RIP Paul Walker

Comments

• upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    it's not unusual that major disasters get the best out of mankind...

Or the worst in some cases.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    A huge sense of irony though that someone famous for driving fast cars in larger than life style (in movies) is killed while in one.

Also I heard the report and was sure it stated he was the passenger?

Sad indeed, no matter what the circumstances.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    edited December 2013
    I dont think anyone is overcome with grief but when an actor, singer, celebrity dies there is a sense that we do 'know' them through their film, music, etc. in a way that we dont have any connection with the people whose names appear on the 'in memoriam' page in the local paper. When I heard James Gandolfini had dies a few months ago I was pretty sad for a day or so largely because what he did as an actor and the parts he played meant something to me. The fact that lots of people came out and said what a fantastic guy he was as well added to this.

I dont really know the work of Paul Walker so it hasnt had any impact on me at all beyond the general thought that anyone's death, especially an unexpected and early one, is going to mean great sadness for someone - I guess in this context I think there is a moment when we need to put aside issues of blame, consequences, etc.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Lots of people die everyday.

I doubt I'll know any of them. I doubt i'll have ever met them.

Someone of them are likely to have been good people who have done good things in their life. We ignore them. A millionaire actor dies in a car crash and everyone is overcome with grief posting 'RIP' for someone they don't know and have never met - it makes no sense.

Perhaps we should have a locked sticky with a post simply saying 'RIP'. Every day we could look at it and remember those who will die today who we don't know. It'll save all this false grief.
    Paul Walkers death was newsworthy. I was surprised and interested to hear of his sad demise. If I wasn't bothered, I probably wouldn't post on a thread about Paul Walker.

I'm not sure anyone is overcome with grief?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    seanoconn wrote:

Someone of them are likely to have been good people who have done good things in their life. We ignore them. A millionaire actor dies in a car crash and everyone is overcome with grief posting 'RIP' for someone they don't know and have never met - it makes no sense.

Perhaps we should have a locked sticky with a post simply saying 'RIP'. Every day we could look at it and remember those who will die today who we don't know. It'll save all this false grief.
    Paul Walkers death was newsworthy. I was surprised and interested to hear of his sad demise. If I wasn't bothered, I probably wouldn't post on a thread about Paul Walker.

I think the point is that to the OP it was obviously important enough for them to start a thread on it which is fine, for me I can't say I knew who this person was but someone dieing is nonetheless sad however hundreds of people will die in this country everyday but there is not a thread for each one even though each of these people would be considered important in some way or to someone.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    seanoconn wrote:

Grief isn't the issue, for me the problem is when people jump on the bandwagon biatching about what someone has wrote as a condolence.
    If you don't like it, think he was an idiot for driving fast or just plain jealous of his wealth then fine but for the love of god why post a response knowing it will offend ?
    Its not the fact that he is famous that is offensive by some of the replies, its the lack of human dignity thats offensive here.
    Living MY dream.
  • seanoconn
    edited December 2013
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

I think the point is that to the OP it was obviously important enough for them to start a thread on it which is fine, for me I can't say I knew who this person was but someone dieing is nonetheless sad however hundreds of people will die in this country everyday but there is not a thread for each one even though each of these people would be considered important in some way or to someone.
    And they will be mourned by people that know them. Their death isn't any less important, it's just not newsworthy.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Paulie W wrote:
    I dont think anyone is overcome with grief but when an actor, singer, celebrity dies there is a sense that we do 'know' them through their film, music, etc. in a way that we dont have any connection with the people whose names appear on the 'in memoriam' page in the local paper. When I heard James Gandolfini had dies a few months ago I was pretty sad for a day or so largely because what he did as an actor and the parts he played meant something to me. The fact that lots of people came out and said what a fantastic guy as well added to this.

I dont really know the work of Paul Walker so it hasnt had any impact on me at all beyond the general thought that anyone's death, especially an unexpected and early one, is going to mean great sadness for someone - I guess in this context I think there is a moment when we need to put aside issues of blame, consequences, etc.

I may well get accused of being insensitive here, but how can someone feel sad for days over the death of someone they didn't know or hadn't even met? Likewise, this fella. I didn't know him, I read the article, that's it, moved on.
    If you are sad because as you say, the parts he played meant something to you, surely you didn't cry when Tony Soprano got clipped. After all you knew more of Soprano's character than the actor who played him.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:
    I dont think anyone is overcome with grief but when an actor, singer, celebrity dies there is a sense that we do 'know' them through their film, music, etc. in a way that we dont have any connection with the people whose names appear on the 'in memoriam' page in the local paper. When I heard James Gandolfini had dies a few months ago I was pretty sad for a day or so largely because what he did as an actor and the parts he played meant something to me. The fact that lots of people came out and said what a fantastic guy as well added to this.

