RIP Paul Walker

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    What a total waste of two lives.

Who can honestly say that they haven't done something monumentally stupid and lived to tell the tale? Lady luck or "that's how it is/fate/divine interevention" define the outcome.

Do I think his 15year old daughter will be trawling this site? No but it shouldn't stop fellows members for showing some respect.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    As i don't know the man/men I can't/won't pretend to be sad or sorry as it would make no difference whatsoever. Some people for reasons I can't comprehend, do get this 'Diana effect' when someone they don't know dies, sorry if it offends you, I don't.

^^^ This

+1
  • Paulie W wrote:
    Sure it's the internet but even here there is a time and a place: your decision to speculate on the cause of this man's death in the context of a RIP thread doesnt reflect well on you. Just so you know. No need for tears of course but no need for speculation or blame based on limited evidence.

You have to put that into context too... we are all a bit shocked about what happened last week on our roads and we are all well aware of the risks involved with speeding vehicles, when we are so vulnerable on the road.
    I am afraid the sight of a sportscar crashed against a tree is like putting salt on an open wound and maybe inappropriate things are said... out of context, out of place... yet, this is a cycling forum and you can't help users being a bit biased and maybe having strong feelings... I don't think anyone has been particularly disrespectful. There might even be people on here having feelings about the all "fast and furious" saga, helping to nurture a generation of road outlaws...
    In other words, my view is that we have a number of rules on this forum, if no rules are broken it's a bit OTT to play the morality card.
    There are two places (this and the bottom bracket) where non cycling related topics are allowed
    left the forum March 2023
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Paulie W wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:
    My Gran always used to say if you've got nothing nice to say, say nowt. Some of you would be advised to follow such advice.

Your Gran didn't know the Internet, THE place where people with nothing to say do have a say about everything. Someone opened this thread, we might as well have a chat about it. Someone else has already reported this thread, clearly offended by the lack of tears and respectful words that normally flood such threads and it was decided not to close it, as it is not against the rules to speculate about deaths and accidents, respectfully. Clearly the general sentiment is not as symphatetic as in other cases... it is a fact of life and you can't sweep it under the carpet

Sure it's the internet but even here there is a time and a place: your decision to speculate on the cause of this man's death in the context of a RIP thread doesnt reflect well on you. Just so you know. No need for tears of course but no need for speculation or blame based on limited evidence.

I and others have said earlier that we hadn't heard of the bloke but the loss of life was sad. And as Nap said, don't forget his mate, who seems to have been disregarded by some. I think we all share those sympathies.
    However, if you passes such a wreckage scene on the M6 I think one of the first thoughts would be,'Feck me! He must have been shifting!' Expressing such thoughts on here isn't showing disrespect, it is expressing what to most is a reasonable assumption.
    Anyone who claims to see offence in such speculation is being over sensitive.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I don't think anyone has been particularly disrespectful.

This is fairly disrespectful in my opinion.
    nicklouse wrote:
    he was obviously an idiot. And for the Walkers for knowing he got in a car driven by an idiot.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    V-Tech, this is a cycling forum, a bit of bias towards drivers and fast cars is inevitable. Go on a Cabbie or white van men forum and you'll see a bias against cyclists.
    That is not to say that are blind and cannot judge for ourselves if an accident had a significant speed component or not

The issue I had didn't concern speed, it concerned a definite lack of empathy and humanity that is shared by so many of these so called "cyclists" on this forum.
    I crashed my Ferrari at 38mph and it was destroyed, I hit a tree side on and speed wasn't the factor yet the car looked like it had hit the tree at 60+

My issue is how quick people are to judge and find guilty others who can't defend themselves.
    Of course I am not denying speed was an issue but I would never suggest that they "deserved" what happened because they may have been speeding. I guess thats why I have so many people who don't see eye to eye with me on this forum, I can't say that bothers me one jot.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    The issue I had didn't concern speed, it concerned a definite lack of empathy and humanity that is shared by so many of these so called "cyclists" on this forum.
    I crashed my Ferrari at 38mph and it was destroyed, I hit a tree side on and speed wasn't the factor yet the car looked like it had hit the tree at 60+

So, you are saying that a Porsche hitting a tree at 38 mph will self destruct and kill his passengers? When you crashed it at 38 mph you didn't brake at all? Meaning maybe you were doing 75 and only managed to slow to 38?
    VTech wrote:
    My issue is how quick people are to judge and find guilty others who can't defend themselves.
    Of course I am not denying speed was an issue but I would never suggest that they "deserved" what happened because they may have been speeding. I guess thats why I have so many people who don't see eye to eye with me on this forum, I can't say that bothers me one jot.

I don't think the word "deserved" was used... Maybe some implied something like"if you look for it, chances are you're going to find it", which is different from judging the morality of an individual
  • VTech
    VTech wrote:

So, you are saying that a Porsche hitting a tree at 38 mph will self destruct and kill his passengers? When you crashed it at 38 mph you didn't brake at all? Meaning maybe you were doing 75 and only managed to slow to 38?
    VTech wrote:

I don't think the word "deserved" was used... Maybe some implied something like"if you look for it, chances are you're going to find it", which is different from judging the morality of an individual

I actually slid on ice after a small animal ran out so although I hit the brake, the car slid into the tree.
    I feel that for a moderator, your actions and wording are awful and were I to own the magazine I would remove you immediately.
    Living MY dream.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    t'inernet battle on morality first thing on a Monday morning?

