Stages Power Meter - battery draining?

167891012»

Comments

• pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I have asked stages support to confirm refund so I don't have the retailer try to replace again.

It was 2c yesterday so not even that cold. Going to get a 4iii instead.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I returned mine to Saddleback via Sigmasport. It's been assessed by Saddleback and confirmed as faulty. To the credit of Sigmasport they have agreed to refund instead of replace which is great news. I'll stick with just my reliable and weatherproof Power2max for now.....
    More problems but still living....
  • pastryboy
    Mine was through Mantel, was worried about using an overseas retailer but process was faultless.

I did alright out of the Stages, bought it on an interest free credit card so in the end got 11 months of power data for free. I've now ordered a replacement for £120 less that wasn't available 11 months ago.
  • amaferanga wrote:
    I returned mine to Saddleback via Sigmasport. It's been assessed by Saddleback and confirmed as faulty. To the credit of Sigmasport they have agreed to refund instead of replace which is great news. I'll stick with just my reliable and weatherproof Power2max for now.....

Me too, and I had bought 3 of them (in the sale, with loyalty discount). 1 had to be replaced because it wouldn't even calibrate. Then the 2 that were stored in my dry-lined vault were draining - battery lasting between zero and 5 hours despite all the nonsense with hard re-setting, putting the crank in the airing cupboard for 2 days etc. The 1 in my spare room on the turbo was ok but I only chose Stages because I could just about justify the cost of 3 - there was no point just having one, especially since I would never be sure if it would die as soon as I rode it outdoors. Why didn't I listen to all the negative reviews? It's totally unfit for use in the UK. DO NOT BUY ONE.

I'm now looking around for some Type S Power2Max 3D24s but there aren't many on the secondhand market, unlike Stages...
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    amaferanga wrote:

Me too, and I had bought 3 of them (in the sale, with loyalty discount). 1 had to be replaced because it wouldn't even calibrate. Then the 2 that were stored in my dry-lined vault were draining - battery lasting between zero and 5 hours despite all the nonsense with hard re-setting, putting the crank in the airing cupboard for 2 days etc. The 1 in my spare room on the turbo was ok but I only chose Stages because I could just about justify the cost of 3 - there was no point just having one, especially since I would never be sure if it would die as soon as I rode it outdoors. Why didn't I listen to all the negative reviews? It's totally unfit for use in the UK. DO NOT BUY ONE.

I'm now looking around for some Type S Power2Max 3D24s but there aren't many on the secondhand market, unlike Stages...

Have a look at a Quarq DZero also. Pretty good value.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • delv4
    delv4 Posts: 28
    JGSI wrote:
    I still point some blame to that shoite protocol that is Bluetooth running all the time unnecessarily.. no one is going to convince me that BT is not the ultimate in battery sucking.... do other PMs run it constantly? My Vectors dont and I havent changed the batteries on those in 6 months.

I have a pedal power meter on one bike, stages on the other.

Wake stages up, open phone app, detects the meter check the battery

Wait 30 seconds or so and check the app again and the meter is not found.

My conclusion (yours might be different) the BT does NOT continually broadcast when not in use. My stages is running the latest firmware.
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    I recently received a new stages unit under warranty to replace one that stopped working. I used it for one ride. Went in tonight to sort out bike for weekend and it was dead, needed a new battery. So, brand new powermeter, one ride, dead battery!
  • pastryboy
    Same for me with the warranty replacement being far, far worse than the first one I had.

17 hours on the 4iiii I replaced it with and battery is 93%..... used and stored in exactly the same way.
  • courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    pastryboy wrote:
    Same for me with the warranty replacement being far, far worse than the first one I had.

17 hours on the 4iiii I replaced it with and battery is 93%..... used and stored in exactly the same way.

