The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Off to Wembley today. Never shitted a big game more, and its only Wigan in a F.A cup semi!

(This from a man who blew his first wedding budget for 2 tickets to the 2006 Champions league final in Paris. Its what she wanted really)

But following recent debacles against Birmingham, Bradford and Blackburn in the cup comps (bloody glad we aren't playing Barnsley or Bury) and Wigan's recent success in this competition , I fear a negative result today could be Arsene's cue to not re new his contract and walk away at the end of the season.

Still hopefully back in May for another chance to feck it up.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,406
    tim wand wrote:
    Still hopefully back in May for another chance to feck it up.
    Not a bad prediction given todays performance...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,311
    Phew.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    BOOM!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Well that's made it all interesting now - final day decider again?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    There's a lot riding on Chelsea v Liverpool now, otherwise it's down to 'upsets'. Let's hope Norwich can work a few miracles against the right teams :shock:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • nathancom
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    There's a lot riding on Chelsea v Liverpool now, otherwise it's down to 'upsets'. Let's hope Norwich can work a few miracles against the right teams :shock:
    Best attack vs best defence. It is going to be a humdinger. Also Master vs the Apprentice. I think there is also a lot of unresolved animosity between the fans which should ratchet up the tension even more.

Sadly I think it might be a draw which will do neither any favours and hand the title to ManC. Let's hope Everton do everyone a favour.
  • Stevo_666
    nathancom wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Best attack vs best defence. It is going to be a humdinger. Also Master vs the Apprentice. I think there is also a lot of unresolved animosity between the fans which should ratchet up the tension even more.

Sadly I think it might be a draw which will do neither any favours and hand the title to ManC. Let's hope Everton do everyone a favour.
    You could well be right on quite a few counts there.

There's definitely a lot of unresolved animosity, the visiting fans definitely didn't appreciate the rousing rendition of the welcome song for visitors from Merseyside when they were last at the Bridge just after Christmas :wink:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Being a Chelsea fan there are obviously only three results I want to see at the end of the season: 1. Us as Premiership champions, 2. Us as C/L champions and 3. Moyes keeping his job. Result all round.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Being a Chelsea fan there are obviously only three results I want to see at the end of the season: 1. Us as Premiership champions, 2. Us as C/L champions and 3. Moyes keeping his job. Result all round.
    Re: point 3, good to see you're thinking long term :) We need Manure in the Europa next season so they don't have an easy fixture list like certain teams have had this season :wink:
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Re: point 3, good to see you're thinking long term :) We need Manure in the Europa next season so they don't have an easy fixture list like certain teams have had this season :wink:

So subtle :)
  • nathancom
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Good to get your excuses in early. ;) If Liverpool win the premiership it will be a fantastic achievement however you frame it.

I hope Athletico give your boys a good long tiring exhausting run in the park 4 days before you come to Anfield though!
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    nathancom wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Good to get your excuses in early. ;) If Liverpool win the premiership it will be a fantastic achievement however you frame it.
    I hope Athletico give your boys a good long tiring exhausting run in the park 4 days before you come to Anfield though!

The only way that it wouldnt be considered a fantastic achievement was if we had recently been bought by a very very wealthy man, before we started winning. That, I wouldnt consider fantastic at all :wink:
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    nathancom wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

The only way that it wouldnt be considered a fantastic achievement was if we had recently been bought by a very very wealthy man, before we started winning. That, I wouldnt consider fantastic at all :wink:

Yes it must have been sickening when someone with even more money than Littlewoods and the Moores family came along. :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,441
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Liverpool will lose to either Crystal Palace or Norwich. Palace is my hunch but after Suarez has humiliated Norwich constantly I wouldn't be surprised if they beat us when it really matters. They seem to be the games Liverpool drop points - see Hull and the Baggies this season.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    As an enthusiastic ABU fan, I'm just happy to say that my team will DEFINITELY win the PL, CL, FA Cup and League Cup this season.

Still, I hope it isn't Abramovich's rentboys.
  • Stevo_666
    nathancom wrote:
    Exactly my point about the fixtures list. It can't be fair that a team gets an advantage just because it isn't good enough to qualify for CL footy the season before :)
  • Stevo_666
    nathancom wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Yes it must have been sickening when someone with even more money than Littlewoods and the Moores family came along. :wink:
    :lol:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,441
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    Exactly my point about the fixtures list. It can't be fair that a team gets an advantage just because it isn't good enough to qualify for CL footy the season before :)

No doubt you'll find out in 2015-16 :wink:
  • nathancom
    Pross wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

No doubt you'll find out in 2015-16 :wink:
    Unfortunately only if they replace Mourinho with Moyes.
  • pinno
    Lets just put a hold on the b!tching for a moment.

In the light of the fact that this is the 25th anniversary of Hillsborough, wouldn't it be apt if Liverpool won the league?
    No-one can deny Gerrard's contribution as an English player of world class standard of which there are few. His only missing title is the League.
    As a gunners supporter, the departure of Henry was only offset by the fact that he gained a CL title to his list with Barca which he never got at Arsenal, it's a similar scenario for Gerrard - it would be a pity he never got a Premier league title.
    On another note, Liverpool's pace and attacking style of play has at times been mesmerising and we can appreciate as supporters of the game, how good it has been. Chelski have ground out results playing to the limit of their ability (I bet Morenho fully understands and has crafted that) and isn't it so friggin dull in comparison?

