Tour of Turkey 2014, April 27-May 4 *spoiler thread*

Comments

• Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Crampeur wrote:
    Why is Formolo unclipped in that photo?

knowing the stage was lost, he made the most of his time by doing some single-leg drills to improve his form
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    Cofidis cock up.
    Tired Taaramae.
    Amazing Adam.

Bit harsh - they are still at 2 and 3 on GC. Hardy was really trying - he didnt have the legs to get on the front and did well to hang in there. Generally team seemed to do some pulling where it mattered - although obviously lacking some strength in depth. Bagot and Edet got top 5 in this race last year and seemed useful today Taaramae should be more than happy with his performance to date. Real guts today and went down trying.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    20144464_226980_670.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    160012__VEG2159%20copy.jpg

He will probably get a shot of that and frame it. Note Formolo unclipped.

Which is why he risked stopping pedalling. Nice to see him enjoying the first of hopefully many wins.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Which was the brother that Sky didn't want?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Adam - the one that won today.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    Probably could have had 10 Adams brothers for the price of one EBH. Most teams would not want to split brothers. I find the Schleck brothers dynamic super.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Thanks.

I like and admire Sky for the most part but I have to agree with FF that I very much doubt that they would have been given the freedom to impact races as they are doing already if they had gone to Sky.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Shame I missed that win live ... Will enjoy the highlights ... (Irony is I missed that entertaining Aussie friends ...)
  • RichN95.
    DeadCalm wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Thanks.

I like and admire Sky for the most part but I have to agree with FF that I very much doubt that they would have been given the freedom to impact races as they are doing already if they had gone to Sky.
    Ironically they both seem like riders suited to Ardennes classics and at Sky they'd be fast tracked into leadership, while at Orica they'll be behind Gerrans.

On the Cycling Podcast they pointed out that a problem that Sky currently have is that they have too many youngsters any way, so them being at Orica is probably best for everyone.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,818
    Cofidis cock up.
    Tired Taaramae.
    Amazing Adam.

Bit harsh - they are still at 2 and 3 on GC. Hardy was really trying - he didnt have the legs to get on the front and did well to hang in there. Generally team seemed to do some pulling where it mattered - although obviously lacking some strength in depth. Bagot and Edet got top 5 in this race last year and seemed useful today Taaramae should be more than happy with his performance to date. Real guts today and went down trying.

Rein disagrees:
    In fact, the reason why Yates got away so easily, it was that my team was not able to make the hard pace.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Pleasantly surprised by Adam's performance this week. Couldn't believe it when he sat up before the line, glad he got away with it though!
    @ClarionCC wrote:
    Bury Clarion's Adam Yates took the lead of the Tour of Turkey by climbing to a superb solo victory on stage 6
    :) Local boy done good, although I think any world tour points will be allocated to Orica Greenedge rather than the Clarion...
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Note to Kirby : it's ADAM and not SIMON. Simon is no longer in the race. Repeat - NO LONGER IN THE RACE.

My enjoyment of last night's highlights blighted by this constant error :x
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Stage 7: Kuşadası - Izmir (136,3 km)

1 Elia VIVIANI (Cannondale) 03:04:25
    2 Andrea GUARDINI (Astana Pro Team) 00:00:00
    3 Mark CAVENDISH (Omega Pharma-QuickStep) 00:00:00

I was watching the race from about 30 km out (took a long time to catch the break) but I missed the finish! (the front door bell rang just when they’d reached 4km to go).

It seems as they entered the last km, Cavendish was following Petacchi and another Omega rider but then Cavendish went too early (again). Viviani followed Cavendish, then went by him, Guardini then also going by.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Oh FFS Cav! :(

I am getting a bit f*cked off with him making stupid mistakes. I know it's only a semi-chipper, but that isn't the point. He should be destroying all of these f*cking n00bs, not letting them beat him again because he's made another stupid error. Where is his brain FFS?!
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    Viviani judged that sprint perfectly. Very nice.

The crash in the final run in was pretty nasty, riders flying through one another flat out.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    TMR wrote:

I am getting a bit f*cked off with him making stupid mistakes. I know it's only a semi-chipper, but that isn't the point. He should be destroying all of these f*cking n00bs, not letting them beat him again because he's made another stupid error. Where is his brain FFS?!

A "semi" chipper? This is a fully fledged, grade A 100% chipper. Known in Cavendish land as a "sh*t small race"
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    edited May 2014
    Was it Steegmans that pulled off the front and tried to break back into the line? Bloody awful riding, caused a lot of disruption which lead to the crash. Might have also actually helped Viviani as he had to make up ground and had the jump on Cav before Petacchi pulled off.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,818
    edited May 2014
    Both Viviani and Guardini easily came past Cav from miles back.
    Must faster finishing. Quite a shock, really.

Steegmans just became a slow moving bollard in the middle of the road.
    A crash was almost inevitable.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Mark Cavendish ‏@MarkCavendish · 3m
    Can't remember when I last let @opqscyclingteam down as bad after perfect work. Sorry guys. But congrats again to @eliaviviani #TourOfTurkey
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    Rein disagrees:
    In fact, the reason why Yates got away so easily, it was that my team was not able to make the hard pace

that's not really a cock up - but a statement of fact. They got him on the climb - Yates attacked - he couldn't go with him - even if Cofidis were riding hard - Yates had more than Taaramae
  • frenchfighter
    Mark Cavendish ‏@MarkCavendish · 3m
    Can't remember when I last let @opqscyclingteam down as bad after perfect work. Sorry guys. But congrats again to @eliaviviani #TourOfTurkey

+1

Vivi had to bridge the gap, come round the deliberate blocking from the OPQS rider then come past Cavendish - hearty congratulations. Cavendish just messed up big time, twice. I guess it happens.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Interesting shot this one:
    133408_DSC_8897.jpg
    140754__VEG1871.jpg
    Rein post stage yesterday:
    160117__VEG2193.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    140429_DSC_9603.jpg
    140451_DSC_9620.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    iainf72 wrote:
    TMR wrote:

A "semi" chipper? This is a fully fledged, grade A 100% chipper. Known in Cavendish land as a "sh*t small race"

Is a semi chipper more of a chipper than a chipper? Iain's right, even if he had won Cav is currently trading in Zimbabwean dollars when a couple of seasons ago nothing less than Sterling would have been acceptable.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • frenchfighter
    135231__VEG3354_zps740535cb.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    The Yates brothers having their picture taken with a fan

BmqNoYvIYAAJaah.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Kudus broke his collar bone.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Good lord I think he needed that.

Viviani seems to have an extra yard of pace this year. Could give Kittel a run for his money in the Giro. Maybe.