The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Bit late in the season, but looks like Arsenal Choking Syndrome has taken hold just in time for them to be pipped at the post.

No one expected Arsenal to be at the top of the table nor win the title at the beginning of the season. It was never in the plan. It is quite possible that Man City will win it now. We must never loose sight of that amidst the media hype. We have a young team and they are learning fast and have produced far better football this season than 18 other teams (including one that cost n excess of £600m. I mean, they are utter shyte).

As I've said before, Arsenal at the top of the table is like an elephant at the top of a tree: nobody knows how it got there but everyone know it will fall off :smiley:

The European Trophy Dodgers Derby on the 26th will be a tense affair for Arsenal supporters.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,113
    Arsenal: 13 first/premier league titles.
    Chelsea: 6.

Chelsea are shyte and they're 11th.

Finishing second wouldn't be falling off the tree.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I still think Arsenal will get over the line. I have a feeling they will get a result at the Etihad. The only worry I'd have if I was an Arsenal fan was the lack of composure at times on Saturday. Even Saka, who IMO has been PL player of the year, made some uncharacteristically bad decisions at the weekend.

That said, get a win Friday, 7 point gap again to put the pressure back on City. Then the game at Etihad is a 50:50. Anything can happen and win/draw you'd expect them to win the title.
  • pinno
    edited April 2023

I still think Arsenal will get over the line. I have a feeling they will get a result at the Etihad. The only worry I'd have if I was an Arsenal fan was the lack of composure at times on Saturday. Even Saka, who IMO has been PL player of the year, made some uncharacteristically bad decisions at the weekend.

That said, get a win Friday, 7 point gap again to put the pressure back on City. Then the game at Etihad is a 50:50. Anything can happen and win/draw you'd expect them to win the title.

I hope so. I just think City have hit top form at the right moment.
    The draw away to Liverpool in all other scenario's is a result.
    We threw 2 points away at struggling West Ham. Jesus should have taken the penalty. I hope crucial penalty misses don't dog Saka's career. Southgate should never have selected him against Italy. Winning the PL for me will secure Saka's future at Arsenal.
    Newcastle away will be a difficult game.
    If we got a draw at City, I would be over the moon. I'm hoping they slip on a banana skin what with their very busy schedule.
    Brentford could do us a favour.
  • I don't think the pen miss will affect Saka. The Euro miss hasn't set him back, he has got mentally stronger since then and is now a key player.

Agree City have hit their stride but you would expect that as they are a champion side. I don't think they will lose another league game (not including the Arsenal game here) hence why I think City v Arsenal will be a title decider.

Even if Arsenal finish second, they are now true title contenders. They also have a young side in development and Arteta has proved he is a top Manager with more to come.
  • pinno

I don't think the pen miss will affect Saka. The Euro miss hasn't set him back, he has got mentally stronger since then and is now a key player.

Agree City have hit their stride but you would expect that as they are a champion side. I don't think they will lose another league game (not including the Arsenal game here) hence why I think City v Arsenal will be a title decider.

Even if Arsenal finish second, they are now true title contenders. They also have a young side in development and Arteta has proved he is a top Manager with more to come.

If the cases against City go against them before the end of 23-24 season, then this is the last chance for them to win a PL for a while.
    That means potentially, the next few seasons are wide open.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,635
    My son gave me a stat from yesterdays game before I left the house this morning. Not sure about the veracity but it tickled me.

Kane had 9 touches yesterday, 6 of which were kick offs 😂
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Stevo_666

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,018
    Spurs now chasing Chelsea in the most managers race. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,773
    Complete fuster cluck.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    Poch should be a good choice.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,773
    Stevo_666 said:

Poch should be a good choice.

Depends how long they give him. Also bear in mind they've already spent the next decades transfer budget on a load of mismatched players on absurdly long contracts to meet ffp. Poison chalice if you ask me.
  • slowmart
    Rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic

And that applies to both spurs and chel$ea

It will be interesting to see the changes to both squads over the summer . Chel$ea being under pressure to balance their books by selling homegrown talent which sits as pure profit on the balance sheet and helps mitigate this seasons hilarious spending spree.

