RIP Paul Walker

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Point of order:-

Paul Walker was not driving.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    daviesee wrote:

Finally - I have tried to point this out twice already. :roll:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • daviesee
    smidsy wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Finally - I have tried to point this out twice already. :roll:
    I know.
    But it clearly needed repeating.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Hyundai i10 is your answer...

Could be, Mikey, could be, but I don't think it quite fits the bill.
    I may look a tw@t driving it, but not a pretentious tw@t, so doesn't quite make the shortlist.
  • ballysmate
    I have scored todays paper without success for news of the death of anyone I hadn't heard of, so that I could mourn in the correct manner as directed by the bereavement police. I would therefore be grateful if you could look in the local papers to find someone suitable. Failing this, the sad demise of a family pet will suffice.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I have scored todays paper without success for news of the death of anyone I hadn't heard of, so that I could mourn in the correct manner as directed by the bereavement police. I would therefore be grateful if you could look in the local papers to find someone suitable. Failing this, the sad demise of a family pet will suffice.
    Does it have to be a recent death? What about a past death you never realised had happened?

Mavis Bingham died in 1862 and nobody started a thread about her. Maybe you could mourn her death.

MAVIS BINGHAM (1823-1862) died earlier this week when she lost control of her plough while showing off on the Barnsley ringroad. She will be sorely missed by family, friends, and random people on the internet (when it finally gets invented).
  • smidsy
    If it was not a super plough we are not interested.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    GiantMike wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Does it have to be a recent death? What about a past death you never realised had happened?

Mavis Bingham died in 1862 and nobody started a thread about her. Maybe you could mourn her death.

MAVIS BINGHAM (1823-1862) died earlier this week when she lost control of her plough while showing off on the Barnsley ringroad. She will be sorely missed by family, friends, and random people on the internet (when it finally gets invented).

TBH serves the stoopid b1tch right, anyone ploughing donuts on the barnsley ring road deserves it!, my great, great uncle lost his memory in the resulting crash, which saw his penny farthing reduced in value to just a farthing, big wheel was completely sha99ed in those ruts she dug up hooligan!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    How can you be sooooo disrespectful about Mavis Bingham? Of all the maveric plough women of Barnsley, MB set the standard for doughnuts. You see how the news gets skewed by social medai like telegrams and runner boys? She wasn't even driving the plough at the time it was Gladys Pinkerbottom and 'Arry the 'Orse had a reputation for being too powerful for a single blade plough. Mavis was a victim of doping: It was sabotage anyway as 'Arry was secretly fed sugared up molasses that morning.
    Don't blame Mavis or Gladys, it was the 'Arrogate farmers syndicate wot dunnit.

@Bally. Small with street cred, posh, pretentious. This is just what you are looking for:

$(KGrHqRHJFEFJ0R5Vw0mBSfrDMR9Bw~~60_1.JPG
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ballysmate
    GiantMike wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Sad loss indeed. I am sure she would have gone on to make some crap films, once film was invented. RIP.
  • ballysmate
    How can you be sooooo disrespectful about Mavis Bingham? Of all the maveric plough women of Barnsley, MB set the standard for doughnuts. You see how the news gets skewed by social medai like telegrams and runner boys? She wasn't even driving the plough at the time it was Gladys Pinkerbottom and 'Arry the 'Orse had a reputation for being too powerful for a single blade plough. Mavis was a victim of doping: It was sabotage anyway as 'Arry was secretly fed sugared up molasses that morning.
    Don't blame Mavis or Gladys, it was the 'Arrogate farmers syndicate wot dunnit.

@Bally. Small with street cred, posh, pretentious. This is just what you are looking for:

$(KGrHqRHJFEFJ0R5Vw0mBSfrDMR9Bw~~60_1.JPG

Does it come with a private plate so that I can look a complete to55er?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @b... Pretentious tw@t is what I do best...
    Son is embarrassed to be driven around in it, says it's like a gay fridge.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    As I suspected, there was a fatality up on the A30 last night. Local tractor driver killed and car driver seriously injured...
  • ballysmate
    Mikey23 wrote:
    @b... Pretentious tw@t is what I do best...
    Son is embarrassed to be driven around in it, says it's like a gay fridge.

Not embarrassed enough to walk instead, I'd wager.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    seanoconn wrote:
    R.I.P
    This ^^

R.I.P Paul Walker. Slightly less attractive than me but more attractive than the rest of you put together, jealous bar stewards.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    seanoconn wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    R.I.P
    This ^^

R.I.P Paul Walker. Slightly less attractive than me but more attractive than the rest of you put together, jealous bar stewards.

Which other men do you find so attractive?
  • daviesee
    Ballysmate wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    R.I.P
    This ^^

Are we back to Tom again?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    daviesee wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    R.I.P
    This ^^

Are we back to Tom again?
    Myself and Tom are very happy. It just feels right.

Back on topic. I can't see what's wrong with saying its sad someone famous has died just because you haven't met them.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • smidsy
    seanoconn wrote:
    Back on topic. I can't see what's wrong with saying its sad someone famous has died just because you haven't met them.

