS Posts: 380
    Is the USER CONTROL PANEL down? I just get a blank, white screen and cannot read any messages.

Good not just me then. Can't see PM's blank popup (new messages window)
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!
  • I can't see PM's either, so no point pm'ing me. I can't get in to my control panel as I receive the same as the entry above...simply a blank white screen no matter how I try to get in to see my messages. Please sort this out as I was in the process of offering to buy something when the moderator (Northwind) deleted my post and sent me a warning, for which he/she has since apologised as they did it in error, somehow getting mixed up with the previous two posts he / she had removed due to no pictures, but apparently my entry cannot be re-instated once deleted by a moderator.
  • And worryingly, when I try to logout, I also just get a blank white screen, and when re-entering the site (sometimes a couple of hours later) it shows me as still logged in. Surely that's a security issue that needs looking in to ASAP?
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    It has a ridiculously inefficient use of screen space. On the old site, I could see a number of story headlines and could then click on to the stories that interested me. For example, if there was a headline about a new Colnago model and it interested me I could go to that story.

Now, when the headline includes a photo of the bike, it takes up a very large protion of the screen and I have to scroll down to find the next story/headline - which seems to be accompanied by another screen hogging photo. and so ad infinitum.

Please go back to a list of headlines which I can scroll thro' and then choose
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I was looking at the Colnago new bike article just now. Each time I'd scroll down to the images - which were there - they'd disappear leaving just a blank space. More scrolling, more pictures doing a vanishing act in front of my eyes. I'm using an iPad with latest IOS.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    barikhan wrote:
    Is it possible to get access to old articles? I would like to read http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... sts-28838/ again, but it has now been taken off. I had access to it last week. I presume it may have been removed as a clean-up operation for the new style changes etc? Cheers
    Try http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/h ... sts-28838/

We did try to leave the url structure alone as much as possible but there were some quirks that will result in broken links.

Searching the site should pull up the article you want
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Jeff Jones
    And worryingly, when I try to logout, I also just get a blank white screen, and when re-entering the site (sometimes a couple of hours later) it shows me as still logged in. Surely that's a security issue that needs looking in to ASAP?
    The blank screen should be fixed. That should fix the logout issue.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Jeff Jones
    I was looking at the Colnago new bike article just now. Each time I'd scroll down to the images - which were there - they'd disappear leaving just a blank space. More scrolling, more pictures doing a vanishing act in front of my eyes. I'm using an iPad with latest IOS.
    That's definitely odd - we'll see if we can reproduce it.

Try clearing your browser cache and cookies as well. We've made a number of changes over the past couple of weeks and you may be seeing cached older stylesheet bits that are not right.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Seems to be broken in Firefox this morning - when I get subscription emails and click on the link to go to the post, it takes me to the home page and tells me I am logged in (I already now that!). If I click on the second link, just for the topic, it takes me there OK.

However, if I click on 'Reply' before it shows me the text input box, it takes me back to the home page. I cant actually reply to anything in firefox and have had to go to Internet Explorer to post this, which does not have either of these problems.

Firefox was OK last night...