The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    You can always count on the Germans :)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,329
    Whilst sad to see Barca go out (seen as we have drifted to CL), would love to see Atletico go all the way but Bayern are the strongest with no league pressure.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Whilst sad to see Barca go out (seen as we have drifted to CL), would love to see Atletico go all the way but Bayern are the strongest with no league pressure.
    Yeah it would be awesome, and maybe the league will keep them battle-hardened. I would love them to win la liga more though to break up the duopoly. No chance them getting a fair split of TV money any time soon.

It is great to see Barca go out after their president claimed the club should be exempt from the rules on underage signings that they just got done for.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,475
    Bring 'em on - we don't care who we get next as we'll have to face at least one of Real or Bayern if we're going to win it again.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • nathancom
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Bring 'em on - we don't care who we get next as we'll have to face at least one of Real or Bayern if we're going to win it again.
    At this point I think the pressure of the matches is a great leveller so I can't see a clear favourite. I just hope it isn't Bayern.
  • Stevo_666
    nathancom wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    At this point I think the pressure of the matches is a great leveller so I can't see a clear favourite. I just hope it isn't Bayern.
    Technically I reckon Bayern and Real have the edge over Chelski and Atletico, but the two underdogs (IMO) do have the jam' factor right now and like you say, it could go any of 4 ways. Will be good to watch regardless but wifey will be in a truly foul mod if we don't win it...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Underdogs (underclass/lucky) won two years ago, didn't they?

Back to the Premiersh1t. Wots we really needs is a draw between the Calm Down Calm Down boys and the Noisy one's from over there.
    I think Pool will have the edge and win 1-0.
  • Stevo_666
    Underdogs (underclass/lucky) won two years ago, didn't they?

Back to the Premiersh1t. Wots we really needs is a draw between the Calm Down Calm Down boys and the Noisy one's from over there.
    I think Pool will have the edge and win 1-0.
    Will be a good one to watch. I want a draw as well.
  • nathancom
    I don't get why Mourinho keeps saying Chelsea are out of the running. A couple of results go your way and it is in your hands again. I don't really buy the whole theory that he is protecting the players from pressure as this is just media talk.
  • Stevo_666
    nathancom wrote:
    I don't get why Mourinho keeps saying Chelsea are out of the running. A couple of results go your way and it is in your hands again. I don't really buy the whole theory that he is protecting the players from pressure as this is just media talk.
    I think part of it is to take pressure off his players, part is maybe expectation management with the media and public - if you say you're not going to win the league, you can't really fail to deliver but you can exceed expectations. Who knows?
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    I think part of it is to take pressure off his players, part is maybe expectation management with the media and public - if you say you're not going to win the league, you can't really fail to deliver but you can exceed expectations. Who knows?

There is also the possibility that he might truly believe that they are unable to win it. And after the performances at Villa and Crystal Palace he just might be right. Considering the strikers he's had to work with this season I'd say he's done a brilliant job getting them this close. Been like a boxer fighting with one arm tied behind his back. And Stevo it's Chelsea! No Chelsea fan should use that stoopid Chelski nonsense. I'm sure you don't refer to them as that down at the Bridge.
  • Stevo_666
    And Stevo it's Chelsea! No Chelsea fan should use that stoopid Chelski nonsense. I'm sure you don't refer to them as that down at the Bridge.
    Never knew you were a Chelski fan :wink: And no, I wouldn't say that while sat next to the Missing Link down at the Bridge...
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    And Stevo it's Chelsea! No Chelsea fan should use that stoopid Chelski nonsense. I'm sure you don't refer to them as that down at the Bridge.
    Never knew you were a Chelski fan :wink: And no, I wouldn't say that while sat next to the Missing Link down at the Bridge...