I may well get accused of being insensitive here, but how can someone feel sad for days over the death of someone they didn't know or hadn't even met? Likewise, this fella. I didn't know him, I read the article, that's it, moved on.
    If you are sad because as you say, the parts he played meant something to you, surely you didn't cry when Tony Soprano got clipped. After all you knew more of Soprano's character than the actor who played him.

The main reason I posted in the first place.
    Your (and others) lack of empathy.
    Its such a sad thing. I am happy I have it, its hurting right now for other reasons but id rather it be present in my life than be soulless.
    Living MY dream.
  • Paulie W
    Well Tony didnt get clipped but that's a whole other story...

I guess it's about the extent to which someone's persona is reflected in their acting, music, writing, etc. You feel that you know them - I'm aware that I dont in any real sense and it's not as if I'm lying on my bed weeping but it's a pretty normal human emotion and I find it pretty surprising that you havent experienced something similar.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    [/quote]

or just plain jealous of his wealth then fine but for the love of god why post a response knowing it will offend ?.[/quote]

What has his wealth or lack of it got to do with any of this, why do you bring it down to a materialistic/jealousy level? just curious? must admit i think acting is a fairly shallow profession, and acclaim is way overdone
    And BTW there is no god, :wink:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • seanoconn
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:

Have to disagree with you there Bally. It is possible to feel a sense of loss and sadness for someone you've never met, of varying degrees, depending on their impact on you. They could potentially shape your entire life.

When the last Tommy died, even though he lived to the rip old age of 180, I still felt sad that the last life of that history was gone forever.
  • arran77
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

And they will be mourned by people that know them. Their death isn't any less important, it's just not newsworthy.

Exactly, people that knew them, I personally wouldn't start a discussion about someone dieing that I did not know and I doubt the OP knew this person.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Exactly, people that knew them, I personally wouldn't start a discussion about someone dieing that I did not know and I doubt the OP knew this person.
    Should I have said "know of"?

God, you're like a dog with a bone sometimes! :lol:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Paulie W wrote:
    Phew!
    I am only half way through the box set so you guy's mixing up the plot keeps it alive for me.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Paulie W
    daviesee wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:
    Phew!
    I am only half way through the box set so you guy's mixing up the plot keeps it alive for me.

Dont worry even when you've finished watching you still wont know what happened!
  • arran77
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Maybe :wink:

It's like Bally said though I don't understand people who think they 'know' someone because they watched their films or listened to their music, and then letting this persons death bother them, it's sad yes but it won't affect my life (or anyone elses who posted in this thread I'd guess).

seanoconn
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    My friend of 35 years died last month.

Should I have started a thread?

PS:- Nearly had a typo. Scary how by only omitting an "R" that friend becomes fiend. :shock:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • arran77
    daviesee wrote:

PS:- Nearly had a typo. Scary how by only omitting an "R" that friend becomes fiend. :shock:

If you want to?

Maybe because we feel we 'know' you by posting on here we should feel a great loss on your behalf :wink:

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Maybe :wink:

It's like Bally said though I don't understand people who think they 'know' someone because they watched their films or listened to their music, and then letting this persons death bother them, it's sad yes but it won't affect my life (or anyone elses who posted in this thread I'd guess).
    I don't think anybody on this thread said they knew him. It's newsworthy and you admit it's sad. Worthy of a thread on here then.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    For some reason I have no sympathy when famous people die. I have sympathy when people I know die.
  • seanoconn
    daviesee wrote:

Was he or his death newsworthy?
  • arran77
    I don't think it's news worthy just because he was famous :wink:

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    arran77 wrote:
    Well you're wrong because it was on the news :P
  • arran77
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Well you're wrong because it was on the news :P

You've only got to look at the daily fail to see what shite passes as news in some peoples eyes :lol:

seanoconn
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    A police helicopter fell out of the sky and crashed into a packed Glasgow pub. Just saying like...
    Anyone who ends a post with 'just saying' deserves to be shot!
  • arran77
    Rigga wrote:
    A police helicopter fell out of the sky and crashed into a packed Glasgow pub. Just saying like...
    Anyone who ends a post with 'just saying' deserves to be shot!

That would be very sad if thegreatdivide was dead :wink:

seanoconn
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    What dead!.. RIP Greatdivide

:)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • arran77
    What dead!.. RIP Greatdivide

:)

Well if he is dead I reckon Rigga did it :lol:

seanoconn
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    edited December 2013
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Do we need to quote all these people in a quote...?

It makes no sense. :roll:

Well it might if you can be arsed, but I just can't. Life is too short. I might die tomorrow and if I do there had bloody well better be a thread on here about it. 8)
This discussion has been closed.