Stages Power Meter - battery draining?

Comments

• Both my meters have been fine for about two months - just replaced the battery in my DA one - and it flattened a battery overnight. This is definitely something to do with battery replacement.
  • Escher303
    Escher303 Posts: 342
    Both my meters have been fine for about two months - just replaced the battery in my DA one - and it flattened a battery overnight. This is definitely something to do with battery replacement.

Andy, that's my experience too. I've had one since March, newer model with the red o-ring and on the fixed firmware (though not the very latest that's just come out as I don't have an iphone to update it). Had no issues at all for two months, battery was never taken out. Battery finally ran out and replaced with a new one.

Ever since it will drain a new battery overnight everytime. I have to take the battery out after every ride. There is no corrosion inside the battery housing, it has seen very little rain. I think this is a software/firmware issue but Stages do not agree.

It appears to me to be something to do with what it is doing when idle. I can ride many more hours with it switched on than it takes to drain the battery. I ride around 15 hours a week and if I take the battery out after each ride the charge has gone down very little and I would expect a battery to last well over 100 hours. However if I leave it in overnight when it is supposedly doing nothing it will have drained in less than 15 hours.

It *must* be doing something when idle that it isn't doing when working as the power usage is much, much less when in use. I have easily shown that the batteries last a long time if removed from the unit when not being used. It takes a lot less time to drain the battery if left in when idle.

I explained this all to Stages but they didn't acknowledge it as the problem and told me to get a warranty replacement. I'm not particularly keen to do that as it works fine and I don't want to be without it for weeks or months and I believe the problem will recur as I think there is another general issue here that they have not acknowledged. What you are saying seems to confirm what I have seen.

Have you heard of anyone else with this issue? Have you had any sense from Stages about this?
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    I would be surprised if Stages admit to any problems. It's a shame that people have paid good money, only to become product testers. It seems they have put these PMs onto the market before the issues have been thoroughly ironed out.
  • I have had mine for 13 days so far, I have the Dura Ace 7900 has the new seals etc.

First week it was fine, one ride with some light rain and it's now draining over night.

So disappointed!!!!!!!!!

Looks like I am sending back for a refund as I can not be doing with the hassle sending back to the retailer who then sends to Saddleback who then sends on to the USA. I am getting my money back ASAP!!!
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    edited October 2014
    Mine is still fine :)
  • Dezza
    Dezza Posts: 155
    Ive just received a replacement Ultegra crank after my original died after heavy rain (version with red O ring). Even after battery changes and firmware update, the PW wouldn't re-pair with my 810.

Its worrying that rain is still causing so many issues :(
  • Up date on where I am at. I purchased via Evans Cycles they are being a nightmare to get they money back! I had only had the PM for 2.5 weeks! So surely it's faulty it should be refunded if I wanted? Has any one else experienced issues with Evans? I was told on the phone I had used the item so it was a warranty issue now and would need to be sent off to be replaced, I don't want another so what do I do?
  • foggymike
    It sounds a bit of a grey area when you google it as the language is not exact. They just talk about "a short time". Any experts in the house?

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/c ... y_back.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/article ... as-amended
  • rickwiggans
    rickwiggans Posts: 416
    Introduce them to Sale of Goods Act.

Excerpt below from Which.

Your rights if an item is faulty
    In the first six months from when you buy something, the onus is on the seller to prove it was of satisfactory quality when you received it.
    If the seller simply says the problem must be due to something you've done, it's for them to prove that.
    If something is not of satisfactory quality, you have a statutory right under the Sale of Goods Act, to a refund, have it replaced or repaired for free.
    You can ask the retailer to do either, but it can normally choose to do whichever would be cheapest.
    If the retailer refuses to repair the faulty goods, you may have the right to arrange for someone else to repair them and claim compensation from the retailer for the cost of doing this.
    If the retailer refuses to provide any remedy, such as replacing the item, you can either have your money back minus an amount for the use you've had of it, or keep the item and get a reduction on the price you paid.
    If you're having problems and the shop won't repair or replace or replace your goods then it should be reported to your local Trading Standards department as they are breaching your statutory rights.
    It's worth telling the shop that you're going to do this as this could mean your complaint is then dealt with.
    If the retailer fobs you off, or blames the manufacturer, think about using your guarantee or warranty.

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • foggymike
    I think the grey area is that you are entitled to a refund, repair or replacement - but it doesn't say the customer has the choice to decide which one.
  • kayakerchris
    kayakerchris Posts: 361
    I presume you bought this on a credit card or even paid the first bit on a card and the rest on finance.

In that case your credit card company is equally liable.

I would print out this forum with a list of your problems and a letter asking for your money back and send it by recorded delivery to both Evans and the credit card company.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,195
    if it's borked you're entitled to a refund

if they are being awkward, ask them for the name and address at which a writ can be served as you're going to take them to court for refund plus all costs, also advise them that you are reporting them to trading standards (and do it)

you'd win, so they will take the least cost way out and give you a refund

if they're stupid enough to refuse, use the on-line small claims process and nail them

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online

in preparation, document every communication including voice, names, dates, content
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    So an update on my stages PM (DA 9000 version)

I have just had a low battery warning from my Garmin, connected the iPhone app up and the battery was showing as low charge so I have replaced it today. It's the newer red o-ring version so we will see how it performs.

