What is n+1 (when 1= missus agreeing if you lose weight)

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Without getting anymore pithy, I didn't realise that I had to justify my rationale for wanting aluminium beyond "I want my next bike to aluminium and this is how much I want to spend".

Of course you don't. It's just that everyone is trying to play the old game of 'try to find if there is any logic in DDDs thought processes'. It's a fruitless task but some folk enjoy it!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Everyones reasoning is going to be specific to them.
    Which is fine. But if your tastes are so specific and personal, why are you asking for recommendations from other people? What you're doing is the equivalent to starting a thread asking what to cook for dinner tonight, stipulating only that it must contain tomato.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Ribble Audax. Should leave you with change, which may please the missus.

Not sure it's the Golf GTI of the bike world, though.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Rolf F wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Without getting anymore pithy, I didn't realise that I had to justify my rationale for wanting aluminium beyond "I want my next bike to aluminium and this is how much I want to spend".

Of course you don't. It's just that everyone is trying to play the old game of 'try to find if there is any logic in DDDs thought processes'. It's a fruitless task but some folk enjoy it!
    Exactly! I would have thought that people would just ride along with the madness as oppose to try to understand it. List some alu bikes and move on before the thread degenerates into a flame/rant war about the virtues of having the correct name on a product, equality for fit female cyclists and why we should close down Cake Stop.

There is a deeper reason why I want alu for this bike. I may commute on it, I want to ride it all year round, and my goal is to lose more weight after the 2 stone/alu bike purcahse and then purchase a carbon wonder and/or Titanium bike. But reasons are specific to the individual, even the above may not make sense to some. But they are my own and bottom line, I want another alu bike before I go back to carbon.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    So Canyon, can you get them on the cycle to work scheme?

I know you can get the hoy on most b2w schemes - have you ignored that post...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Anyway, ew, discs on a road bike, nothing is sacred.
    Nothing is sacred, I ride it off road too. :lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    So Canyon, can you get them on the cycle to work scheme?

I know you can get the hoy on most b2w schemes - have you ignored that post...
    I have to be Hoy's bikes haven't grabbed my interest, I know that I can get them in Evans (so cycle to work) so I'll give them a look when the time comes.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

BURN THE HERETIC!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DonDaddyD
    Veronese68 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

:shock: I want you to know that this troubles me deeply and when I ride home tonight I will do so with a troubled mind. I shall sleep a broken sleep, screaming between snores the words "No, disc brakes" having been chased in dreamscape by an 'off-road road bike'. Gone is the image of the clean, waxed male adonis upon a shiny wheeled stallion designed for speed, elegance and grace.

Now all we have are mountain bikers on road bikes with, urgh, disc brakes.

Jesus wept.
    Food Chain number = 4

• tgotb
    Rolf F wrote:
    Actually, I was trying to be helpful; I'd completely forgotten what DDD's threads are like...

Other suggestions (realise I'm wasting my time but, as my elder daughter would say, wha'ever):
    Kinesis
    Alan
    Holdsworth
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,088
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    waxed

I thought you were more of a Nair man (if that's not an oxymoron).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tgotb
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

:shock: I want you to know that this troubles me deeply and when I ride home tonight I will do so with a troubled mind. I shall sleep a broken sleep, screaming between snores the words "No, disc brakes" having been chased in dreamscape by an 'off-road road bike'. Gone is the image of the slightly overweight middle-aged commuter upon a shiny wheeled stallion designed for speed, elegance and grace.

Now all we have are mountain bikers on road bikes with, urgh, disc brakes.

Jesus wept.
    FTFY
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • DonDaddyD
    TGOTB wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Actually, I was trying to be helpful; I'd completely forgotten what DDD's threads are like...

Other suggestions (realise I'm wasting my time but, as my elder daughter would say, wha'ever):
    Kinesis
    Alan
    Holdsworth
    Thanks man, appreciate it, none of these I would consider.

I want four bikes. Commuter alu, Nice alu, Carbon wonder and my Titanium flight of fancy. (This might reduce to three bikes as time progresses).
    Food Chain number = 4

• veronese68
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Exactly! I would have thought that people would just ride along with the madness as oppose to try to understand it. List some alu bikes and move on before the thread degenerates into a flame/rant war about the virtues of having the correct name on a product, equality for fit female cyclists and why we should close down Cake Stop.

