My Cannondale RZ120-1

Comments

• From what i had read the race face is the best. also comes in a range of colours.
  • Thanks for all the advise ref the wheels, i am going to have a think about what i want and then take it form there. I am also going to go through the boring task of stripping down the current ones to weigh them minus cassett and tyres etc. Then ive got an idea what im looking at. Might just look at getting some light tyres in the meantime.

Will have bike back late tomorrow hopefully with all 1 x 10 fitted will update then.
  • mali01
    mali01 Posts: 81
    Just seen your ad in the classifieds. Decided against going 1x10?
  • Check this out !

CA0FE960-3028-4F14-A583-9E306D85763C_zpsjqshvosx.jpg

AA3AABF3-1482-4C94-96D5-CBE23C026277_zpsvluemfvi.jpg

576E9526-03C1-4E9B-B3F8-124BF6887BE9_zpsxrlrvmj7.jpg

Super smooth and super sleek looking

Saved 2lbs in weight too !
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    2lbs is a lot, good job! Lillywhite79 get the works components one, it's far cheaper (£35)
  • WindyG wrote:
    Looks good now get and ride it

Cannock chase route tomorrow including stile cop DH route :)
  • Cqc wrote:
    2lbs is a lot, good job! Lillywhite79 get the works components one, it's far cheaper (£35)
    Tell me about it could not believe it but it was weighted on a park stand with park scales before and after so accurate :)
  • Bike now weighs 28.9lbs
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Never really liked Cannondales but I'll admit, that looks really good!
  • ej2320 wrote:
    Never really liked Cannondales but I'll admit, that looks really good!
    Thanks mate :D
  • Looks awesome great good job, let us know how you get on at Cannock Chase today pls, interested to hear how well it performs

Did you do the conversion yourself or ask a bike shop? Trying to decide whether to attemot this myself or just take it to a professional as have limited tools (and skill)!

Did you need a shorter chain if so what size?

Did you remove one of the shifters?

cheers
  • Cqc wrote:

Cheers will take a look
  • Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    Im looking at going 1 x 10 with my bike, what cranks are they?? Looking at a half decent set to try it with that wint break the bank if I dont like it.. :)
  • Dawesy92 wrote:
    Im looking at going 1 x 10 with my bike, what cranks are they?? Looking at a half decent set to try it with that wint break the bank if I dont like it.. :)

They are just the standard SRAM crankset running then with the shitty bottom bracket from standard, they have a bb30 capable shell running an English threaded insert.

Next mod will be to change the cranks (hollow) remove the insert and run a proper nice bb30
  • What a weekend ....

Cannock was packed on Sunday ! Busiest I have ever seen it ... Trails were also very hard to ride ..all the rain had washed the mud away leaving pebbles everywhere son the corners were like trying to turn on marbles !

I'm sure some of this could be down to my set up and riding skill or lack of it so

Any tips on set up appreciated perhaps there are some good videos on understanding set up shock adjustment and or tyre pressures etc ?

Managed to take 5 seconds of one of the main "runs" which was nice but need to get the set up right

1 x 10 was brilliant no dropped chains or slap all day highly recommend.

In other news on the last section rocky rollers my friend had a big off was taken via ambulance to Stafford hospital I went along with him and other fellas took bikes back in the van.

Left hospital at about 11PM 180 miles from home 3 broken ribs and a collarbone dislocation later.... Some women was at the chase when were were there getting airlifted out due to her leg bone no longer being in her leg !
  • Ok so was time to see what some real tyres could do after not being happy with factory tyres

After hours of reading it seems these are perfect for me and have won several group tests

Continental Rubber queen / black chilli

image_zpsd2a8f3d6.jpg

Whilst messing about with the tyres I decided to also go tubless too.

Got the stans kit and in no time it was done, because the tyres were new and folding the bead was flat so I left the overnight fitted to the rims with tubes to shape the bead.

When I inflated the tyres to seat the rims without any sealant as advised in the instructions there were no leaks :) I was tempted to leave it at that but decided to add some liquid no tubes to be safe.

image_zpsba0a4188.jpg

The tyres look amazing on the bike they are such large volume the 2.2 is a tight fit in the forks !

Rode Thetford Friday and they have transformed the bike and probably more noticeably my confidence knowing I've got some of the best tyres under me.

