Volta Ciclista a Catalunya *spoilers*

12345679»

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Just noticed Alaphilipe came 2nd on st 5 and 3rd in the gallop behind the escapees yesterday to add to his 2nd on stage 1 and 4th on stage 2. However he did very badly on both the mountain stages : (
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Pleased for him.
    SPTDW5101.jpg

Dan Martin caved in to the 'I look like an idiot camp'
    SPTDW608-1-662x440.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    catalunya20147.jpg

Time bonus + countback = Contador win: If Alberto Contador wins the stage and Joaquim Rodriguez finishes in second place on equal time then Contador wins the 10 second time bonus and Rodriguez takes six, which puts them on equal time. As there are no fractions of a second the rules state it is done by “the sum of places won in each stage”:

Stage Joaquim Rodriguez Alberto Contador
    1 21 25
    2 52 28
    3 1 2
    4 4 3
    5 24 6
    6 34 36
    7 ? ?
    Total 136 100

-inrng

Top ten separated by a measly 48 secs. All to race for.

1 Joaquin Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Team Katusha 27:03:13
    2 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:04
    3 Tejay van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:00:07
    4 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:10
    5 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team
    6 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:17
    7 Andrew Talansky (USA) Garmin Sharp 0:00:18
    8 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:26
    9 Warren Barguil (Fra) Team Giant-Shimano 0:00:42
    10 Robert Kiserlovski (Cro) Trek Factory Racing 0:00:48
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    It's live and very wet.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Lol the commentators just saying Purito attacked when he was just chasing to follow his teammates after two OPQS took it up fast.

6 out front at the moment including Voeckler.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Westra has 48 secs on the 5 others and 3mins on the bunch. 10km left.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Excellent by Westra. 1.22 over Burghardt and Voeckler. 3 more riders then Contador, Bardet...

So if Saxo could have pulled that back Contador would have won the overall.

FROOME NOWHERE

Final GC:
    Rodriguez
    Contador at 4secs
    TJ at 7 secs
    Bardet then Quintana at 10
    Talansky at 18
    Pozzo at 26
    Barguil at 42
    Fugslang at 1
    Kelderman at 1.01

Note, Froome nowhere.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Where was Froome?

:wink:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    Just checked a few sources and he is nowhere on the GC list however TeamSky seem to think he is...

Team Sky ‏@TeamSky 15 mins
    Chris Froome has ended the #VoltaCatalunya in sixth place overall after Joaquim Rodriguez took the title and Lieuwe Westra the stage 7 win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    edited March 2014
    Just checked a few sources and he is nowhere on the GC list however TeamSky seem to think he is...

Chris Froome has ended the #VoltaCatalunya in sixth place overall after Joaquim Rodriguez took the title and Lieuwe Westra the stage 7 win.

He definitely (as far as I could see) crossed the line with the pack of GC riders, maybe 10/11 back from Purito.

Edit: Just watching it back he comes in 8th alongside I think van Garderen.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545

#GironaTriangle
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    Yep so they readjusted it and he came in in front of TJ as you say so 6th on GC. Maybe he switched bikes so his secondary one didnt have a transponder to pick up the result on the provisional results released.

Real shame that there was zero change in GC - still only 48secs separating the top ten.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Yep so they readjusted it and he came in in front of TJ as you say so 6th on GC. Maybe he switched bikes so his secondary one didnt have a transponder to pick up the result on the provisional results released.

Real shame that there was zero change in GC - still only 48secs separating the top ten.

The coverage has been pretty ropey in places what with the weather etc so maybe just a technical hitch.
  • frenchfighter
    JRod said the organisation took out two corners on the descent as they were considered too dangerous in the wet.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    So on the 4th stage when Barguil was lighting it up he had his dad in mind. Would have been super had he been able to bag that win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Martin genuinely thinks he looks cool with the glasses doesn't he..
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Interesting to see TJ up there - ahead of Quintana, Froome etc. A return to form?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Madrazo lapped! Didn't recognise him without his specs
  • frenchfighter
    “This victory is important for me. It was a great race in Spain and also a WorldTour race. Two consecutive weeks we’ve won in the WorldTour. It’s also been a real race, especially when you saw Alberto Contador trying over the whole route until the end to gain the four seconds that he needed. The true Contador always fights for victory. This race was especially hard with all the wind and rain, but that’s what make’s the competition exciting.”
    -Rodriguez
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    So, all the pant wetting beforehand about how great this race was going to be due to the line up, and damp squib doesn't even begin to describe how dull it was.

It takes more than a few big names to make a race.

The course is part of the problem, taking riders up to 2000 metres before the end of March is lunacy, and actually shows a lot of contempt towards them. I think the organisers need to have a serious re-think about this race if they want a stellar line up again.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,567
    ThomThom wrote:
    Martin genuinely thinks he looks cool with the glasses doesn't he..

To be fair to the lad, the more of his face that gets covered up the better he looks!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited March 2014
    ^ ow harsh, Pross

Though (no 1) tis fair to say that cousin Nico inherited the looks in the family)
    Though (no 2) he has a following amongst some female cycling fans (no, I dont get it either)
  • frenchfighter
    "Then on the last mountain, people starting looking at each other and I took advantage of that to move away, maybe 10 kilometres from the summit."

He had seen the climb on TV when watching the previous year's Volta, he said, "but with the fog and the bad weather there were almost no real reference points."

"David Lopez (Sky) brought the peloton back up to me, but again with three kilometres to go, I saw that he needed to catch his breath because he'd done so much work before and at that point I attacked, and gave it everything I could.

"Then with about one and a half kilometres to go, I got caught by Chris Froome (Sky) and I just gave it everything to try and get to the line. I was pretty satisfied but I think without that puncture and the energy I used up there I could maybe have done a bit better."

-Barguil
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Though (no 2) he has a following amongst some female cycling fans (no, I dont get it either)

They just want to play with his panda...