Both sides will miss the revenue of champions league next season too.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    slowmart said:

That must make Wolves one of those little rubber dinghies trying to get across the channel. I reckon you're better off in the Championship where you have a vague hope of winning something ;)
  • slowmart
    Stevo_666 said:

slowmart said:

That must make Wolves one of those little rubber dinghies trying to get across the channel. I reckon you're better off in the Championship where you have a vague hope of winning something ;)

Unfortunately due to Bravermans war on refugees the little dingy you mention means the individuals would be heading for Rwanda upon arrival. I appreciate Rwanda sponsor arsenal but it would mean one less competitor to finish above chel$a😉

Desmond Tutu
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

slowmart said:

Time you found another team to support given that your sole criteria is to support something that wins, whether it's the Premier league or general elections.
  • Stevo_666
    edited April 2023
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

slowmart said:

Time you found another team to support given that your sole criteria is to support something that wins, whether it's the Premier league or general elections.
    Just as well it's not your sole criteria ;)

The European Trophy Dodgers' Derby tonight should be good :)
  • slowmart
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

slowmart said:

If that’s the case Stevo has failed . The only thing chel$ea have topped is the highest spend in the league tied to mid table mediocrity.

As for the Tories, at least Rishi seems to acting like an adult and weeding out the swivel eyed right wing nut jobs he inherited from Bozo.

Between him and starmer I’d vote for Rishi as starmer hasn’t the bandwidth or intellect to lead the country. And the only reason bozo won/ majority was the poison chalice of voting for Corbyn.

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    slowmart said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

slowmart said:

If that’s the case Stevo has failed . The only thing chel$ea have topped is the highest spend in the league tied to mid table mediocrity.

A good point, with the slight wrinkle that he's talking bollox :)
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815
    Joint top of the "number of managers in a season" table aren't they?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815
    If Chelsea can get through the next two matches without a point, he's on for a clean sweep.
  • pinno
    edited May 2023
    Lampard is shyte. Chelsea are shyte. Not a lot of bang for their bucks. Although tbf, John Terry had a go.

A 118 year history and only won the top flight on 6 occasions.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,635
    Turned over at half time, too embarrassing to watch. Kind of feel bad for Lampard but why hire him in the first place with his record. Not sure how he’ll find managerial employment after this.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043
    seanoconn said:

Turned over at half time, too embarrassing to watch. Kind of feel bad for Lampard but why hire him in the first place with his record. Not sure how he’ll find managerial employment after this.

I could see the logic as a short term appointment - knew the club and a lot of the players so could hit the ground running and he plays the PR game well - he's not going to come out and blame the owners at any point.

He's certainly not doing his reputation any good though is he. He needs to drop down a division or two - Premier League is full of the best coaches in the world and he's done nothing to suggest he's at that level. Whether managing at a lower level indefinitely appeals to him though I somehow doubt.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,018
    Probably a straight choice between lower leagues and punditry.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • slowmart
    edited May 2023
    Unless someone wants an expert pundit on losing Premiership games with a half a billion pound squad I’d suggest franks vision will be directed downwards to one of early retirement to the golf course or get me out of here I’m a shite football manager tv programme

Desmond Tutu
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,412
    He should become an assistant manager for 5 or 6 seasons alongside someone who knows what they are doing. Maybe then he'll be capable of taking on a top job again.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,412
    pinno said:

Lampard is shyte. Chelsea are shyte. Not a lot of bang for their bucks. Although tbf, John Terry had a go.

Are you referring to the club that has 5 titles in the last 20 years, against Arsenal who have won none in that time.......?
  • pinno

pinno said:

Are you referring to the club that has 5 titles in the last 20 years, against Arsenal who have won none in that time.......?
    Oi !