Paris - Nice 2014 *Spoilers*

Comments

• EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Macaloon wrote:
    I'm all for the excitement Nibali's descending brings. But has he ever been rewarded for the amount of risk he takes? His aggressive style may have cost him a rainbow jersey, in Italy, and one day his luck will run out on another GT spill.

It's a predictable trademark move. Odd he hasn't binned it.

Stage 14, 2010 Giro D'Italia. I remember it because it was very impressive, gained 23 seconds. Stage 6 2011 Vuelta - Nibs and three others from Liquigas went off on the descent to the line, gained 17 seconds. Tirreno last year (or was that more the weather)?

But I would agree, it doesn't work often or decisively enough to be genuine danger for his rivals. Good for a smattering of seconds or a stage win plus it's pretty entertaining at times (which is why I remember the two examples above - i'm not just a mad pedant).
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    ddraver wrote:
    Agree with Macca - I do genuinely wonder if its said by any other cycling commentator or if it's just something Phil/Paul/Carlton have just sort of made up and perpetuated...

A few months ago there were comments by Cavendish about an unamed rider wondering why he had such a reputation as a great descender. Pretty sure it was Nibali who was being referred to
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited March 2014
    A few months ago there were comments by Cavendish about an unamed rider wondering why he had such a reputation as a great descender. Pretty sure it was Nibali who was being referred to
    It was the other way around - an unnamed rider (but almost certainly Cavendish) saying that Nibali was a crap descender.

At least this is what I'm referring to: https://twitter.com/friebos/status/332875888309977088
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    The quote I remember from Cav was basically saying all the GC contenders are a bit crap at descending compared to the sprinters in the grupetto if you look at the respective speeds, but certain GC guys get plaudits for being great downhill.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    On-bike camera footage on descents. Split screen - Nibali vs Cav. Why is this not normal?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Its great to watch some fast downhill antic's.

Nib has crashed on more than a few occasions but he never seems to lose confidence.

Remember when Contador took off in the tour last year and Froome made the mistake of trying to stay with him and they crashed.
    It could have been all over for Froome. Not the smartest move trying to follow Contador, especially as he had a nice time gap.

And what about Vockler going into the car park or Armstrong across the field trying to chase down Vino.

It's great TV IMO or the media viewing system of your choice.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Macaloon wrote:
    On-bike camera footage on descents. Split screen - Nibali vs Cav. Why is this not normal?

So you're talking scenario where Nibs is at the front and Cav's in the gruppetto decending like mad to make up time after getting dropped? Because on mountain stages the tv fat controllers arent going to direct their motos to spend much time on the gruppetto at the back vs the action at the head of the race
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    rayjay wrote:
    Remember when Contador took off in the tour last year and Froome made the mistake of trying to stay with him and they crashed.
    It could have been all over for Froome. Not the smartest move trying to follow Contador, especially as he had a nice time gap.

I remember that slightly differently, Contador crashing and Froome having to take evasive action i.e. it was Contador's bike handling that was lacking and Froome did well to avoid him.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon wrote:

So you're talking scenario where Nibs is at the front and Cav's in the gruppetto decending like mad to make up time after getting dropped? Because on mountain stages the tv fat controllers arent going to direct their motos to spend much time on the gruppetto at the back vs the action at the head of the race

And the cameras are mounted on the bikes. The slo-mo guy picks a few sweeping/sharp bends. After both Nibali and Cav run through they show footage as a split screen replay. Even cricket can do this stuff.
  • RichN95.
    Macaloon wrote:
    And the cameras are mounted on the bikes. The slo-mo guy picks a few sweeping/sharp bends. After both Nibali and Cav run through they show footage as a split screen replay. Even cricket can do this stuff.
    Something has to relay the TV signals back to the studio. This is usually a helicopter. Cricket has permanent installations to do this as it doesn't move along the road with the players several miles apart.
  • Macaloon
    RichN95 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    Something has to relay the TV signals back to the studio. This is usually a helicopter. Cricket has permanent installations to do this as it doesn't move along the road with the players several miles apart.

Granted it might be while before rider's carry their own dish, but a relay to a local moto of the relevant footage for later broadcast can't be too hard. Would make amazing coverage of bunch sprints too.

And... who wouldn't want to see Kwiatowski's view of the front echelon breaking away on THAT stage.
  • RichN95.
    Macaloon wrote:
    Granted it might be while before rider's carry their own dish, but a relay to a local moto of the relevant footage for later broadcast can't be too hard. Would make amazing coverage of bunch sprints too.

And... who wouldn't want to see Kwiatowski's view of the front echelon breaking away on THAT stage.
    You still have to relay from the local moto back to the studio. Still going to need some expensive kit. Probably a helicopter.
    And you seem to want everyone to have a camera to ensure we get the relevant shot. So that's 200 signals that have to be picked up.

