Stages Power Meter - battery draining?

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    ddraver wrote:
    They re also the new PM sponsers for Team Sky....

I mentioned that a week ago on the last page. Albeit cryptically...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    ddraver wrote:
    They re also the new PM sponsers for Team Sky....
    I'm sure the Sky budget will stretch to 25,000 batteries and a couple of boxes of duct tape!!
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    I've just picked one up, so I'll see how it performs over the next few weeks.

Managed to get £100 off RRP, which I thought was a result.

Installed and working on the bike in 10 mins...
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • New crank update - all good after 2xsuper wet rides and 2xless wet ones.
  • JPJ001
    JPJ001 Posts: 40
    Good news Andy.

I got another email from Evan on Friday saying they will dispatch my replacement crank to Saddleback mid next week.
  • Teebs_123 wrote:

And how did you blag that?

I've got a house build about to start and really shouldn't buy one, but I am VERY tempted.
  • teebs_123
    Scotty-Gee wrote:
    Teebs_123 wrote:

And how did you blag that?

I've got a house build about to start and really shouldn't buy one, but I am VERY tempted.

Members price at Ratrace.com.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • So I'm reading this thread with interest.

I have a Powertap but about to buy a new bike and would like to get away from the wheel based power. Stages clearly have an issue but is it fixed?

Would anyone recommend them?
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Sir Dave Brailsford recommends them!
  • Mine is still working fine after a couple of weeks, a couple of very wet rides and 72 hours of immobility, so the signs are good...
  • teebs_123
    Mine has done 3 rides and has been fine. Should be a wet ride tomorrow morning so let's see...
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • JPJ001
    Fitted the replacement and went for a ride over the weekend with no problems.

Looks like the o-ring has been beefed up so fingers crossed this is the problem solved.

12178175585_2e5795aaee.jpg
  • teebs_123
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Mine has done 3 rides and has been fine. Should be a wet ride tomorrow morning so let's see...

4 rides now and the last one was in really wet conditions...all still working fine.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Oh dear. Looks like I have the same problem. I got mine sent out from a friend in Colorado springs. My first battery lasted 7 hours and the second lasted 5 hours.

I have only done one outdoor ride the rest being on the turbo trainer. Contacted Stages technical but no reply.

I have detailed my findings HERE
    Cube LTD Race
    Cannondale Prophet 1
    Cube Streamer
    Blog and Training
  • davem399
    My mate has had a replacement now for about a month and has ridden through some deep puddles and heavy rain with it. So far, it has behaved impeccably, unlike his first one.
  • I'm on number 3 - it's worked fine for a month, then I got a low battery warning from my Edge (never seen that before), replaced it, did 4 rides and put the bike away for a couple of weeks as we've been away. Got it out last night - completely flat. Did a ride with a new battery this morning - nearly flat.

Either they keep sending me first gen replacements or this problem is not solved...
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    Do any of your replacements have the red o-ring like above? My stages arrived last week, ordered in December but delayed due to the battery door issues, has the red o-ring like above.
  • Which crank arms are you guys running? Ultegra or DA or Sram?

Would be interested to hear of weights too if you weighed them on a kitchen scale.

I'm tempted to get one, but just an el cleapo 105 arm to mate to my 7800 crank.

Cheers
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • DHA987S wrote:
    Do any of your replacements have the red o-ring like above? My stages arrived last week, ordered in December but delayed due to the battery door issues, has the red o-ring like above.

No, although they've sent me a new door with red ring. One thing I read today is that they've discontinued U6700 units - both my replacements have been 6700 (although I'm now running 6800 on my Ultegra bike) - I wonder whether they've just sent me first generation units which are more likely to have the problem.
  • My one came direct from a friend in Colorado a few weeks ago and has the red O-ring. It's SRAM Rival but I didn't weigh it.
    Cube LTD Race
    Cannondale Prophet 1
    Cube Streamer
    Blog and Training
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S wrote:

No, although they've sent me a new door with red ring. One thing I read today is that they've discontinued U6700 units - both my replacements have been 6700 (although I'm now running 6800 on my Ultegra bike) - I wonder whether they've just sent me first generation units which are more likely to have the problem.

I suspect that Shimano don't have any more 6700 in stock for them. I wonder if the door and o-ring are all that has changed or if the housing has as well? Can you push for a complete new crank if it keeps failing?
  • Well Ultegra crank 4 arrived - it's a 6800 and after a month it's fine. However this is just about when number 3 conked out!

I've also got my Dura Ace one out of the shed after its winter hibernation - replaced the battery, o-ring and door, upgraded the firmware and went for a ride. 24 hours later flat as a fart. Same issue.

Saddleback have insisted I go via retailer (Merlin) who tried to get me to send it back whilst they sourced another. This i refused and said i'll return it when they have the replacement in stock (I did suggest that as they have had my money for six months they could send the replacement before i send this back, but apparently "trust" only works one way...).

Anyway - i'll have another replacement at some point. I've asked Stages whether they've identified the issue - they said the new battery door and firmware have got rid of most issues (it's obviously more common than they would have had us believe originally), but they've also changed the material the unit is made of - however these all suggest water ingress is the issue. But there's a bloke on DC Rainmaker who's had his wrapped in duct tape and has hardly had it out in the rain - and his has just started eating batteries...
  • JPJ001
    My replacement has started draining batteries, I'm getting 10-12 hours depending how often I use the bike.

I bought mine directly from Stages in the US so have emailed Evan at the start of the week. Still waiting for a reply.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Looks like Stages QA process is shi7 or non-existent. Things like this should be detected well before they're made available.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    its relatively simple for me, looking at this, their QA is up the spout, and their testing indicates that they should have tried it further afield, than the pace where it was invented.

I'm going to get power2max. just seems far more stable and it measures both legs for a slight increse in price. Win/Win.
  • davem399
    Quick update on my mates Stages PM. He got a new crank the other week and it was fine for about a month or so. Now it's needing a new battery once a week, even if it's not used. He'll' be buying another pack of batteries soon!!
    This is the Austin Allegro of the power meter world!!!
  • DaveM399 wrote:
    Quick update on my mates Stages PM. He got a new crank the other week and it was fine for about a month or so. Now it's needing a new battery once a week, even if it's not used. He'll' be buying another pack of batteries soon!!
    This is the Austin Allegro of the power meter world!!!

You would think when they fix it, they'll replace everyones under warranty…. :roll:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • JPJ001
    Another update from me, I've not had any issues since replacing the battery at the start of April (when I last posted and put a new battery in). I've probably used the bike for ~30 hours over the month and it's still showing as full when I connect to my iPhone. This has all been riding in the dry.

I'm wondering if dud batteries have also been a factor. I've been using both duracell and maxell, the one in at present is duracell. Fingers crossed there are no more issues.
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    edited June 2014
    I've had one for a few weeks now, no issues at all and works fine. As above battery is still showing full. I know of 3 other people with these and all no problems, two having had them for over 6 months and used in all weathers through the delightful North Yorkshire winter.
  • DHA987S
    Update from me, a very wet ride a few weeks back no issues. Further punishment on Belgian cobbles last week. All running fine still.