Vuelta al País Vasco 2014 **Spoilers**

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Joelsim wrote:
    poppit wrote:
    Interesting twitter comment from Michelle Cound

'Maybe an "ex" doper can win the tour this year, at least he would be qualified to answer all the doping questions'. Not sure who she means though.

Seems to be kicking off on twitter at the moment.

Not sure who she means either. Could be anyone...

In fairness to MC she very clearly states that she's talking about Lance Armstrong having sat next to someone watching it on the plane she was on. She then states how unfair it is that Sky/Froome are having to clear up his mess (again, pretty fair!)

She is absolutely not having a pop at Bert

i'd put something aboput not picking up fag ends but twitter is all about fag ends i suppose...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Time to call out the chippy bigots, I say. Cound's sound. They're toast.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    She seems to be picking out one figurehead for everything that went on ... Isn't that what folks are doing to her man?
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Stage 2:
    http://www.steephill.tv/2014/vuelta-al- ... ile-02.jpg

Could be a sprint, could be a breakaway. Would like to see someone like Gilbert and Costa go HARD with 20km to race.
    With a little less than 20 km to go, the road starts to kick up for about 3.3 km with an average gradient of 3.3 %. None of this should trouble the fast guys, but it will become harder for a break to make it all the way. With 6.5 km to go, there is another uncategorized climb of 2.2 km (average gradient of 3.4 %). The following 3.5 km are downhill. The run-in is fast and the final part is tricky. With about 350 meters to go, the riders go right into a roundabout, an almost 180° corner according to the detailed map in the road book. The final 300 meters are uphill with an average gradient of about 4 %.

http://www.c-cycling.com/sites/paisvasco14/stage2.html

Looking forward to this stage. Mikkel Conde does some decent race previews, have to say,
  • Richmond Racer
    Joelsim wrote:
    poppit wrote:
    She seems to be getting a lot of vile abuse at the moment. I suppose if you tweet a fair bit and have opinions then you have to be prepared for people to respond, it doesn't mean you have to put up with abuse though. I'd be pretty vocal if it was my other half getting this type of abuse and nasty comments though.

It's a shame when you see that sort of thing. I'm all for a bit of reasoned debate, but calling someone a c*nt isn't very clever.

Its the first resort of the truly ignorant
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Stage 2:
    http://www.steephill.tv/2014/vuelta-al- ... ile-02.jpg

Could be a sprint, could be a breakaway. Would like to see someone like Gilbert and Costa go HARD with 20km to race.
    With a little less than 20 km to go, the road starts to kick up for about 3.3 km with an average gradient of 3.3 %. None of this should trouble the fast guys, but it will become harder for a break to make it all the way. With 6.5 km to go, there is another uncategorized climb of 2.2 km (average gradient of 3.4 %). The following 3.5 km are downhill. The run-in is fast and the final part is tricky. With about 350 meters to go, the riders go right into a roundabout, an almost 180° corner according to the detailed map in the road book. The final 300 meters are uphill with an average gradient of about 4 %.

http://www.c-cycling.com/sites/paisvasco14/stage2.html

Looking forward to this stage. Mikkel Conde does some decent race previews, have to say,

Yeah, I wish she'd do more writing and less tweeting.

Eh? Oh.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Richmond Racer
    *applause*
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    He knows cycling, after all.

Regarding Michelle Cound, as much as she has a right to free speech etc, I think it would be best if she did a Wiggins and quit twitter. The abuse sent her way is disgusting, but by highlighting it and responding to it she is only making it worse for her and Chris.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • poppit wrote:

'Maybe an "ex" doper can win the tour this year, at least he would be qualified to answer all the doping questions'. Not sure who she means though.

She does herself no favours at all ranting awy on twitter!
  • Richmond Racer
    poppit wrote:

We-ll, it must be bloody awful to have your nearest and dearest called a cheat and a doper (assuming you're absolutely certain he's clean, and not a Kristin Armstrong, for example) in tweets hitting yours and your beloved's Twitter accounts

However - and I'm no shrinking violet, its surely no coincidence that an account called @FightClub decided to follow me a couple of days ago - but I think i would say fark this for a game of soldiers, and get off Twitter.

But I really do think she'd rather stay on so that she can keep an eye on what's being said about her fiance
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    poppit wrote:

We-ll, it must be bloody awful to have your nearest and dearest called a cheat and a doper (assuming you're absolutely certain he's clean, and not a Kristin Armstrong, for example) in tweets hitting yours and your beloved's Twitter accounts

However - and I'm no shrinking violet, its surely no coincidence that an account called @FightClub decided to follow me a couple of days ago - but I think i would say fark this for a game of soldiers, and get off Twitter.

But I really do think she'd rather stay on so that she can keep an eye on what's being said about her fiance

That's the best advice for anyone in the public eye that doesn't like criticism (justified or not). The alternative is the James Blunt style of put down, using a bit of humour.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Betancur abandons
  • Richmond Racer
    Joelsim wrote:
    Betancur abandons

Westra too, a little earlier
  • ^ Westra too. (e: too slow!)

Today's break has Izagirre, Dupont, Jungels, Malacarne, Martin, Bakelants, and Monfort in it. Tinkoff-Saxo keeping them pegged to roughly 2:30.
  • joelsim
    Wonder if they will bother chasing the break today. It would probably only be OGE and SKY.
  • Richmond Racer
    Joelsim wrote:
    Wonder if they will bother chasing the break today. It would probably only be OGE and SKY.

They'll chase. After the final climb, they'll take over from Tinki

Gotta be in it to win it
  • joelsim
    Hope TM goes on a long one!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Tux, Busche and King involved in a crash at 45ks or so. Tux back on his bike. Busche and King walking but none too fast.

2.49 at 40ks to go.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Break quite feisty...2:22 with 33km to go.
  • Matt Stephens has just compared Tony Martin to a "Girafarig" from Pokemon. What?

I hope someone goes for it out of the break or I think they'll get reeled in pretty tamely in the end.
  • Crampeur
    According to Matt Stephens, Tony Martin looks like this: girafarig.jpg
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Sorry...Lemond....as in Lemon with a d?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Crampeur
    Sky n Ulrika coming to the front, gap down to about 1'
  • Crampeur
    Tony M attacks
  • Crampeur
    3 riders: Martin, Izagirre and Bakelandts
  • Jan the man managed to just about get across to Martin and Izagirre. I was a bit surprised to see Tony putting the foot down without Bakelants being in a position to try go along to work together initially. Maybe Jan is just not in good enough form in general, he looks like he's struggling to hang on a bit.
  • frenchfighter
    They are doing a great job holding off this peloton. 1.05 with 16.5km to go is a reasonable margin.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crampeur
    Tricky to get a chase organised on these roads
  • Crampeur
    Martin gone again
  • frenchfighter
    The Panzerwagen is now solo. A variety of teams chasing.

10.5km and gap hasnt budged.

Doubt they can pull back Time Trial Tony.
    Contador is the Greatest