Yay Purito!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    dish_dash wrote:
    Yay Purito!

*blows kiss*
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Interesting finish. Uran in 13th (just behind Duran...), Adam Yates in 17th. Horner a bit off the pace but not as far off as Betancur.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Finally managed to watch that marathon of nothingness.
    3 hours for 1km of Purito's party piece.
    Contador's form looking a bit sketchy after just one week.
    Must be thinking tomorrow will be raced to the top.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I know it hurts you to see him back to a great level but dont get your hopes up Blazing. No conclusions can be drawn from today. You are dreaming if you think Contador had lost it. 5secs down on the pocket rocket and 2nd on the stage. Froome was another handful of seconds off - does that mean he has lost it? No, its just a cold weather 1km skirmish.
    inseine wrote:
    Interesting finish. Uran in 13th (just behind Duran...), Adam Yates in 17th. Horner a bit off the pace but not as far off as Betancur.

Great job Yates. Betancur went out early for some reason. Aru in 11th - very happy about that.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    I know it hurts you to see him back to a great level but dont get your hopes up Blazing. No conclusions can be drawn from today. You are dreaming if you think Contador had lost it. 5secs down on the pocket rocket and 2nd on the stage. Froome was another handful of seconds off - does that mean he has lost it? No, its just a cold weather 1km skirmish.
    inseine wrote:

Great job Yates. Betancur went out early for some reason. Aru in 11th - very happy about that.

The reason being this race wasn't on his programme. Late change, riding in support of Pozzovivo and Bardet.
    Maybe go for a stage.
    Oh and read the last line of my post, touchy boy.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    the Inner Ring ‏@inrng 6m
    Carlos Betancur @cabg1989 tweets he's suffering from a fever and is out of the @VoltaCatalunyaE
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Betancur's not riding for GC apparently. Stage-hunting.

^Honker. I'd like a word with the review yer post slayer.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Chris Horner 47 seconds off the pace, haven't seen him do much this year. I would have thought with his Vuelta performance last year he would have been in the mix a bit more.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Seems the only thing left that can stop J-Rod on these finishes is the rainbow jersey. Is he uniquely over-geared with sprinting fibres, which are excess baggage on longer climbs? Do the other GC riders not work so much on the 'classics' band?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • tells a lot

16 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica Greenedge
    17 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ.fr
    18 Daniel Martin (Irl) Garmin Sharp
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Macaloon wrote:
    Seems the only thing left that can stop J-Rod on these finishes is the rainbow jersey. Is he uniquely over-geared with sprinting fibres, which are excess baggage on longer climbs? Do the other GC riders not work so much on the 'classics' band?

He's the best (only?) long climb puncheur by a country mile. His only real competitor is Valverde and they seem to be very good at divvying out the wins between them?

Interesting that no one has mentioned it was Froome lighting it up (Kirby, 2014)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    The word is that it may be sub zero temperatures on the finishing climb tomorrow. Stage in doubt, perhaps?

Certainly don't expect much from Froome & Quintana, if so. They seem to like the cold the least.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Purito way too strong. He's looking in good shape for the Ardennes classics.

Absolutely terrible commentary from Carlton.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Chris Horner 47 seconds off the pace, haven't seen him do much this year. I would have thought with his Vuelta performance last year he would have been in the mix a bit more.

Horner had a slower pick-up from the off season than all the others so we can't read too much into things yet ... Still 6 weeks until the Giro and at his age I think that holding form is an issue so being a bit off the pace here but still getting the racing miles in should hopefully see him in some form for the Giro ...

Bit worried about him having to ride for Cunego though ... Hopefully smoke & mirrors as no-one is gonna let Horner away after last year so how he can help DC (who is only good for a long breakaway on a mid mountain stage) is anyones guess ...

If allowed to ride as a leader I see Horner vs Evans being a battle for 3rd in May ... which is a result for either at this stage in the game ...
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I know there are lots of politics involved but if I was in charge I'd be inclined to go with Horner as leader as opposed to Cunego. It seems ages since "the Little Prince" did anything. Horner's Vuelta result showed he is up for it and probably keen to show it wasn't a fluke
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Looks like a lovely sunny day, albeit one that is going to be cold.

BjuHT4iIAAApGFC.jpg

I'm guessing we'll see Purito and Bertie fight it out today. Froome looked like he might be a little short yesterday and Quintana's still getting over the virus he had coming into the race so I don't think he'll contest too much.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Horner's pulled out, according to Lampre
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Twitter saying that could be costly for his 'pay-per-performance' contract.....
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Crampeur wrote:
    Horner's pulled out, according to Lampre

hate to say i told them so...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Crankbrother
    I guess we'll see what happens in May ... It's all starting to sound a bit familiar :?
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I've actually got a bit of sympathy for Horner. Not getting a team spot until the 11th hour can hardly be the best prep for the start of the season. for his sake I hope he can pull off a few decent performances at some point.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Give the old guy a break.

He's probably as much suffering from brittle bones in the cold as getting tired of the constant gyp for smelling a bit of wee.
    He's another addition to what is rapidly becoming like a care home for the GC contenders...
    Quintana's been poorly - as has Porte; now it's Betancur... Nibali needs a rest, Froome did his back in, Evans can't remember where he put his mojo, Wiggins is constantly AWOL - only to be found round the back looking a bit confused with several days beard growth… Fingers crossed Uncle Bertie doesn't have a fall.

At this rate we'll have Pozzovivo winning the Giro and Pinot winning the Tour - imagine that.
  • Crankbrother
    I've actually got a bit of sympathy for Horner. Not getting a team spot until the 11th hour can hardly be the best prep for the start of the season. for his sake I hope he can pull off a few decent performances at some point.

Likewise, but unfortunately in hard-selling himself to get any kind of contract he has set himself up to fall hard if he doesn't come up with something ...

It doesn't help that other GT/Stage Racers are now racing more than ever, and at the sharp end ... Horner just isn't there yet and as mentioned previously, his age likely precludes winning form over several points in the season ...
  • blazing_saddles
    I don't know why folks would expect anything else.
    This has been Horner's MO for the past few seasons.
    Probably means he'll turn up somewhere, at some point in the season and ride everybody
    into the dust. (then be injured again)
  • frenchfighter
    60ks to race, uben Plaza Molina (Movistar Team), Stef Clement (Belkin Pro Cycling Team), Thomas De Gendt (Omega Pharma - Quick-Step), and Maxime Mederel (Team Europcar) have 4mins.

Would be interested to see if TDG can oull one off here.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Garry Beckett ‏@Rockybucket 1m
    20km to finish & @1000m its snowing, we are finishing @ 2200m! I suspect it might be 'orrid up there !
  • frenchfighter
    gap sub 3mins now as they start climbing. Acevedo has countered solo.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    Teledeportes on.
    Weather at the finish is zero visibility.
    Heli's doubtful, therefore coverage doubtful.