Stages Power Meter - battery draining?

Comments

• rickwiggans
    rickwiggans Posts: 416
    Correct.

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I have been fairly vociferous about the problems I have experienced. To counter my early experiences, I have a unit currently on test which has been faultless for two months with both the new firmware, and the previous version. The battery has been removed and replaced after each ride, for voltage checks. I still have concerns that I have mates whose units have been faultless for ages, and then showed the symptoms, and also mates whose units were faulty, and then (without the firmware upgrade) mysteriously started to be OK.

So would you recommend the stages?
  • rickwiggans
    rickwiggans Posts: 416
    I'm not fully convinced as yet.

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • After getting a Stages power meter this spring I experienced similar battery drain problems. My problem was caused by bad contact between the battery and the device. I went through loads of batteries within a month before figuring it out. The solution was even easier than what DIY_geoff suggested above - I just added three layers of electrical tape on the inside of the battery cover. I have had power reading and the same battery for four months now having ridden 115 hours since I did the fix. Maybe it helps someone else as well.
  • frogdr1ver
    frogdr1ver Posts: 130
    What colour O Ring is fitted in your Stages? Ive read online that the new ones had a red ring, i have one that was referred by stages in July thats got a green ring. Just want to make sure its water tight before winter really hits (not thats its dry at the moment!)
  • interesting that these issues still remain
  • interesting that these issues still remain

The battery cover/poor connection is not a power drain issue. It is easily solved and is a minor inconvenience in comparison to the previous battery drain problem.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • redvision
    gaffer_slow[/url]"]interesting that these issues still remain

The battery cover/poor connection is not a power drain issue. It is easily solved and is a minor inconvenience in comparison to the previous battery drain problem.

Plus, looks like it has been addressed with latest version about to be released
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/stages-cycling-power-meters-go-carbon-at-last-45115/
    A key upgrade for those who might’ve been alerted to water-ingress issues with the old housing is a redesign of the battery cover. The new cover has a wider diameter and more robust fastening. Stages says this new design increases the strength of the battery door and housing interface by 200 percent.
  • My replacement crank is here, just need to get around to install it and test. Then wait and see how long it lasts before problems appear. :(

Came across another local cyclist recently, his crank of a few months old goes through a battery every few days. Can't believe he has tolerated this and I strongly recommended he get this dealt with asap.

meanredspider - interesting point about the batteries. Initially I was using Panasonic, then quickly got a batch of cheap no name cells purely to save costs as I was going through so many. No difference except that the first battery (a Panasonic) lasted 5 months, then the next Panasonic was dead in days as have all subsequent batteries.

I clearly believe Stages have a huge problem, I would love to know how many happy people there are against the ones with bad units. How long before this affects their company financially in a big way? All this negative experience has got to be losing many potential sales, I know plenty who were tempted but are either holding off or buying something else, like Garmin Vector.

OK an update! The replacement power meter was fine for about 6 months, until about a month ago. Then the battery needed replacing, this battery probably lasted a few weeks, since then we need to replace the battery with increasing frequency.

Put a new one in yesterday, it is already indicating low.

So same old issues. On latest firmware, no sign of water ingress, cleaned contacts etc.

Now in contact with the shop to see about returning this one. Suspect we will then go through another cycle of exactly the same.

Have heard of at least 4 local cyclists who have had Stages, all have had problems.

These units are obviously fundamentally flawed.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    My replacement crank is here, just need to get around to install it and test. Then wait and see how long it lasts before problems appear. :(

Came across another local cyclist recently, his crank of a few months old goes through a battery every few days. Can't believe he has tolerated this and I strongly recommended he get this dealt with asap.

meanredspider - interesting point about the batteries. Initially I was using Panasonic, then quickly got a batch of cheap no name cells purely to save costs as I was going through so many. No difference except that the first battery (a Panasonic) lasted 5 months, then the next Panasonic was dead in days as have all subsequent batteries.

I clearly believe Stages have a huge problem, I would love to know how many happy people there are against the ones with bad units. How long before this affects their company financially in a big way? All this negative experience has got to be losing many potential sales, I know plenty who were tempted but are either holding off or buying something else, like Garmin Vector.

