The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,113

Agent Pochettino is doing a great job.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516

Maybe Stevo’s getting bored saying it’s sunny outside when we all know it’s raining?

i reckon the manager and old Todd himself will be moved on , even Todd has someone to answer to….

Pity Liverpool choked last night as it would have been a fantastic exit for Klopp to win the Premiership on his last season. And it would mean the juggernaut which is city failing. Alas it’s not to be.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pinno
    edited April 25

Great result for Everton. Dyche has done an amazing job motivating the team after all the point deductions. They would be 12th place (?) were it not for the penalty.

City should be in the Conference league.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,016

Ooooo! This could get interesting - Premier League clubs have agreed in principle to introduce a spending cap.

Dare say the devil will be in the detail though and nothing will change.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cpegd3dy8j7o

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • slowmart

Shiity and manure against any cap and chel$ea abstain.🤣🤣

wolves have more chance of winning the Premiership than any self regulated framework gets agreed and rolled out.

more likely it’s window dressing for any government regulator that comes into being. But again don’t hold your breath.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,762

We did you a favour tonight. Say 'thank you, Uncle Poch'.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

🙂

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno

Thank you Uncle Poch.

I actually like the bloke. Why haven't Chelski supporters taken to him? He'll take time to gain momentum.

• Stevo_666

I also like the guy, but there are expectations of instant success at Chelsea and his strategy of bringing young talent in will take some time. It looks like the new owners have a longer term view, which is just as well, as if Abramovich was still there he'd be gone already.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,634

Yay, Stevo’s back on the thread for the first time in a while. Did Chelsea win a game? 😂

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,967

That's the key, it is now a completely different approach. The Abramovich way of buying proven winners, both players and Managers has gone. They are now investing in potential and hoping Poch will bring them success long term.

If you look at the squad there is actually a lot of talent; Palmer, James, Jackson, Fofane, Caicedo, Gallagher, Colwill, Madueke. The real challenge is, Stirling and Silva aside, there is no experience and very few people at the club who know how to win trophies, which is a big obstacle.

• slowmart

It seems most premiership clubs are taking more time to consider their options. West Ham, manure, Liverpool are all undergoing potential or known reshuffles. While the shareholders of Newcastle and chel$ea must be asking themselves if they can do better given the outlay and return on investment this season. I doubt Howe will survive and it will be interesting to see what chel$ea’s next move is, both managerial and transfer wise.

Meanwhile Everton are seeking advice from insolvency advisors. So if they go into administration closed season , is the points deduction from next season or applied to this season when they were trading?

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666

If that's the reason for coming on the thread, I'm surprised you ever come on here Seano 😉

• pinno
  • Stevo_666

MOTD might be worth a watch this evening...

• slowmart

Despite wolves receiving a thrashing , the league position is still a bonus for most fans given our previous manager left on the day before the season started and we had sold some of our best players to balance the books to ensure compliance with the sustainability rules.

Desmond Tutu
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,016

"we had sold some of our best players to balance the books to ensure compliance with the sustainability rules."

Don't know why you bothered. Oh, yes I do. Not one of the "big teams". 🤬

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,410

Good day for Chelsea FC - 13 for, none against across 2 games.

WSL back on now afterArsenal beat Man City.

Europe on the cards as Spurs season falls apart.

• Stevo_666

Whisper it quietly, Chelsea is starting to click.

• Stevo_666

😜

• slowmart

the Owners of chej$ea are increasingly becoming more of the problem.

Attracting the right manager will start to be an issue as it seems IMHO rationale, structure and a clear strategy are far from evident from the owners.

i wonder if Todd will still be in place next season?

Desmond Tutu
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,410

Did they say on the radio that it is now 7 managers in 5 years?

Add to that the merrty go round before then too.

Seems like the american owners are following Ambramovich's itchiness.

• Stevo_666

Looks like a run of 5 straight wins at the end of the season wasn't enough to save Poch. Expectations are high at Chelsea, so probably understandable that he got the boot given we won no more trophies than Arsenal this season, which is disappointing.

Sometimes I think it's better to be a club like Wolves where you're never expected to win anything.

• pinno
    edited May 22

They didn't give Poch enough time. I think he can leave the club with his head held high.

I will giggle if Chelsea fair no better (or worse) under a new manager as I think the fans should have got behind him.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,771

Where will he go next?

• Stevo_666
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,771

I'm thinking.

Not if he has any sense though. Out of the frying pan and all that...

• Stevo_666

I never said it was a good idea.

Although he could get a discount on the stuff in the club shop - there's a Man Utd table lamp that looks great in the middle of the table 😊

• slowmart

Unless the team you follow is owned by a nation state then we will end up in the same boat. Unless you use the outlier which is manure and still grow commercial revenue streams while winning nothing of substance. I doubt any current owners of Premiership clubs are concerned by the Ineos element either.

the current position of most Premiership teams is commercially unsustainable and that’s before you look at questionable owners.

what impact the much vaunted but slow moving football regulator will have?

meanwhile the cash cow of the Premiership continues to grow with a growing threat from Saudi, if that threat continues we might find the best players follow the cash rather than the prestige of playing for European clubs and trophies.

that said I still find the Premiership compelling and utterly wonderful to watch…

Desmond Tutu