Is that the one sided 4iiii? Thinking of buying the 105 version this summer, how are you finding it in general?
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    I've asked for a refund. Tried this morning, dead. Fitted another new battery, still dead.
  • edenmain
    edenmain Posts: 13
    I've just come across this problem when fitting my 4th or 5th new battery after maybe 20 months of trouble free riding. I've noticed that when replacing the cover it sometimes looks as though it's not flush with the rest of the compartment. I can make it flush by squeezing down on the cover while turning it (not easy!). I wondered if this slight lack of pressure on the battery is making it drain?
  • When i contacted stages support they mentioned if you get a reading on your device 800 ,when you do a zero offset then there is something wrong with the device and it needs to be returned, now mine has been draining batteries during the recent cold spell so I removed it for the last few weeks, anyway after the recent heat wave (joke) I decided to put in a battery and do the zero offset which returned a reading of 900 which is what I should be getting and is a normal reading therefore there is nothing wrong with my PM, I am yet to see if the battery starts draining again but my impression is battery draining is down to the cold and this should'nt be happening on a bit of kit which costs nearly £500.00.
  • I had the battery draining problem on my brand new Stages power meter, customer support decided that the meter was not going to sleep when not in use. It was replaced under warranty.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    4 stages PMs in 6 months, I am now using an FSA Powerbox which has been faultless.

Interestingly I was told by an LBS who sell stages that the return rate for the 1st gen was around 80% and around 60% for the 2nd gen models, not sure on the rest but it aint great is it! Stages really need to sort this out.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Well - my Stages G1 PM is still going fine (that's done it).
    It's stored in a garage - integral to the house, so not freezing - but not far off when it's cold outside. It spent the winter just sat in the garage - I didn't bother riding with it as I'm not taking it out in crappy weather (apart from anything else, it's got the wrong pedal on).
    It's had no more than 1/2 dozen batteries in the 3+ years I've had it - but then I use it "sparingly" - it sits on my TT bike most of the time, I'll swap it to the best road bike if I'm doing something significant - can't be arsed with it for a club ride. I've had it on the turbo bike - to confirm the turbo was reading about the same (might do that again as the turbo seems to be reading low now)
    I've not done any firmware updates (why? It works - don't mess with it!) and I don't connect via Bluetooth (I did once - and the battery drained overnight - not doing that again in a hurry!)
  • Hi

Another user of a Gen2 with the battery drain issue. I use the Sram GXP carbon version. But I can't grasp how the device is behaving. I use it with a Garmin 1030. For some reason some batteries died just after a couple of rides, maybe 5 or so, and others lasted even less but with more time apart.

So maybe the idea of consuming in idle status comes in place.

I read somewhere on the internet that leaving the crank on the calibration position when storing the bike may be a solution. That proved not to be the case for me.

Regarding the door compartment I presume is just related to the dropouts and/or moisture management. Does it play any part in the drain issue?

My O-Ring color is yellow. Should it be green, red or white with pink stripes... I'm lost here after reading each and every post in the thread. And where should I find this specific part so late in the game?

Notes:

- Tried several branded and legit batteries.
    - Have not experienced any significant dropouts or any issue temperature wise.
    - Is it raining? Hit the gym instead.
    - Garmin 1030 shows inconsistent values regarding the battery status.

Anyone care to bring this old matter back to life?

Thanks in advance
    Jorge
  • flycop
    flycop Posts: 20
    I have had two stages power meters that had the battery problem, both were replaced under warranty.
  • I bought one of these after favourable reviews on dc rainmaker's site, but quickly found I was using a battery pretty much every day. After the usual "we've never seen it before" and "is the battery in properly" Stages now seem to believe there is/was a firmware issue that's causing the unit to keep transmitting a bluetooth signal all the time.

They say this is very difficult to replicate and that it requires "specific environmental conditions" (which I assume means "Yorkshire"), but they have released some new firmware which fixes it.

Only it doesn't - not for me.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and has the firmware update fixed it for you?

Cheers

First I've heard of this problem, though I don't claim to know much about these units. I bought used C60 a little over month ago, and it came with the Stages Generation 3 Campagnolo 11 speed unit. When I bought the bike the battery was dead, and there wasn't a cyclometer on the bike.

I really hadn't given the thing much thought as I've never used one. That being said, shortly after I bought the bike, I bought a Garmin Edge 130 and discovered that it was compatible with the Stages unit so I bought a battery for the Stages unit, and paired them, and low and behold, it works! Nifty little unit and a interesting measure of how much you're working. I just checked it with my cell phone, and after a month, it's showing the battery at full charge and the firm aware is up to date. I'll keep an eye on the battery, but I'm guessing if it's still showing a full charge after a month, it's not defective.