OK an update! The replacement power meter was fine for about 6 months, until about a month ago. Then the battery needed replacing, this battery probably lasted a few weeks, since then we need to replace the battery with increasing frequency.

So same old issues. On latest firmware, no sign of water ingress, cleaned contacts etc.

Now in contact with the shop to see about returning this one. Suspect we will then go through another cycle of exactly the same.

Have heard of at least 4 local cyclists who have had Stages, all have had problems.

Get a refund and get something else.
  • redvision
    des49 wrote:

This is interesting. I had an email yesterday from Stages confirming they expect the latest batch of PM's with the updated battery casing to be available 'at the end of September' in the UK.

If this is accurate then it sounds like you received the older version, prone to water ingress :(
  • redvision

Its also worth noting that if your Stages does have the water ingress issue, other users have solved this problem by plastering insulation tape over the battery pod.
    Personally i think this should never have to be done because it should be waterproof. But it is what it is and if you are experiencing the issue then it appears to be the quickest and best solution.
  • It is tempting to ask for a refund, but I am returning the unit to the supplier and I assume they will replace it like for like.

There is no evidence of water ingress.

Shame this is just before the updated units come into the country. But at best the 2nd replacement unit will work fine, if not then in about 6 months time when we replace the battery and get the same problems all over again then the 3rd replacement may well end up being the newer model.

However it may be worth me asking the supplier about replacement with the updated model, it may well save them work in the longer term.
  • eddiefiola wrote:
    eddiefiola wrote:
    Havent read the whole thread but what phones are you using, could it be related to the phone always pinging the power meter and keeping it running permanently? or something else connecting to the PMs bluetooth?

I have a Stages PM and so far touch wood no issues, I broke the battery door when replacing the 1st battery (lasted about 7K kms or so, they sent me two spare battery doors FoC, 2nd battery is going fine.)

Using an iPhone 4s.

Yeah so I kinda put a curse on myself with that update.

2nd Battery went dead one day so changed it (1st lasted 5 months no issues) , 24 hours later 3rd battery dead, this is using a new oring and battery door that theyd sent me as I broke the 1st. New battery is in and will see tomorrow if its still alive.

Stages asked me to check PM Firmware and Garmin software were upto date but was all on the latest versions already.

Never came back to update but I changed the battery and put some electrical tape around it as I figured its the door that doesn't connect properly (as does a previous poster), worked fine after that and I've even changed the battery once since, retaped and still good.

Changed the battery the other day and the old problem of chewing batteries is back, 3 in 3 days now, also changed the battery door and oring with one that Stages sent me at the beginning but when i turned up to race today the battery was empty again.

Have emailed Stages to ask what can be done and waiting for an answer.
  • Stages sent me some new battery doors, feel a bit stiffer than the old ones and now with Green orings, seems to have fixed my problem again.
  • I had used my stages for a few months before experiencing an issue where i couldn't connect the power meter to anything. I've since put three layers of insulating tape on the back of the battery door to hold the battery in snug and it appears to be working perfectly again.

Stages were very helpful via email and their online chat to try and diagnose the issue. They have yet to reply to my email indicating that some electrical tape solved the issue.

cheers

matt

Update - I now have a procedure from Stages to "modify" the negative terminal so ensure better battery contact.

• Update - I now have a procedure from Stages to "modify" the negative terminal so ensure better battery contact.

Any chance of sharing that with us?
  • Hello all
    My first post here as just stumbled across this thread while searching the problem with batteries only lasting a day
    I am on my 2nd stages unit the 1st went back for the very same problem I am having again. A new battery will last for a day max. Which is just crazy considering it should last for a week being used constantly!
    My current unit is just over a year old and up till a week or so ago had been just fine. Only now the old problems seem to have come back.
    I am wondering if any one else can agree that my problems seem to have come back after connecting to a pc running windows. I have just started some indoor training again due to the foul weather. It wasn't until I connected to a computer I started having trouble.
    Just trying to see if anyone can say if it maybe the problem. The batteries were lasting as they should when connecting to my Garmin 705. Now as soon as I've used it indoors connected to a laptop problems..grrr
  • Same problem here. New battery works for one ride, then by the time I get my bike out the next day, it's not working again :(. For indoor riding I've resorted to using power / cadence from the trainer instead, which considering what I paid for the stages isn't good enough.
  • My 2nd unit started developing the usual issues recently having worked fine for about 9 months. Stages sent out some new style battery doors after confirming via photos that nothing was damaged. No problems since.
  • My 2nd unit started developing the usual issues recently having worked fine for about 9 months. Stages sent out some new style battery doors after confirming via photos that nothing was damaged. No problems since.