Actually none - but the RIP title suggests to some that it is more personal I suppose, as opposed to some bloke off the telly.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • bianchimoon
    smidsy wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

nothing wrong in saying it, problems come when peeps get uppity that you don't feel the same way and try and take the moral high ground
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • daviesee
    nothing wrong in saying it, problems come when peeps get uppity that you don't feel the same way and try and take the moral high ground
    Who wants the moral high ground?
    The other end is much more fun!
  • ballysmate

Nothing wrong at all. If you look at my first post on the thread, I said just that.
    What was objectionable was being told that I wasn't showing sufficient feeling. I can't help not being grief struck over the death of someone I hadn't heard of. Just being honest. Their level of fame isn't the issue, there is a limit to the feeling I can muster regarding someone I had not heard of.
  • ballysmate
    seanoconn wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:
    I dont think anyone is overcome with grief but when an actor, singer, celebrity dies there is a sense that we do 'know' them through their film, music, etc. in a way that we dont have any connection with the people whose names appear on the 'in memoriam' page in the local paper. When I heard James Gandolfini had dies a few months ago I was pretty sad for a day or so largely because what he did as an actor and the parts he played meant something to me. The fact that lots of people came out and said what a fantastic guy as well added to this.

I dont really know the work of Paul Walker so it hasnt had any impact on me at all beyond the general thought that anyone's death, especially an unexpected and early one, is going to mean great sadness for someone - I guess in this context I think there is a moment when we need to put aside issues of blame, consequences, etc.

I may well get accused of being insensitive here, but how can someone feel sad for days over the death of someone they didn't know or hadn't even met? Likewise, this fella. I didn't know him, I read the article, that's it, moved on.
    If you are sad because as you say, the parts he played meant something to you, surely you didn't cry when Tony Soprano got clipped. After all you knew more of Soprano's character than the actor who played him.
    Have to disagree with you there Bally. It is possible to feel a sense of loss and sadness for someone you've never met, of varying degrees, depending on their impact on you. They could potentially shape your entire life.

When the last Tommy died, even though he lived to the rip old age of 180, I still felt sad that the last life of that history was gone forever.

Sorry Sean, just seen this, missed it earlier.
    I too felt sadness when the last Tommy died. But I would argue that I felt sad for the passing of a generation who had given so much. My sadness was not particularly for the individual. I would feel it strange that I mourned for 1 man I didn't know beyond the deaths of the other millions that served in the Great War, just based on the fact that he was the last. As I said, it marked the passing of a generation and I would say that the overwhelming feeling was respect rather than sadness.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    I dont think anyone said that. I think the initial reaction was to those who posted on the first page that they felt no sympathy for the driver or for his passenger based on what was, at that stage at least, speculation about the cause of the crash.

The discussion about whether or not it is legitimate to feel sadness, sympathy, empathy for the death of someone you only know through their films etc. is a separate one.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've purposfully kept out of this, as I generally don't give a monkey's about these people. Yes someone dying is sad, but two guys who mean nothing to me and have had no impact on my life, dying because they were showing off in a Porsche (eye witness reports are out there) doesn't exactly inspire any empathy.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59 wrote:
    I've purposfully kept out of this, as I generally don't give a monkey's about these people. Yes someone dying is sad, but two guys who mean nothing to me and have had no impact on my life, dying because they were showing off in a Porsche (eye witness reports are out there) doesn't exactly inspire any empathy.

Indeed Matt, but as I said earlier the "redemption rule" applies... If you drive like a cxxk and go to jail is one thing, whilst if you go against a lamp post and die, that's somehow a tragedy and a tragedy trumps anything else.

Look at James Dean... terrible one trick pony actor, three crap films, then speeds at a junction, crashes and he's a legend... those were the days when speeding was glamorous, but even to these days a bit of the allure remains among many, clearly...
    left the forum March 2023
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've just read the whole of this thread, it's a cracking read !
    Who'd have thought that the reincarnation of Mother Theresa could be so pompous ?

ps V-Tech, I think this has to be your finest U-turn yet.
    VTech wrote:
    I feel that for a moderator, your actions and wording are awful and were I to own the magazine I would remove you immediately.
    VTech wrote:
    I am not slating you.

I think you are.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • bianchimoon
    MattC59 wrote:
    I've just read the whole of this thread, it's a cracking read !
    Who'd have thought that the reincarnation of Mother Theresa could be so pompous ?

ps V-Tech, I think this has to be your finest U-turn yet.
    VTech wrote:
    I feel that for a moderator, your actions and wording are awful and were I to own the magazine I would remove you immediately.
    VTech wrote:
    I am not slating you.

I think you are.

OT slightly, Wasn't Mother Teresa just a dumb nun used by the Catlick church to further their aim to raise as much money as possible?
  • OT slightly, Wasn't Mother Teresa just a dumb nun used by the Catlick church to further their aim to raise as much money as possible?

Ouch, that's deeply unfair... :? In the history of mankind you can probably count a handful of individuals of her calibre (and her stature too... :wink: )
    left the forum March 2023
  • bianchimoon
    OT slightly, Wasn't Mother Teresa just a dumb nun used by the Catlick church to further their aim to raise as much money as possible?

Ouch, that's deeply unfair... :? In the history of mankind you can probably count a handful of individuals of her calibre (and her stature too... :wink: )

Don't agree with you on that Ugo, evidence suggests that money donated to buy drugs/morphine was not used to ease suffering, they had plenty of money (relatively) at her hospices in calcutta but conditions in the place were terrible as it is reported she said "you have to suffer to get close to god" Towards the end of her days she is quoted as doubting her own faith.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WQ0i3nCx60

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/iv- ... 21363.html
This discussion has been closed.