Vuelta al País Vasco 2014 **Spoilers**

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited April 2014 in Pro race
Runs Monday to Sat. Typically a tough route with some great racing. Startlist is seriously strong - lets hope it delivers.

Preview:
http://www.c-cycling.com/sites/paisvasco14/overall.html

Details:
http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Vue ... Vasco_2014
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• frenchfighter
    Stage 1:
    profile-01.jpg

Supposedly on Eurosport at 2.30
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Oddly enough that stage above is almost supposed to be the hardest. Many climbs before the final one at 13% average (but only 2.5km length) - 7km from the finish.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Absolutely terrific start list. Looking forward to this.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    edited April 2014
    I predict a week with lots of heavyweight, flowery praise for several Spanish "champions",
    since they should dominate this race.
    Best of the rest probably Costa, Kwiatkowski, Mollema, Betancur and possibly Spilak, Schleck snr and TJVG.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Richmond Racer
    I predict a week with lots of heavyweight, flowery praise for several Spanish "champions",
    since they should dominate this race.
    Best of the rest probably Costa, Kwiatkowski, Mollema, Betancur and possibly Spilak, Schleck snr and TJVG.

Got a funny feeling you might be right :wink:
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Why no Majka? Would have thought this race would suit him. What's he up to at the moment?

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Come on, Li'l Pete. Maybe his first time leading a team against the big guns.

Should be a good stage today. It's got Valverde written all over it.
  • frenchfighter
    Interested to see how well Sky support their team leader Nieve. Four top tens in GTs and this is his home race - he deserves real support not like what he got in TA.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    100ks to race and Sicard, Montaguti, Ferrari and Villella have close on 4mins.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Interested to see how well Sky support their team leader Nieve. Four top tens in GTs and this is his home race - he deserves real support not like what he got in TA.

Leaving aside arguing over what happened at T-A - where he was not the team leader, and only back-up after Porte couldnt start st 5 - the problem with Nieve is that however well he does, he's going to go sliding right down the GC after the final stage TT. His TTing is absolutely shocking. And its not even a hilly TT, so he's going to get creamed by Contador, Evans, Peraud, TGVG, Kwia, Costa, even Betancur who seems to have improved

Top 10 at best here.
  • frenchfighter

Leaving aside arguing over what happened at T-A - where he was not the team leader, and only back-up after Porte couldnt start st 5 - the problem with Nieve is that however well he does, he's going to go sliding right down the GC after the final stage TT. His TTing is absolutely shocking. And its not even a hilly TT, so he's going to get creamed by Contador et al.

Are you saying PK should be leader over Nieve? That would be like a Spanish rider coming to the Tour of Yorkshire and being made the team leader despite the English rider being a vastly better climber and seriously experienced and from Yorkshire!

His TT is bad yes, but not making him team-leader here is pretty silly. The TT is 26km. Did you ever watch Nieve win his Giro stage in 2011? If not I'd recommend it as the best day in stage racing ever.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

Leaving aside arguing over what happened at T-A - where he was not the team leader, and only back-up after Porte couldnt start st 5 - the problem with Nieve is that however well he does, he's going to go sliding right down the GC after the final stage TT. His TTing is absolutely shocking. And its not even a hilly TT, so he's going to get creamed by Contador et al.

Are you saying PK should be leader over Nieve? That would be like a Spanish rider coming to the Tour of Yorkshire and being made the team leader despite the English rider being a vastly better climber and seriously experienced and from Yorkshire!

His TT is bad yes, but not making him team-leader here is pretty silly. The TT is 26km. Did you ever watch Nieve win his Giro stage in 2011? If not I'd recommend it as the best day in stage racing ever.

Who has the better chance of winning the GC?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    No one seems to have said he shouldn't be leader, just that he's unlikely to win which would appear a reasonable assessment. Hopefully they'll support him in chasing a stage or two. It's races like this where you get to keep your key domestiques for the bigger races happy.
  • frenchfighter
    I don't think he is going to win. I simply make the point he should be team leader.

Live coverage will start shortly.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    'If it wasn't for those peSKY kids ...' etc.
  • frenchfighter
    60ks gap coming down. Movistar in force at the head of he peloton with a few Tinkoffs. Contador pedaling air.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Very narrow roads, great surface. Incredible amount of fans at the top of the climbs.

52ks gap is 2mins to Montaguti and Villella. Sicard and the other dropped on the very steep section of this climb.

Tinkoff massing at the front.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Gilbert and Vanendert attack with 47km to race. Vanvdert dropped as soon as the climb starts.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    None other than little Tux attacks and flies past Gilbert. Tinkoff on the front with Gilbert caught.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Head of race, 40secs to chasers, 1.27 to Tux.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Another Caja rider has joined Tux. Very steep.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer

Frenchie, I'm a Nieve fan. And no, I'm not saying PK should be leader here over Nieve. Not at all. Its his home race, and I think Nieve is leader - he does have the '1' race number. Just saying that his TT is pretty awful - and until it improves, he's always going to lose ground on better TT rivals in stage races with a flattish TT. Which is a pity.
  • frenchfighter
    On the the penultimate climb and it is all together. Tinkoff lead the bunch (3 then Contador). 23km left. This climb is not very steep - average 5%.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Which is a pity.

Definitely. If Sky can do anything for him it is improve his TT. I'm sure they can but I get the impression he will never be that good.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Kwiatek on Contador's wheel. Fast descent then it should all kick off.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Which is a pity.

Definitely. If Sky can do anything for him it is improve his TT. I'm sure they can but I get the impression he will never be that good.

I'm kind of in agreement. I think they should be able to improve it somewhat, but you can only work with the material you've got
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Decent riders, parcours and scenery ... and the ES commentators are sucking the life out of the pictures on-screen, and me ...
  • frenchfighter
    Dumoulin of GShim attacked on the descent and got about 15secs before being caught.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    Oh hello. :oops:

Mollema completely out of sorts.
    Costa dropped too.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    Great for the fans that this final climb is the second time they have got onto it.

Peloton seriously whittled down. Cadel, Kwiatek, Valverde and Contador all at the front.

Shame the moto cant get stable pictures in the trees.
    Contador is the Greatest