Interesting, it's just a new door for your existing first generation unit? I've raised a ticket with them today because mine has been giving up on a regular basis for the past month, so I'll see what they come back with.

Interesting, it's just a new door for your existing first generation unit? I've raised a ticket with them today because mine has been giving up on a regular basis for the past month, so I'll see what they come back with.

Yes, they'll ask you to take a picture of your door, I believe it has a date stamp on it. If you have an older one they send a couple of new ones out.
  • I've got a picture of the unit without the battery in - it has a red surround if that matters.

I suspect the main issue is with the door itself not pushing the battery firmly down onto the contacts. As on occasion I've put a battery in and thought it hadn't worked but the app then detected the unit when I pushed the battery firmly in with my thumb.
  • Hi all, first post but thought it a good time to register and hopefully help out a few others! I'd been having issues with my Stages too, created a ticket and was referred to the UK Distributors. They sent me the following steps to go through to check on the cause of the problem. Like a few others I ultimately got sent a new rubber o-ring and battery doors which will hopefully solve the issue, although I've not actually been out for a ride to test the solution yet.

Below is the basic inspection procedure that we use when cranks are returned to us.
    It is a useful indicator for if a crank is working correctly, although we do have the facility to carry out more in depth and detailed testing here in house if required.
    Use the ‘Stages Power’ app downloaded on an Apple or Android device. See links below: ‐
    http://support.stagescycling.com/support/solutions/articles/1000203642‐stages‐power‐android‐app‐link
    http://support.stagescycling.com/support/solutions/articles/1000203640‐stages‐power‐ios‐app‐link
    Firstly a visual inspection of: ‐
    1. The housing ‐ Looking for cracks in the casing or broken internal battery tabs (see image 2 below).
    2. The silver coloured positive terminal on the side of the opening is intact.
    3. The gold coloured negative terminal is intact and is not compressed flat against the bottom of the
    housing.
    If the terminal is compressed against the bottom of the housing, careful use of a small blade to
    gently manipulate the terminal upwards to create a vertical gap of approximately 2mm – 3mm at
    the point furthest from where it is connected to the power meter (see images 3, 4 & 5 below).
    4. The battery door has 3 legs intact, and has a date code of 07/15 or later (see image 1 below).
    5. The o‐ring is green, is seating correctly, and that there is no damage to the o‐ring seat or well.