Great way to start the week. :P

R.I.P. everyone else who has died.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • VTech wrote:
    I actually slid on ice after a small animal ran out so although I hit the brake, the car slid into the tree.
    I feel that for a moderator, your actions and wording are awful and were I to own the magazine I would remove you immediately.

V-Tech, don't pee ouside the vase, and better not to spit in the plate either... over the months moderators have come to your rescue on more than one occasion, when people wanted to throw you out of the forum.
  • A police helicopter fell out of the sky and crashed into a packed Glasgow pub. Just saying like...
  • daviesee
    VTech wrote:
    Top advice - Never criticise those who shall not be named.
  • daviesee
    A police helicopter fell out of the sky and crashed into a packed Glasgow pub. Just saying like...
    Yeah. but they wont count.

Unless a celeb shows up in the rubble........
  • A police helicopter fell out of the sky and crashed into a packed Glasgow pub. Just saying like...

Has anything leaked about how it happened? Human error, engine failure or else?
  • daviesee
    A police helicopter fell out of the sky and crashed into a packed Glasgow pub. Just saying like...

Not yet.
    Maybe the machines are all going rogue and thats why the car crashed to.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    VTech wrote:
    V-Tech, this is a cycling forum, a bit of bias towards drivers and fast cars is inevitable. Go on a Cabbie or white van men forum and you'll see a bias against cyclists.
    That is not to say that are blind and cannot judge for ourselves if an accident had a significant speed component or not

So, not much different with your feelings and lack of empathy for the unemployed then eh? :roll:
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    daviesee wrote:
    Yeah. but they wont count.

Unless a celeb shows up in the rubble........
    :) .. or is a smiley inappropriate/disrespectful?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

Eye witness reports say it just stopped dead. If it’s human error then I would think that it would be at the maintenance end. I was quite moved when Jim Murphy MP was being interviewed in the morning and they pointed out he had blood on his shirt - he hadn't noticed and went a bit quiet. He’d been part of the group carrying injured folk out of the pub. Max respect to the public who rushed to the scene instead of fleeing.
  • he hadn't noticed and went a bit quiet. He’d been part of the group carrying injured folk out of the pub. Max respect to the public who rushed to the scene instead of fleeing.

it's not unusual that major disasters get the best out of mankind...
  • bianchimoon
    Those machines are inherently dangerous, 2 or 3 parts where there is no back up safety, the big surprise is that there's not more chopper crashes given the stresses parts are under in those things, one trip was enough to convince me the risks of traveling in one are too great to do for pleasure.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • VTech
    VTech wrote:

V-Tech, don't pee ouside the vase, and better not to spit in the plate either... over the months moderators have come to your rescue on more than one occasion, when people wanted to throw you out of the forum.

I have become who I am because I am consistent.
    If my best friend was saying something daft I would tell him straight. Nothing I have said here is offensive and is both totally and morally correct.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    If my best friend was saying something daft I would tell him straight. Nothing I have said here is offensive and is both totally and morally correct.

... and what I have said is: before slating someone, have a look whom you are slating, as in the future there might not be the same level of support when you are under attack...
    Luckily at the time the moderators did a good job in moderating, despite what you think. Lots of people wanted you out and it would have been very easy to just please the crowds... but we didn't... :wink:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Car v tree, helicopter v pub, cyclist v artic... Very sad for those whose time has run out and for their loved ones regardless of their celebrity status. I've never heard of him either but my thoughts and prayers to all who are grieving at this time...
  • arran77
    VTech wrote:

... and what I have said is: before slating someone, have a look whom you are slating, as in the future there might not be the same level of support when you are under attack...
    Luckily at the time the moderators did a good job in moderating, despite what you think. Lots of people wanted you out and it would have been very easy to just please the crowds... but we didn't... :wink:

Sod it, kick him out :lol:

:P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • VTech
    VTech wrote:

I am not slating you.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    I am not slating you.

See, the problem is, as a user and even more as a moderator, you end up having friends & foes, it's life it's inevitable... as a moderator there are decisions which are not straightforward, in other words I can go one way or another... will I step in, write a PM to convince A and B that things are not the way they think they are, for someone who says: "your actions and wording are awful and were I to own the magazine I would remove you immediately."?
    Probably not.

Just saying... :?
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    You really really should have stopped posting on this thread some time ago!!
  • bianchimoon
    we're all on the same team here and saying i'd have you removed immediately just because you don't hold the same opinion or attitude as I do is plain wrong, bit like a footballer waving an imaginary red card at the ref. I have not heard anything on here that I would consider in bad taste controversial just typical internet forum differences of opinion/attitude. It happens and long may it continue.
  • Lots of people die everyday.

I doubt I'll know any of them. I doubt i'll have ever met them.

Someone of them are likely to have been good people who have done good things in their life. We ignore them. A millionaire actor dies in a car crash and everyone is overcome with grief posting 'RIP' for someone they don't know and have never met - it makes no sense.

Perhaps we should have a locked sticky with a post simply saying 'RIP'. Every day we could look at it and remember those who will die today who we don't know. It'll save all this false grief.
  • arran77
    Paulie W wrote:
    You really really should have stopped posting on this thread some time ago!!

If you're talking about VTech, he's like a dog with a bone, he just doesn't stop :lol:

seanoconn
This discussion has been closed.