Eurosport 2014 / Cycling

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Got to find a better replacement then.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    phil s wrote:

From what I hear it's very unlikely Eurosport will use him again.

Can't you get him a gig Phil? :P

That is bad news, as the current ES guys are pretty damn terrible. I'm sure they're nice guys but they're fairly woeful on the live coverage.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    phil s wrote:

From what I hear it's very unlikely Eurosport will use him again.

Can't you get him a gig Phil? :P

That is bad news, as the current ES guys are pretty damn terrible. I'm sure they're nice guys but they're fairly woeful on the live coverage.

Don't totally agree - Rob Hatch knows his Euro peloton stuff and Carlton is entertaining on the longer stages, though I do accept he's mighty iffy in other important areas. I hope Declan Quigley has been brushing up on old youtube clips to improve rider recognition.

They could do with pensioning off Sean Kelly though.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I quite like Kirby, he makes me laugh.
  • rick_chasey
    Carlton is entertaining on the longer stages,

They could do with pensioning off Sean Kelly though.
    Joelsim wrote:
    I quite like Kirby, he makes me laugh.

Get out. Both of you.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    I miss Harmon.

Just seen that Discovery have taken a majority stake in Eurosport. http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/j ... -tv-rights

I wonder what impact that will have on cycling coverage longer term, particularly if ES starts picking up football/rubgy etc rights...
  • Is Eurosports position with DH to due with his rapid disappearance last season?

Sad if true as he was ill.
  • rick_chasey
    Best not to speculate.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Dubai Tour - Kirby and Dan Lloyd for UK and Ant McMonotone doing international feed I think.
    Rob Hatch to do Vuelta a Andalucia.
  • Dubai Tour - Kirby and Dan Lloyd for UK and Ant McMonotone doing international feed I think.
    Rob Hatch to do Vuelta a Andalucia.

Further ahead, Rob Hatch is doing the Flanders classics for the international feed and Carlton / Dan Lloyd the Italian races for the international feed.

And anyone worried about missing stage 4 of Dubai - don't worry, Eurosport have it covered...

http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/search.shtml?query=cycling
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    And anyone worried about missing stage 4 of Dubai - don't worry, Eurosport have it covered...
    http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/search.shtml?query=cycling

LOL, 13 chances not to miss this.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Dan Lloyd is worth listening to, especially for Classics. He was magic on Flanders (I think) last year. First-hand accounts of the insanity behind the front group on the narrow twisty roads.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Macaloon wrote:
    Dan Lloyd is worth listening to, especially for Classics. He was magic on Flanders (I think) last year. First-hand accounts of the insanity behind the front group on the narrow twisty roads.

I'd rather listen to him many times over than Rob Hatch

Or Ant McCroissant
  • Macaloon wrote:

He definitely did E3 with Rob Hatch, using a mobile for most of it as the commentary gear packed up. Flanders was Dave Harmon and Sean Kelly.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    He definitely did E3 with Rob Hatch, using a mobile for most of it as the commentary gear packed up. Flanders was Dave Harmon and Sean Kelly.

Yep. Can't find it. Must have been a dream :shock:
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Macaloon wrote:

Yep. Can't find it. Must have been a dream :shock:

E3 and Flanders are pretty interchangable! It's not on youtube unfortunately, just the Dutch versions etc...
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    What race was it last year where they cut to an advert with about 60km to go then after the ad it was down to 30km and the commentary was literally being phoned in? Cobbles and farm tracks so early season classic, not sure if it was shown live but the broadcast I watched was supposed to be 'as live' despite 30 km pasing in a couple of minutes!
  • JackPozzi wrote:
    What race was it last year where they cut to an advert with about 60km to go then after the ad it was down to 30km and the commentary was literally being phoned in? Cobbles and farm tracks so early season classic, not sure if it was shown live but the broadcast I watched was supposed to be 'as live' despite 30 km pasing in a couple of minutes!

It was E3 Harelbeke. It went out live on Eurosport 2 in Europe but there was something else on British Eurosport (skiing probably) so we got it delayed. Because of the technical problems, British Eurosport subsequently cut a lot, such as how Cancellara got away to win - iirc.

Edit: have found the full Hatch / Lloyd version (mobile phone commentary included!) here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yHGMnynGoo

Just watching that back, I really can't wait for the new season to get properly underway!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Macaloon wrote:

IIRC Harmon was encouraging Cancellara to stick the knife in Sagan.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Literally...
  • rick_chasey
    I need to get my own place so I can get a euro satellite up.

Can't live with this English speaking set up. Would rather scrabble around for some sh!tty Dutch or Flemish feed than deal with Kirby, unfortunately.
  • Macaloon wrote:

IIRC Harmon was encouraging Cancellara to stick the knife in Sagan.

He'd have towelled him down and given him a massage such was his man-love for him that afternoon! I think he admitted as much though. Much missed and permanently by the looks of it.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    edited February 2014
    Seeing full races on Eurosport, I wish I had enough time to watch them all

Edit: I actually meant YouTube, but I don't have time to watch a whole race on Eurosport either, to be fair. Can anyone give me a job writing about cycling for a living?
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Will be sad not to hear harmon again, not a fan of kirby but if he's got dan lloyd or king kelly next to him so be it. As richmond racer said i hope we dont get rob hatch He's cringeworthy and says everybodys name like one of those bus holiday reps you get abroad,cross that with a failed smashy & nicey radio DJ. what next maybe they will get that nobend Jim White from sky sports :roll:
  • Last year, I ended up watching the GTs on Rai, France 2/3 and Sporza.
    Basically, any place where Kirby wasn't.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Will be sad not to hear harmon again, not a fan of kirby but if he's got dan lloyd or king kelly next to him so be it. As richmond racer said i hope we dont get rob hatch He's cringeworthy and says everybodys name like one of those bus holiday reps you get abroad,cross that with a failed smashy & nicey radio DJ. what next maybe they will get that nobend Jim White from sky sports :roll:

I like Rob Hatch, he knows the sport better than one or two others. I think he might do the Giro for Eurosport as Carlton will be otherwise engaged.
  • rick_chasey
    Last year, I ended up watching the GTs on Rai, France 2/3 and Sporza.

It is excruciating isn't it?
  • Last year, I ended up watching the GTs on Rai, France 2/3 and Sporza.

It is excruciating isn't it?

Anyone with Carlton withdrawal symptoms ahead of Dubai, he's chuckling his way through the European Rally highlights at 11pm tonight.
  • Brian Smith doing Dubai - I'm presuming he's teaming up with McCrossan for this. Not sure if this is the international feed?