Has noddergeddon started this year?

alan_sherman
alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
edited April 2019 in Commuting chat
This week has been very busy on my commute. Seems like it is that time of year when the summer warriors hoard onto the road with their bikes. Understandably after the rains I suppose. Anyone else think the same this week?

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Outrageous :shock:

How dare these impostors take up the road from 'proper' cyclists :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    In full flow im taking to PT to get away from them all!

Only joking.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    The bike store at work is already full. I fear there will come a day when there is no room left and I have to turn around and go home.

When I say 'fear' I, of course, mean 'look forward to'.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I'm looking to start doing my commute by bike so yes, its beginning.

Why you would ever want to ride in during the winter I will never understand, its just too dark and far for me personally.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Lancew wrote:
    I'm looking to start doing my commute by bike so yes, its beginning.

Why you would ever want to ride in during the winter I will never understand, its just too dark and far for me personally.

?
    Are you migratory?
  • I would say no, I think your nodder has been relaively hardy through the winter months so we have seen quite good numbers (See TFL Cycle flows data: http://data.london.gov.uk/datafiles/tra ... s-tlrn.xls) but I think the normal nodder sees it as cold and threatening, I would say we have about two weeks to go before the main field of nodders arrive.

I think a confusing factor has been the reinforcing of 'Allez Man' this year, for whatever reason Evans has been churning out sub £1k bikes to choppers at the rate of one a second, thus ballooning the field of hockey sock wearing idiots incapable of shoulder checking or riding in a straight line. These Jonno's and Charlies, being more akin to the Rugby field to an A road, are far less phased with a bit of rain and see the full befefit of still being able to listen to their Ipods while having the added advantage of getting to roll out their 'Loughborough University Ireland Hockey Tour 2004' Jersey five days a week.

As a footnot I would point out we definately have not hit tit monday yet in terms of temperature which normally coincides with Noddergeddon.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Tit Monday normally hits around the National

One of my friends has gone for a very early shout of 24th March
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    errr my name is Charlie and I (occasionally) ride in rugby socks
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I would say no, I think your nodder has been relaively hardy through the winter months so we have seen quite good numbers (See TFL Cycle flows data: http://data.london.gov.uk/datafiles/tra ... s-tlrn.xls) but I think the normal nodder sees it as cold and threatening, I would say we have about two weeks to go before the main field of nodders arrive.

I think a confusing factor has been the reinforcing of 'Allez Man' this year, for whatever reason Evans has been churning out sub £1k bikes to choppers at the rate of one a second, thus ballooning the field of hockey sock wearing idiots incapable of shoulder checking or riding in a straight line. These Jonno's and Charlies, being more akin to the Rugby field to an A road, are far less phased with a bit of rain and see the full befefit of still being able to listen to their Ipods while having the added advantage of getting to roll out their 'Loughborough University Ireland Hockey Tour 2004' Jersey five days a week.

As a footnot I would point out we definitely have not hit tit monday yet in terms of temperature which normally coincides with Noddergeddon.

I had to laugh when reading this as I overtook a Loughborough Uni cycling club guy last night
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    coriordan wrote:
    Well done! Admitting you have a problem is the hardest step...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • arran77
    WarrenG wrote:

You lot aren't very welcoming towards any new blood are you :shock:

Are you only a 'real' commuter if you're die hard and cycle all year whatever the weather :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    If you leave home at 6.30am there is no noddergeddon.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • coriordan wrote:

On a weekend, do you like to sport a popped collar?
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • warreng
    arran77 wrote:
    WarrenG wrote:

Are you only a 'real' commuter if you're die hard and cycle all year whatever the weather :lol:

What are you quoting me for? I was just reminiscing about Tit Monday
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    arran77 wrote:
    WarrenG wrote:

You need to look up 'Tit Monday'. It has nothing to do with commuting and everything to do with the weather.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I too ride an Allez Sport. Although I got it from the Specialized Store in Covent Garden not an Evans store....

I don't have the funds to get a nice Roubaix yet.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • arran77
    WarrenG wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    WarrenG wrote:

What are you quoting me for? I was just reminiscing about Tit Monday

Explain 'Tit Monday' then to the unenlightened.

seanoconn
  • arran77
    Asprilla wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    WarrenG wrote:

You need to look up 'Tit Monday'. It has nothing to do with commuting and everything to do with the weather.

Ok, my bad but I think I might refrain from googling 'tit' on a work computer :lol:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    arran77 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    WarrenG wrote:

Ok, my bad but I think I might refrain from googling 'tit' on a work computer :lol:
    You need the low standards of the motor trade.
    Tit Monday is that special day in the year when, for the first time, the temperature rises above that magical point which causes girls getting dressed in the morning to decide to show a bit of skin.

"I was feeling a lot chirpier than usual this Monday morning. Probably because it was 'Tit Monday'."
  • warreng
    But just to be clear, the rules state it doesn't actually have to be a Monday
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • Anonymous
    coriordan wrote:

My overcoat always has an upturned collar.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    coriordan wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

My overcoat always has an upturned collar.

withnail.jpg
  • Anonymous
    I am partial to a swig of white spirit, it must be said
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Lancew wrote:
    I too ride an Allez Sport. Although I got it from the Specialized Store in Covent Garden not an Evans store....

I don't have the funds to get a nice Roubaix yet.

"I woke up today to be frozen by the burning Sun, drenched dry by the endless rain and still I set upon my daily commute up my nice Roubaix".

It's like saying a nice Ford Focus, Rover 200, Vauxhall Vectra
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • RedWheels
    RedWheels Posts: 56
    A bike shop near me has put up a sign saying they will only accept road bikes.

i guess to stop the 'i am thinking about commuting now that the weather is good, can you take a look at my crusty mountain-bike which hasn't seen the light of day in 2 years and doesn't know what being clean feels like since in left the store' people

i quite like the busy streets. cars are more aware when there are hundreds of erratic cyclists around, keeps them observant and on their toes and less likely to hit me as a result.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I think we had a precursor for it on monday/Tuesday after the warm weekend. However the weather drew back a bit and with it did the nods.

I confess i went too early for jersey and armwarmers this week...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Interesting to note the Cycleflow data has been updated even since my original addition to this threat, still increasing on last year's numbers and more cycling in biblical floods that there were in the summer of 2009!
  • arran77
    Veronese68 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    WarrenG wrote:

You need the low standards of the motor trade.
    Tit Monday is that special day in the year when, for the first time, the temperature rises above that magical point which causes girls getting dressed in the morning to decide to show a bit of skin.

"I was feeling a lot chirpier than usual this Monday morning. Probably because it was 'Tit Monday'."

I think the construction industry probably has equally low standards but I thought it best not to just on case :lol:

At least I know now what we're talking about......when I worked in London scantily clad women was probably the only thing going for the place :wink:

seanoconn
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    ddraver wrote:
    I think we had a precursor for it on monday/Tuesday after the warm weekend. However the weather drew back a bit and with it did the nods.

I confess i went too early for jersey and armwarmers this week...

Yep same here in Windshire, the last three days have been so foggy you wouldn't see a car until it was too late and freezing cold.

Back to full deep winter gear for me
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    arran77 wrote:
    At least I know now what we're talking about......when I worked in London scantily clad women was probably the only thing going for the place :wink:
    Why do you think I work in London :wink:

Anyhow, good to see that commuting bike snobbery is still alive and kicking...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]