For the first battery I got the following use out of it in case anyone is wondering what use to expect;

53h 17m. 739 miles. 1189km.
  • foggymike
    The claimed life is 200 hours isn't it but I expect that's based on constant use in a warm, sunny climate and will be the time until it stops working rather than changing it when the first warning comes up. I always thought it sounded optimistically long given it's transmitting ANT and Bluetooth. 53 hours from a £2.50 watch battery seems pretty reasonable in reality.
  • DHA987S
    Thats of actual riding time. Doesn't include pre-ride faff and also not sure how long till it goes to sleep post ride?
  • foggymike
    It's 5 minutes before it goes to sleep but I guess that's every time the cranks are turned in the house/garage/workstand etc.
  • JPJ001
    JPJ001 Posts: 40
    DHA987S wrote:
    For the first battery I got the following use out of it in case anyone is wondering what use to expect;

53h 17m. 739 miles. 1189km.

Out of interest what brand of battery are you using?
  • DHA987S
    Not sure what the original one was but now have some panasonic ones that I am using.

The original might have been duracell, but that isn't 100%
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    Apparently there's a firmware update that's just been released to help with the battery issues.
  • Dave_P1 wrote:
    Apparently there's a firmware update that's just been released to help with the battery issues.

Details here..

http://support.stagescycling.com/support/solutions/articles/1000043365-stages-power-meter-firmware-release-details-and
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • JPJ001
    I updated to v2.0.58 last night and put in a new duracell battery. Let's see how long this one lasts.

More detail on the firmware here - http://support.stagescycling.com/suppor ... etails-and
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I have been following this thread hoping the problem would soon be resolved.

As it looks like it is, I have just gone to buy and found that my Force BB30 cranks aren't supported.

Pah.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • nevermiss
    nevermiss Posts: 2
    JPJ001 wrote:
    I updated to v2.0.58 last night and put in a new duracell battery. Let's see how long this one lasts.

More detail on the firmware here - http://support.stagescycling.com/suppor ... etails-and

Good luck! I did the same except I used an Energizer battery and it was dead this morning after updating to v2.0.58 last night! So much for a "fix"!
  • JPJ001
    nevermiss wrote:
    JPJ001 wrote:

Good luck! I did the same except I used an Energizer battery and it was dead this morning after updating to v2.0.58 last night! So much for a "fix"!

I've done 10+ hours with multiple rides since changing the battery last week and it's showing full on the iPhone app.
  • JPJ001
    Just noticed a useful feature in Trainer Road, once the power meter is paired it shows the number of hours since the battery was replaced.

19 hours and still green in the iPhone app.

14592284110_2c6b403999.jpg
    tr by jpuleston1, on Flickr
  • nevermiss wrote:
    JPJ001 wrote:

I called Stages and they started a service ticket and recommended that I send in my unit. I was emailed a label to have it overnight shipped to CO. I received a couple emails over the course of a week and a loose wire was found, the unit was repaired, checked and overnighted back to me.

Works perfectly now! The customer service I've had with Stages was OUTSTANDING. This company stands behind their product, delivers great service and wants their customers to be satisfied. The next PM I get will be another Stages for sure (have 2 SRMs and one Quarq). Being able to replace your own battery, calibrate and update firmware via bluetooth, phenomenal product and customer service, and significant value compared to the competition.....you just can't beat it!
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    nevermiss wrote:
    nevermiss wrote:
    JPJ001 wrote:

I called Stages and they started a service ticket and recommended that I send in my unit. I was emailed a label to have it overnight shipped to CO. I received a couple emails over the course of a week and a loose wire was found, the unit was repaired, checked and overnighted back to me.

Works perfectly now! The customer service I've had with Stages was OUTSTANDING. This company stands behind their product, delivers great service and wants their customers to be satisfied. The next PM I get will be another Stages for sure (have 2 SRMs and one Quarq). Being able to replace your own battery, calibrate and update firmware via bluetooth, phenomenal product and customer service, and significant value compared to the competition.....you just can't beat it!

What are they like to work for?
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    I have been following this thread hoping the problem would soon be resolved.

As it looks like it is, I have just gone to buy and found that my Force BB30 cranks aren't supported.

Pah.

Force isn't but you have the choice of 3 BB30 options which could work - Cannondale Hollowgram http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sta ... 0-ec059549

FSA: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sta ... 0-ec059551

and a Sram X9 mountain arm.

OK so your crank arms won't match but do you want to measure power or not? I have DA 7800 with an Ultegra arm and could frankly care less. Too much else on in life to get knickers in a twist about silver vs dark grey.

Only due diligence to do is validate the q factors so that you don't end up with your feet at different distances from the centreline.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • DHA987S
    Further update. My stages joined me on the deluge that was Ride London. It's still showing full battery today when I checked. So maybe the problems are resolved?

This is on a unit with the red seal and has had the battery changed once by me.
  • Problems with my power meter. Over night after my ride. Dead battery in the morning. Decided to take my battery out after each ride and see how i get on.