Volta Ciclista a Catalunya *spoilers*

Comments

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    But if they were ripping it up now wouldn't people be trotting out the "peaked too early" or "must be doped" lines?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited March 2014
    [Grand Tours are too hard if riders can only afford to go all-out a few times in a career. Even tennis ( :D ) manages 4 big rubbers, or whatever, a year.]
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    r0bh wrote:
    But if they were ripping it up now wouldn't people be trotting out the "peaked too early" or "must be doped" lines?

Ah. But the fact that they aren't is also evidence they are doping
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Terrible weather is the friend of one day racing and the enemy of stage racing.

Now I've not seen today's race - who has? - but I'm guessing no-one hammered away on the front to thin the numbers out early in the climb like Sky usually. While some say that is boring, it does open the race up somewhat.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,587
    r0bh wrote:

I thought it was proof they had been but weren't anymore. I'm confused :?
  • tailwindhome
    BjwkgVEIgAAnUTA.jpg

Alberto Contador ‏@albertocontador · 19m
    Hard day of cycling today. Cold and snow. In the pic it looks that I'm 10 years older than yesterday! Keep working!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Pross wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

I thought it was proof they had been but weren't anymore. I'm confused :?

It's not that complicated.

Let x be anything that happens in any race at anytime anywhere
    Let y be any rider from anywhere in the world and from any era

x is evidence that y is doping
    Where y =/= LeMond
  • tailwindhome
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    BjwkgVEIgAAnUTA.jpg:large
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Crosswinds chatter:
    "There will be a 20km/h crosswind for most of the day, normally the minimum windspeed to split the bunch but this isn’t Belgium and the experts of the echelon are doing the GP E3 Harelbeke."

Based on last week, the Paris-Nice boys would do something very interesting with this parcours. Everything's upside down.
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/quintana-affected-by-snow-and-cold-in-catalunya

Quintana:
    Asked about the rest of the Colombians in the race. and how they had performed collectively, he answered with a smile, "you'll have to ask them when they get here."
    Haha :lol:
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • frenchfighter
    Bennett and Aru
    SPTDW456-1.jpg
    SPTDW453-3.jpg

The odd thing is that lots of riders didnt have gloves and many without full fingered gloves.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I like the fact that it's down to crosswinds to save this race...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Bennett and Aru
    SPTDW456-1.jpg
    SPTDW453-3.jpg

The odd thing is that lots of riders didnt have gloves and many without full fingered gloves.

Never ceases to amaze me that professional riders can be so badly equipped. OK I accept that most of them don't come from UK type climates and they have team kit but even so how hard is it to buy some winter gloves?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I Cannondale or Astana Colours..? Probably very

Trouble is it takes one photo like that of them in Casteli (or whoever) gloves and the whole point of sponsoring the team kit has gone down the pan
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wot's going on here then? Echelons yet?
  • Mezgec already won another sprint
  • frenchfighter
    Nice, three wins is impressive, even if there are not many sprinters here at all. Takes G-Shim's tally to 13, 2nd in the table behind OPQS on 16.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    Nice, three wins is impressive, even if there are not many sprinters here at all. Takes G-Shim's tally to 13, 2nd in the table behind OPQS on 16.

Giant-Shimano having a great start to the season. And to think they nearly didn't have a sponsor...
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Wow, that was an interesting parcours, 20km downhill on a motorway? Epic...
  • Paul 8v
    Roland in a breakaway group with one team member from each of the usual suspects. Few time gaps shown but looks like they won't last and it will end in a sprint. I think they said it was another long downhill on straight open roads.

Who designs these parcours? Is Catalunya that dull that it warrants such a boring route?
  • Paul 8v
    OK, looks like they could do this, parcours is a bit more interesting now. There's corners and everything
  • Paul 8v
    Well that was a lot more interesting than I anticipated!
  • frenchfighter
    Very disappointed by this race even if there were some moments of excitement. Can only hope for some all or nothing action on tomorrow's circuit.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    I´ll be up on Montjuic tomorrow. If the racing´s a bit dull, I´ll let the riders know all about it, dont you worry
  • Macaloon
    WarrenBarguil 5:52pm via Twitter for iPhone

Happy when contador touch me and say felicitation for the day before @albertocontador #fan
    Retweeted by johndegenkolb and 12 others
  • Richmond Racer
    Macaloon wrote:

Happy when contador touch me and say felicitation for the day before @albertocontador #fan

What´s Bert doing touching him :shock:
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Macaloon wrote:

He thought he was saxo
  • Richmond Racer
    Macaloon wrote:

He thought he was saxo

He wasnt angling for a Tinkoff....?
  • frenchfighter
    Macaloon wrote:

You just made my day.

Barguil had ants in his legs that day. Contador has a lot of friends in the peloton and is well liked; not hard to see why.
    Contador is the Greatest