In other news I will be ordering a Thompson dropper soon as getting fed up moving post up and down, it's a massive chunk of cash but I want the lever not the remote any feedback on the things ?

Also been speaking to cannondale about removing the ETS sleeve from the frame and running a full BB30 set up which is also something I've got planned.

I am after some tips on suspension set up / rebound adjustment too if anyone has any advise or videos ? Would appreciate that, will start a thread in the appropriate section

Thanks for looking
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Great choice in tyres mate, I've had them for years and they're great :)
  • Cqc wrote:
    Great choice in tyres mate, I've had them for years and they're great :)

Thanks buddy I wanted the new "trail kings" but after speaking to continental direct I was advised they are exactly the same tyre and as of 2014 rubber queens will be called trail kings apparently rubber queens name puts people off :)

Last week I was chatting to a guy on a DH rig who was sponsored by conti and testing a new compound for the trail kings so watch this space :)
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    You'll be wanting the remote dropper not the lever. Levers on droppers are completely pointless, you need a remote to make full use of them
  • Have you gone tubeless using the stock Maddux Rims?
  • Have you gone tubeless using the stock Maddux Rims?

Yes mate on them I have,q although I thought they were dt Swiss rims
  • Its the spokes that are DT Swiss I believe, which is why theres a small red DT Swiss sticker on each rim. T
    he actual Rims are cheaper 'maddux' brand. Interesting to learn that the Madduc rims are tubeless compatible as I thoight thet were not, so another change to make to mine soon ! :D
  • Its the spokes that are DT Swiss I believe, which is why theres a small red DT Swiss sticker on each rim. T
    he actual Rims are cheaper 'maddux' brand. Interesting to learn that the Madduc rims are tubeless compatible as I thoight thet were not, so another change to make to mine soon ! :D

I used the stans no tubes kit mate although like I say when I fitted new tyres and inflated without anything in there they were holding air !

It does ride well now feel nicer to ride for sure and those tyres are amazing

What's next change for yours ? Are you still going 1x10 too ?
  • Ah cool will have to look into the no tubes kit

Yes Im still planning on going1 x 10, just waiting until I have the spare cash for the conversion. In the pic below is the new furry little four legged reason I cant upgrade my bike just at the mo!!!

EED958A5-407F-4ECE-851A-E4649092E0F5_zps9slfrzag.jpg
  • It's not cheap and depending on what tyres you go for you could save a bit of weight but unlikely if you run anything from the contis range. But it's the feel of the ride seems much better now.

As for the bike being on hold .... I "guess" that's a good enough reason ! :)
  • Rode the bike again yesterday evening at the local trails, really can not get over the diffrence the tyres and going tubless has made to the feel of the bike. Money well spent !

In other news my green gear and brake cables arrived yesterday . . . they are very green !
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Rode the bike again yesterday evening at the local trails, really can not get over the diffrence the tyres and going tubless has made to the feel of the bike. Money well spent !

Could you describe in more detail how it feels better.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Rode the bike again yesterday evening at the local trails, really can not get over the diffrence the tyres and going tubless has made to the feel of the bike. Money well spent !

Could you describe in more detail how it feels better.

Firstly i guess the thing to note is ive gone from "factory" tyres to probally the best all round XC tyre IMO money can buy so the grip on corners is brilliant there is more side grip and overall they feel more predictable. They also role very well. Ohh and look brilliant due to their large volume.

Second i guess the tubless is great too, it seems to have sofened things up but in a weired way its not like the suspension is soft . . its hard to explain. It also means i can run lower PSI but still maintaining safe levles of puncture resistance. ( Also helped by the PROTECTION tyre option from Continental )

Running low PSI yesterday on the trails i had non of the tyre rolling or wash out i have experianced before.

Overall i feel that although it seems/ed like a lot of money its the stark realisation that the tyres are the only thing that provides a contact point for the ground so pretty important :)
  • Lots of changes recently

- Went away fora few days to Gisburn forest

Stayed in a hotel

8AE3ABDE-F96A-4FAE-9506-B31BC2211DF5_zpshjg8xqso.jpg

It was amazing, I took some mud home

FA570E3E-5790-4AF3-B27C-FB0A11AE6CE8_zps9h3dlpnv.jpg

Brilliant brilliant few days, would recommend ! Some of the black sections I rode were serious stuff.