Though having a 3 horse race would be very exciting, I cannot grudge Liverpool the win.
  • Stevo_666

In the light of the fact that this is the 25th anniversary of Hillsborough, wouldn't it be apt if Liverpool won the league?
    No-one can deny Gerrard's contribution as an English player of world class standard of which there are few. His only missing title is the League.
    As a gunners supporter, the departure of Henry was only offset by the fact that he gained a CL title to his list with Barca which he never got at Arsenal, it's a similar scenario for Gerrard - it would be a pity he never got a Premier league title.
    On another note, Liverpool's pace and attacking style of play has at times been mesmerising and we can appreciate as supporters of the game, how good it has been. Chelski have ground out results playing to the limit of their ability (I bet Morenho fully understands and has crafted that) and isn't it so friggin dull in comparison?

Though having a 3 horse race would be very exciting, I cannot grudge Liverpool the win.
    Oi, this is good fun bitching :)

Defences are meant to be boring: not sure many people would call the Chelski midfied boring - and if they can win without a top class striker then there are going to be a lot of nervous teams in the North of England and north London next season after Mourinho has splashed out on Costa and whoever else up front :wink:
  • nathancom
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Oi, this is good fun bitching :)

Defences are meant to be boring: not sure many people would call the Chelski midfied boring - and if they can win without a top class striker then there are going to be a lot of nervous teams in the North of England and north London next season after Mourinho has splashed out on Costa and whoever else up front :wink:
    Much better than manning the barricades...

Will Costa definitely move? I think Chelsea will be scary if they get him. I don't see how other teams can strengthen as easily as Chelsea since that is your only weak area.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Gerrard escaped a criminal record, even in the face of clear cctv footage and everyone else in his party admitting their guilt ... That's more luck than he deserves, so hopefully Chelsea put an end to the media over-hype ...
  • pinno
    Wouldn't it be ironic if Costa puts Chelski out?
  • Stevo_666
    @Nathan - Not sure if Costa will definitely move but the lack of top notch strikers is such a big thing for Chelsea and a very public thing for Mourinho that there's no way they will come out of the summer break without signing at least one top striker. If it's not Costa it'll be someone else - Roman will pay whatever it takes so maybe even Suarez could be persuaded? :P

@Pinno - Costa has a 2 part interview with Mourinho in the next few weeks called the CL semi final. Salah bagged a place in similar fashion with Basel last year.

@Crankbrother - Nobody anywhere near Liverpool woould dare convict Gerrard. The reason Ken Dodd never got done for tax evasion was because the Inland Revenue was stupid enough to hold his trial on Merseyside. What do you reckon the odds are of a scouser being convicted for tax fraud by a jury of his peers? :lol:
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    (If) Liverpool win the premiership this season , then it will be on hell of an achievement.
    An achievement which will in the main have to be attributed to Brendan Rodgers, The style of football he has brought to Anfield and previously displayed at Swansea has light up the premiership this season.
    Playing with 2 strikers up top and adapting his formation game to game to overcame opponents as shown great coaching acumen.

I don't want City to win the tittle or Chelski, I always feel that if they have a problem on the pitch then the respective owners finances can buy their way around it. Where as Rodgers seems to have adapted his squad and his tactics to win through.

As an Arsenal fan , everytime we have been beaten by Man City and Chelsea to honours , I ve always been able to hide behind the cushion that they have just thrown endless amounts of money at the League or ECL to achieve things whilst we have paid back the debt on a £480 Million pound stadium and are well into the black.

With Liverpool I have no such arguments , But it will be interesting to see if they ever make the move across Stanley Park and how that would effect their current resurgence.

Master stroke of the season must have been how Rodgers and the Board at LFC kept hold of Suarez.

Last season we handed the title to Manure by selling them R.V.P. This season I think we have handed it to Liverpool by not being able to purchase Suarez.. And who says Arsenal don't play a role in the Premiership title.
  • Stevo_666
    Yep, ironically Arsenal probably could have had Suarez for another £10m which would have been more than repaid by likely winning the league. Now probably only Chelsea and City can afford him.

Though it is amusing how supporters of relatively very well financed teams like Arsenal and Liverpool b1tch about even better financed teams like City and Chelsea. Now I just need some Sheikh/Oligarch to chuck a billion or two at Middlesbrough :lol:
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    tim wand wrote:

As an Arsenal fan , everytime we have been beaten by Man City and Chelsea to honours , I ve always been able to hide behind the cushion that they have just thrown endless amounts of money at the League or ECL

The best defence in the league total of £30 million
    Petr Cech - £7 million
    Branislav Ivanovic- £9 million
    César Azpilicueta - £7 million
    Gary Cahill- £7 million
    John Terry- nish

One Mesut Özil £42.5 million.

It's a case of how you throw your money around I guess! :wink:
  • nathancom
    tim wand wrote:

As an Arsenal fan , everytime we have been beaten by Man City and Chelsea to honours , I ve always been able to hide behind the cushion that they have just thrown endless amounts of money at the League or ECL

The best defence in the league total of £30 million
    Petr Cech - £7 million
    Branislav Ivanovic- £9 million
    César Azpilicueta - £7 million
    Gary Cahill- £7 million
    John Terry- nish

One Mesut Özil £42.5 million.

It's a case of how you throw your money around I guess! :wink:
    What is your wage structure looking like these days? :)