My Cannondale RZ120-1

Comments

• No worries friend said he may have some carbon ones can you run carbon ones with aluminium stem ?good idea ?
  • mali01
    mali01 Posts: 81
    its fine.
  • Ok thanks. Will see what he comes up with.
  • Ok now got a good mix of carbon spacers can someone advise if they should sit level or just above the top of the steerer tube ?

I assume it does not matter if the stem is slightly higher than the top of the steerer tube once all on.

Assume this is in fact how it clamps . . .

Any ideas on torque for the bolt that goes vertically through the top of the stem ? single bolt 5mm allen key thype thing no torque listed on the bolt or surrounding areas.

I can see stem bolts are 12NM
  • Stem needs to sit proud of the steerer so preload can be applied.
  • OK great i will set it all up later

Whats the process order

place spacers on

place stem on loose

tighten top bolt ( vertical through stem ? , torque for this ? )

tighten stem bolts

will this take the play from the headset etc ?

any help appreciated
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Just to be clear, the top cap is not for 'clamping' the stem on. The bolts on the stem are for that.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • mali01
    mali01 Posts: 81
    OK great i will set it all up later

Whats the process order

place spacers on

place stem on loose

tighten top bolt ( vertical through stem ? , torque for this ? )

tighten stem bolts

will this take the play from the headset etc ?

any help appreciated

There is no torque value for the stem cap. tighten by hand enough to stop play in the headset. you dont need to really wind hard on it at all, to much will just snap the star nut in the steerer tube.

Once top cap is tightened enough to eliminate headset play, tighten stem bolts and thats your lot :)

The stem should sit proud of the steerer tube by a few mm thats all, enough to tighten the top cap without the top cap and top of steerer tube touching.
  • Ok so picked up some carbon spacers today 50% lighter than standard although let's not get too excited :)!

0ED655E7-F4FF-438A-BAB9-3E4B7042F3EC_zpsiepejne5.jpg

95DA4265-6B10-49F5-8ACE-19839C1C79A3_zpspqaomxo0.jpg

4CC315B4-9EC1-42AE-85BE-992B1B07D2BE_zps0xosdoqh.jpg

And here is a few pics of it on

77C86BF8-BDB9-41A1-B2A2-3BD4EFBA6BF8_zpsw0fpztmr.jpg

8659EB1C-EF08-41BF-9E77-9EABC6286862_zpscfshnrup.jpg

45AEC503-8EF7-4535-8D0B-21AE6F3A1C8F_zpsoqtosn9w.jpg

Comments welcome - just hope it rides well now :)
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    Hi all after getting some advise on here and trying to decide between a Giant trance x3 and a few others I went to the shop to buy the giant and came back with this !

Wanted something for XC, jumps, light DH etc standard Cannock chase stuff

This is perfect fit being a large and considering the slightly smaller cannondale fit.

I'm so glad I opted to spend the extra £ the spec on this compared to the giant is epic and it looks great :)

235C872F-08AD-4796-B782-A0EFF326836F_zps3o7hswro.jpg

Got these saints too

C70516EE-2CA2-454F-8301-4C1CBD8251CA_zps6j3k6rab.jpg

Hope to get out and use it as much as possible learning how to ride it and how to ride trailes

Did you get this from Paul's cycles a couple of weeks ago? Think I saw it in store with the 'sold' tag on it..... :)
    It's been a while...
  • Yes I did but it must have been a different one as they went to get this from the warehouse while I was there and built it there and then

In other news

1 x 10 bits ordered today !
  • Fender Bender fitted

00FCC037-6F8D-4218-8B70-9239CEF69986_zpscsyghs25.jpg
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Was looking good until the Fender Bender, wheels will be a god upgraded, my wife has the same wheels and they are heavy. Whereabouts in Norfolk are you, I'm always around Thetford at weekends I don't do the public trails much though.
  • I actually like it... But we will see how long that lasts for.

I'm from Sandringham.

Want new wheels wanted cross max SLR's but after doing some research and help on here they may not be the best for what I need / shame I they look great with the minimal spoke design

Any surgestions ?
  • WindyG
    I have Superstar wheels, Crest's on EVO hubs, cheap, light & easy to maintain.
  • They seem to have various options on the websit, most white rims ha ! :) Ok I will take a look at them and check reviews etc any idea of current wheel weight ?
    -
  • WindyG
    Mine came in at 1640g, 10g under stated weight.
  • Thanks for this stil trying to get my head around all this weight saving its funny when we are talking in grams :)

I still have some weight to loose 5ft 10 and 14st aprox but its all progress i guess.