I am indeed and not one of the JCL's either. Thick and thin, mostly thin so I'm enjoying the thick. :D
    There are a few missing link at the Bridge, as there are at every football ground I've ever been to but you really wouldn't want to use that Chelski nonsense in front of even the most sane Chelsea supporter. You'd certainly get told where to go! Anyhow enough of Chelsea, this is the mainly Arsenal thread after all, probably should be renamed the The FA Cup thread though seeing as the Premier League ship has sailed once again.
  • pinno
    Methinks Morinho is a past master at deflecting questions away from everything. It shuts the press up of someone ask him "Can you win the league...are you going to win the league...how...?". I think this is where it went t1ts up at RM because they are the biggest, richest and most successful club in the world so the expectation of the manager in answer to any of these questions from fans and La Joele Publica (that was a joke) is "yes, yes, yes, we will win" etc etc.
    I think JM is drawn to the Premier league because he plays the press like a fiddle (unlike many other managers) and he is smart enough tactically to take teams that are on paper not as good as other teams a long way (Inter is a great example beating Barca in the Semi's of the CL when they were no where nearly as good on a player by player basis).

He was the one who said "Serie A is the most Tactical, La Liga is the most technical and the premier league, the most competitive". His astuteness places him as the second best manager on the planet.
  • Methinks Morinho is a past master at deflecting questions away from everything. It shuts the press up of someone ask him "Can you win the league...are you going to win the league...how...?". I think this is where it went t1ts up at RM because they are the biggest, richest and most successful club in the world so the expectation of the manager in answer to any of these questions from fans and La Joele Publica (that was a joke) is "yes, yes, yes, we will win" etc etc.
    I think JM is drawn to the Premier league because he plays the press like a fiddle (unlike many other managers) and he is smart enough tactically to take teams that are on paper not as good as other teams a long way (Inter is a great example beating Barca in the Semi's of the CL when they were no where nearly as good on a player by player basis).

He was the one who said "Serie A is the most Tactical, La Liga is the most technical and the premier league, the most competitive". His astuteness places him as the second best manager on the planet.

After Roberto Martinez?
  • nathancom
    Nope probably Brendan (or Simone) at the moment.
  • nathancom wrote:

Brendan Rogers is only where he is currently due to his board/owners standing up to a certain Louis Saurez. Without him they would be sixth/seventh at best. Good for them though ( he says grudgingly).
  • nathancom
    nathancom wrote:

Brendan Rogers is only where he is currently due to his board/owners standing up to a certain Louis Saurez. Without him they would be sixth/seventh at best. Good for them though ( he says grudgingly).
    That's simply not true, he has turned The Hodgson/Kenny mess around and has taken a team that finished 7th twice, that included Suarez, to the top of the table. Why should Liverpool have to apologise for having some good players.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I thought that Moyes was the Chosen One, the best manager for the best club in the world in the best league in the world etc etc?

That's what all the Manure fans down in old London town were saying after all.

After all, isn't he a footballl genius?

Long may his contract survive!
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • nathancom wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

That's simply not true, he has turned The Hodgson/Kenny mess around and has taken a team that finished 7th twice, that included Suarez, to the top of the table. Why should Liverpool have to apologise for having some good players.

Wouldn't deny that he has got the team playing really well this season but still believe the catalyst for this has been Saurez with his goals and overall contribution to the team hence he was lucky in the respect the owners of a football club showed some backbone for once
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I am indeed and not one of the JCL's either. Thick and thin, mostly thin so I'm enjoying the thick. :D
    There are a few missing link at the Bridge, as there are at every football ground I've ever been to but you really wouldn't want to use that Chelski nonsense in front of even the most sane Chelsea supporter. You'd certainly get told where to go! Anyhow enough of Chelsea, this is the mainly Arsenal thread after all, probably should be renamed the The FA Cup thread though seeing as the Premier League ship has sailed once again.
    I'm not that stupid as to say it when I'm at the Bridge. Although we usually sit in the family area so it's marginally safer as well as a bit cheaper :)

Maybe it should be the Europa League thread?
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    Although things have tailed off a little, I'm having a lovely season as a Gooner.