There is a deeper reason why I want alu for this bike. I may commute on it, I want to ride it all year round, and my goal is to lose more weight after the 2 stone/alu bike purcahse and then purchase a carbon wonder and/or Titanium bike. But reasons are specific to the individual, even the above may not make sense to some. But they are my own and bottom line, I want another alu bike before I go back to carbon.
    Your reasons only have to make sense to you, none of the rest of it matters. I just view it the same as talking things over with mates in the pub. There's always an element of banter and mickey taking, but there is sound advice buried in there as well. I honestly cannot add much constructive to the discussion as there is so much choice and I am not well enough informed. Canyon is a good call, though I don't know if you can try before you buy. Although they now have a place in Kingston that had an open day when it first opened. I don't know if that will be a regular thing.
    In response to disc brakes and getting mucky I give you my ali and 105 beauty:
    IMG_0361.jpg
  • veronese68
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Kinesis
    Alan
    Holdsworth

I want four bikes. Commuter alu, Nice alu, Carbon wonder and my Titanium flight of fancy. (This might reduce to three bikes as time progresses).
    Sigma do Kinesis and cyclescheme and hey're not too far from you. One of the guys in there rides a Kinesis Racelight and speaks very highly of it. I got mine in there on the cyclescheme. See, I can be helpful.
  • rjsterry
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Kinesis
    Alan
    Holdsworth

Really? Kinesis have a pretty good reputation.

What about a Ridley Fenix?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• As usual, the correct answer is the one that doesn't match any of your criteria:

Aluminum? Nope, 725 steel.
    105? Nope, not unless you can relax your budget a bit - Tiagra's fine.
    Red saddle? Nope.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/roa ... librium-10
  • rjsterry
    I resisted the temptation to suggest an Equilibrium, but that is clearly the sensible way forward. I've not heard a bad word against them.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• veronese68
    rjsterry wrote:
    I resisted the temptation to suggest an Equilibrium, but that is clearly the sensible way forward. I've not heard a bad word against them.
    Likewise. And they do a disc version now as well.
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    As the happy owner of an Equilibrium I'd agree, but DDD wants aluminium. I believe this was designed by the guy who designed the Equilibrium, it's ali, its 105 and it's £900...http://pinnacle-bikes.co.uk/road-and-cy ... -road-bike
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Likewise. And they do a disc version now as well.

They're relatively hefty. If you want something spritly then it's not the bike to go for.

Strangely enough, I've been thinking of getting an ali frame to use on the commute. I've got too used to the incredible fun of my CR1 that my steel bike (it was an Equilibrium and is now a Fratello) just feels sluggish. I was thinking about a Caad 10 or a Kinesis, but the Canyon's a good call. But then maybe I should look out for a carbon bargain. I only wish I'd bought two of the Scotts.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    trek madone 2.1

i despise trek but that is one hell of a bike.

dont buy carbon at £1000 from planet x. its shit. my CAAD9 rides nicer than my cheap planet x ever did.
  • tgotb
    spasypaddy wrote:
    trek madone 2.1

dont buy carbon at £1000 from planet x. its shoot. my CAAD9 rides nicer than my cheap planet x ever did.
    Spasypaddy does have a bit of a thing about Planet X, mind you. On the other side of the coin, I'm racing a Planet X cross frame (the same one used in their £1000 cross build, though I have different components) and it's absolutely fantastic. So good, in fact, that I'm planning to build another one for next season (nothing wrong with the one I've got, but having two bikes is quite handy).
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Rose Pro SL

full carbon fork, 105 transmission, Aksiums, Ritchey Stem / Bars and a Prologo saddle for £880

You can configure it all online if you want to upgrade any component.

Stonking value imho.
    <a>road</a>
  • rolf_f
    But then maybe I should look out for a carbon bargain. I only wish I'd bought two of the Scotts.

Happy to help...... http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBHOTRTIA/holdsworth-trentino-shimano-tiagra-carbon-road-bike
    (Only 200 quid more than a CR1 frame!)
  • k1875
    k1875 Posts: 485
    Rose Pro SL should tick your boxes (and better looking than canyon imo) but no chance of trying it beforehand unless you're planning a trip to Germany sometime soon.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    TGOTB wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    trek madone 2.1

dont buy carbon at £1000 from planet x. its shoot. my CAAD9 rides nicer than my cheap planet x ever did.
    Spasypaddy does have a bit of a thing about Planet X, mind you. On the other side of the coin, I'm racing a Planet X cross frame (the same one used in their £1000 cross build, though I have different components) and it's absolutely fantastic. So good, in fact, that I'm planning to build another one for next season (nothing wrong with the one I've got, but having two bikes is quite handy).
    i also dont really like cheap carbon.
  • rolf_f
    spasypaddy wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    trek madone 2.1

i also dont really like cheap carbon.

You do tend to sound a bit deranged on this subject! :wink::lol:
  • rjsterry
    They're relatively hefty.

Based on the OP, that might not be such a bad thing (and I don't mean that in a snarky way).
    Pinnacle Monzonite