It's technically possible, but you're looking at a prohibitive sum of money to do it. Putting half a dozen cameras on bikes and hoping to get something worthwhile using the already existing relays is a better bet.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited March 2014
    A good few minutes of descending is not going to change my mind about this race. It's terrible this year.
  • Macaloon
    RichN95 wrote:
    You still have to relay from the local moto back to the studio. Still going to need some expensive kit. Probably a helicopter.
    And you seem to want everyone to have a camera to ensure we get the relevant shot. So that's 200 signals that have to be picked up.

It's technically possible, but you're looking at a prohibitive sum of money to do it. Putting half a dozen cameras on bikes and hoping to get something worthwhile using the already existing relays is a better bet.

Local moto to studio is how we get TV pictures. Steal some of that bandwidth.

I'm suggesting exactly what you are. Guess the key points in the stage, descent or sprint, sprinkle cameras accordingly.
  • RichN95.
    Macaloon wrote:
    Local moto to studio is how we get TV pictures. Steal some of that bandwidth.
    It's a bit more complicated than that:
    HF-Complex-Long-Distance-System.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Nice graphic. I think the way a race is filmed is extremely important. Some shots leave you marvelling - it is easy to tell the differing qualities of camera work race to race.

A solution would be to remove the live element and use the recorded footage from on-bike cams in the highlights show.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Not to bang on about it... too much, and I really do appreciate that there's serious technology required. But. Given all of the above infrastructure, squeezing some additional traffic back to base should be a piece of p1ss.
  • This is probably of little relevance but the aeroplanes in Rich's graphic look suspiciously like Mitsubishi Zeros! :shock:

DD.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    r0bh wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

I remember that slightly differently, Contador crashing and Froome having to take evasive action i.e. it was Contador's bike handling that was lacking and Froome did well to avoid him.

Like I said, Froome did not need to chase so hard and it could have ended in disaster for him.
    Froome did well to avoid a serious injury.

Lesson learnt?,,, will have to see.

Nibali will take every chance he gets in this years tour and it could put Froome under pressure if we get a couple of rainy days.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Macaloon wrote:
    Not to bang on about it... too much, and I really do appreciate that there's serious technology required. But. Given all of the above infrastructure, squeezing some additional traffic back to base should be a piece of p1ss.
    For post race analysis you wouldn't even need a live feed (Although that would be cooler) to do the splits you would just have to download the riders gopro or equivalent and then edit it.
    When I was in France last year for the tour I watched the stages on French TV and the programmes went on for ages afterwards so there would be plenty of time to do this. It's not like here where it cuts off mid sentance , goes to an advert break and comes back to the 2014 world ping pong championships in Bratislava or something...

As Macaloon says, the technology can't be too hard to sort out, although that graphic is quite impressive.
  • RichN95.
    Paul 8v wrote:
    As Macaloon says, the technology can't be too hard to sort out, although that graphic is quite impressive.
    It's not the difficulty of doing it - it's the cost. You need value for money.

By coincidence, Inner Ring has been writing about TV coverage today: http://inrng.com/2014/03/the-40km-sprint/#more-18942
  • Macaloon
    RichN95 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    It's not the difficulty of doing it - it's the cost. You need value for money.

By coincidence, Inner Ring has been writing about TV coverage today: http://inrng.com/2014/03/the-40km-sprint/#more-18942

It's a necessary investment in the product. If the coverage falls too far behind other sports you'll look less attractive to sponsors etc... And the upside is tremendous from just a couple of jaw-droppers per GT.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    This is probably of little relevance but the aeroplanes in Rich's graphic look suspiciously like Mitsubishi Zeros! :shock:

DD.

Agreed. It's a bit Pearl Harbour out there
  • RichN95.
    Nasty finish tomorrow

PROFILKMS.jpg
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    the Tour of California has had on the bike footage in the past https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA9AeYQTivQ Some riders had rear mounted cameras on their saddle rails and others on the bars pointing forward. I cant remember any footage from descents but the sprint was good as was the team time trial.

The neutral service mechanics had helmet cameras on as well so you'd see them getting off the motorbike and then getting footage of the wheel change and things like that.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    RichN95 wrote:
    Nasty finish tomorrow

PROFILKMS.jpg

Tourettes is going to be f***ing c**ty b*ll*cks hard
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    IAM kit is gorgeous;
    SPTDW146-1-660x440.jpg
    SPTDW150-1-660x440.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    Prefer FDJ but aye, the best two kits in the Peloton by far.

I must say, I have really enjoyed this P-N so far
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @dd... And that will only end in tears
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    ... But if it brings the Americans in