When carrying out the actual testing, connected via Bluetooth to the mobile app, the things to check are: ‐
    6. Firmware Version in the bottom left of the app screen (should be 2.0.76). If not the app will give you the option to upgrade.
    (Important ‐ Please ensure the Stages app on your mobile device has been updated to the latest version - checking on the iTunes of Google Play stores if required).
    7. Battery Level is indicated at the bottom right of the app screen.
    8. Pressing the “tools” button brings up the ‘Tools’ tab, check the serial number, ANT+ ID and crank length match the details of the crank itself. Press the back arrow and return to the main screen.
    9. Whilst holding the crank horizontally, press the ‘Zero Reset’ button. You should get a calibration error message. Flip the crank 180 degrees to the opposite horizontal position and press ‘try again’ you should again see the calibration error message.
    These 2 failed tests indicate the cranks ability to detect its orientation are functioning correctly, as zero reset can only occur with the crank in the vertical position. If you do not get a failed test in either horizontal position, it indicates the accelerometer within the meter is not functioning correctly.
    Now hold the crank vertically as if the pedal is at its lowest point in the pedal stroke, and press ‘try again’. This time you should get a reading of between 840 and 940 in the ADC box and a temperature in the other box. If the ADC figure is not between 840 and 940, there is a calibration problem with the crank.
    Back in the main app screen, press the ‘High Speed’ button and then the ‘start’ and ‘OK’ buttons, then wait 15 seconds or so. Once the displayed upper left “torque” and upper right “force” boxes have flickering values displayed, hold the crank in both hands and try to bend it one way then the other, as if the crank was being pedalled. You should see the ‘torque’ and ‘force’ readings fluctuate from positive figures to negative figures. This indicates the strain gauges are functioning.
    10. If the power meter is totally unresponsive, it is possible to carry out a ‘hard reset’. This discharges any residual current in the capacitors and component son the circuit board. To do this place only the outside edge of the battery, or any other metallic object such as a paper clip, between both battery terminals of the power meter, holding there for 5 seconds (see image 6 below).
    Then retry the testing starting from number point 6. above.
    As long as the crank passes the above tests, it should be functioning fine.
    When using the Stages Power app for testing the crank, you do not get actual Power or Cadence readings on the main screen of the app, unless the crank is attached to a bike and being ridden at more than 20rpm.
    It really is worth looking at the “Support” Section of the Stages Cycling web site, as there are known issues with certain head units, and Stages give advice and solutions.
    http://support.stagescycling.com/support/solutions/articles/1000037974‐how‐do‐i‐pair‐my‐stages‐ powermeter‐to‐my‐garmin‐or‐ant‐device‐

Recommendations when using a Garmin head unit (Dependant on model – see “Support” section on the Stages website for more detailed information).
    1. Carry out a Zero Reset calibration of the crank once per week.
    2. Check for head unit firmware updates regularly by connecting your Garmin head unit to the Garmin
    software on your computer
    3. Manually enter the ANT+ ID number of your power meter into the Garmin (do not use the “search”
    option).
    4. Set the “Data Collection” field in the Garmin to the “once per second” option (do not use the smart
    recording option).
    5. ‘Wake Up’ the power meter by back pedalling several times before switching on your Garmin.

• I have two Stages Power Meters - one on my Canyon which is an Ultegra model and I've had no issues with it at all.......my other is on my Genesis, which is a 105 model, and it's been playing up recently - dropping out, going through a battery per week, not calibrating etc etc.

After going through a similar process as gpstark posted above, with Stages in Germany, they have requested that it be posted back to them for inspection. Will be interesting to see what happens.
  • I contacted Stages EU who put me in touch the supplier to deal with my battery drain problem. A few emails and pictures later, old 5700 replaced with the 5800 V2 unit with in 3 working days.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I contacted Stages EU who put me in touch the supplier to deal with my battery drain problem. A few emails and pictures later, old 5700 replaced with the 5800 V2 unit with in 3 working days.

Nice stuff. I picked up an 6700 stages cheapy from the LBS a couple of months ago. It had been sat there over a year and nobody wanted it because it didn't match the new groups. Waiting for it to start playing up so I can hopefully get it replaced with a 6800 :lol:
  • Hmmm, purchased a new unit (Gen 1) on 17th November 2015,
    Low battery warning on 07th December and the battery was changed,
    Today (11th December) I have no connectivity from the unit via Ant+ & Bluetooth (with another new battery).

Just logged a support ticket with stages so lets see what they have to say/suggest.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • I have two Stages Power Meters - one on my Canyon which is an Ultegra model and I've had no issues with it at all.......my other is on my Genesis, which is a 105 model, and it's been playing up recently - dropping out, going through a battery per week, not calibrating etc etc.

After going through a similar process as gpstark posted above, with Stages in Germany, they have requested that it be posted back to them for inspection. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I just received a new V2 105 5800 through the post this morning from Stages - seemingly the one I returned had an internal crack that wasn't repairable
  • redvision
    Hmmm, purchased a new unit (Gen 1) on 17th November 2015,
    Low battery warning on 07th December and the battery was changed,
    Today (11th December) I have no connectivity from the unit via Ant+ & Bluetooth (with another new battery).

Just logged a support ticket with stages so lets see what they have to say/suggest.

If they ask for it back push them for the newer version as a replacement (it seems to be more reliable).