There is a sort of binary fixation these days that I do not recall many years ago. Of course there were fake Scousers in London in the 70s and 80s crowing about that extraordinary LFC side who kept winning (when the European Cup was still a proper cup). The same thing happened with Fake Mancs in the 90s and may yet happen with fake Blue Mancs now that they have their own Sheikh.

But these days, I hear Gooners moaning over a lack of trophies.... Seriously.... What lack of trophies. There was a very good return in Wenger's early years but that was the exception not the rule. Over the club's entre history (or even since the heady early 70s) this is still a very successful era.

There is a certain indignity in being the feeder club for MCFC and FCB, but we don't have our own Sheikh and we still do alright.

This year's Premier League has been a delight to watch in football terms, even though the wrong team will win it.

Whan did enjoying football become more like ten-year-olds playing Top Trumps over trophy cabinets?
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Debeli wrote:
    This year's Premier League has been a delight to watch in football terms, even though the wrong team will win it.

Lol sour much
  • pinno
    Debeli wrote:

Lol sour much

Oi, what you doin' here? Did Benito666 pay you or did A77 give you a blow job or are you pimping for GT's Mum?

For the record: Pep Gaurdiola.

We must not ever forget God: Bobby Robson.
  • pesky_jones
    Debeli wrote:

Lol sour much

Oi, what you doin' here? Did Benito666 pay you or did A77 give you a blow job or are you pimping for GT's Mum?

Meh. Benitto paid me, arran sucked me off, and no, I don't like to share unless I have to (when times are tough).
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583

Lol sour much

I think this may be an example of how the Young People use the Internets. But I am not LOL sour much. Quite the reverse.

I still enjoy memories of Arsenal winning the Cup WInners' Cup under GG. I must have danced for nearly five minutes. Five minutes of EXCELLENT dancing.

Even losing the UEFA Cup final (2000? 2001?) to a bunch of Turks was somehow a pleasure. These days, so many fans seem to think that anything less that the UCL or the Premiership is a failure. How I laughed when some CFC fans were barely cheered by the UEFA Cup (or League or whatever) because it was somehow beneath them. They are a hairy bunch of second-division hobos, brought into the Bentley limelight by crooked Russian money and trying to sound as if they belong there. It doesn't really wash. It's endearing, but not in a very good way.

Somehow the visceral thrill of engaging with a single moment of skill or vision has gone and it's all about trophies and big-money signings now. WHich is sad... particularly when many of those signings are being tempted away from the best club in N5.
  • pesky_jones
    Debeli wrote:

Lol sour much

I think this may be an example of how the Young People use the Internets. But I am not LOL sour much. Quite the reverse.

I still enjoy memories of Arsenal winning the Cup WInners' Cup under GG. I must have danced for nearly five minutes. Five minutes of EXCELLENT dancing.

Even losing the UEFA Cup final (2000? 2001?) to a bunch of Turks was somehow a pleasure. These days, so many fans seem to think that anything less that the UCL or the Premiership is a failure. How I laughed when some CFC fans were barely cheered by the UEFA Cup (or League or whatever) because it was somehow beneath them. They are a hairy bunch of second-division hobos, brought into the Bentley limelight by crooked Russian money and trying to sound as if they belong there. It doesn't really wash. It's endearing, but not in a very good way.

Somehow the visceral thrill of engaging with a single moment of skill or vision has gone and it's all about trophies and big-money signings now. WHich is sad... particularly when many of those signings are being tempted away from the best club in N5.

Lol sour much.

But seriously, I used the term "lol sour much" because it was appropiate to what you had said, not because I'm young and on the internet. Anyway, you want some lemons?
  • Stevo_666
    Debeli wrote:

Lol sour much

You're such a bad loser Pinno :P
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Debeli wrote:

Lol sour much

You're such a bad loser Pinno :P

Listen 'ere you smug basket... Atletico are on a roll and Morinho is going to have to extend Courtois's contract for you to have a happeny chance.
  • Stevo_666
    Listen 'ere you smug basket... Atletico are on a roll and Morinho is going to have to extend Courtois's contract for you to have a happeny chance.
    You gotta be in it to win it...