So all the bits for the 1 x 10 set up arrive today so i will get them on and start to enjoy riding the bike again hopefully with the new set up and this will of course save some weight also removing the front mech shifter and 2 chain rings etc, the mech should weigh less also.

Ref the wheels i think i will tacle this after the 1 x 10 bits are on. It is not somehting i am overly bothered about think the wheels are ok as they are but lots of people saying its a great upgrade so deffo want to do it once i have learnt more about what type of rider i am and what type of wheels i need. Example there are lots of options for the superstar wheels and also other option for more money also. . . at the moment for me every day is a school day !
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    WindyG wrote:
    I have Superstar wheels, Crest's on EVO hubs, cheap, light & easy to maintain.

Secret Rider, If you are thinking about these wheels then these are really are a cracking price, they were a very good price at £200, then £180 and now £140 nothing out there will beat this at the min.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=496

Its a shame they only have white left. I have stans flows on SS switch hubs had them for 6 months and not had a problem, build quality was great. Money well spent IMO.
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • WindyG
    Going 1x10 will save some weight, wheel and tyres are easily the best improvement that you will really notice.
    Shed a couple of st will be the cheapest way, just keep riding to sort that one out.
  • I guess I need to get my wheels stripped down and find out what they weigh so I can compare them so see savings per £
  • WindyG wrote:
    Was looking good until the Fender Bender, wheels will be a god upgraded, my wife has the same wheels and they are heavy. Whereabouts in Norfolk are you, I'm always around Thetford at weekends I don't do the public trails much though.

Have you weighed them? Im Interested to know how much the Maddux DC 3.O Discs actually weigh.
  • 1 x 10 bits here

37A58289-C9D4-4486-8230-1DBF43D820DB_zpskybu2wnw.jpg
  • Looking good - Like the green chain ring :-) Can you let me know what parts you have ordered and whats required for the 1 x 10 conversion pls ?
  • Sure it will all be fitted tomorrow providing I have not broken anything thing to get the crank arm off with the wrong type of tool for the BB :(

1 x 32 tooth Narrow wide race face chainring
    1 x e-thirteen single chain ring bolts pack (4)
    1 x zee clutched rear mech

People advised you could do it without the mech or chain ring but I hopefully this will be a proper job .

Will let you know how it goes tomorrow. . . . Also I chose 32 tooth 2 reasons

1 I am learning how to ride and also leg strength can be improved for up hills etc

2 there is soon to be a big cog adaptor for the rear cassette to stop peddling out when on DH sections although I tested it in the local stuff in 32 upfront and it felt fine to me ....

Cannock on Sunday so we will see :)

Glad you like the chainring .. Bolts are also green hahaha

You thinking about 1 x 10 also ?
  • WindyG
    WindyG wrote:

Have you weighed them? Im Interested to know how much the Maddux DC 3.O Discs actually weigh.

I did but didn't make a note of it, just remember they were heavier than my wheels, there are the wifes and she isn't that bothered.
  • Yes, def considering it, was thinking 2 x 10 but now you are going down this route I am keen to see how this turns out. Should look mega with the green chain ring :-) Although chainring looks quite expensive so will have to try and shop around. Can I ask where you got yours from?

Thanks for the info thats just what I needed as was going to ask about the rear mech and number of teeth for the chain ring. What happens to one of the shifters do you just remove along with the front mech?

Good luck with the fitting and at Cannock, looking forward to seeing it on the bike :-)
  • Me too , yes the chainring is expensive at £50 !

But the review made it worth it everyone says its epic and it's super light too.

Hold fire until after Sunday before shelling out for anything and I will give you some feedback on the setup then . I will be out on it for a short time Saturday too so can give you a little feedback then too
  • By the way I was also going to go 2 x 10 but after reading about peddling technique and hill climbing etc and doing some practice I found I was more efficient and able to climb bigger hills in a more controlled manor staying in the middle front cog ... Allowing me to keep a steady (non jerky) peddling flow.

Just my opinion / experience ... May change the more I ride
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Yes, def considering it, was thinking 2 x 10 but now you are going down this route I am keen to see how this turns out. Should look mega with the green chain ring :-) Although chainring looks quite expensive so will have to try and shop around. Can I ask where you got yours from?

Thanks for the info thats just what I needed as was going to ask about the rear mech and number of teeth for the chain ring. What happens to one of the shifters do you just remove along with the front mech?

Good luck with the fitting and at Cannock, looking forward to seeing it on the bike :-)

Just gone 1x10 on my trance, there's a few front chainring options now but they will all cost you around £40.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500