The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765
    pinno said:

Potters' gone.
    Time for Big Sam.

If he changes his name to Samuelo Allardicio he'll have a much better chance.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815
    Get in before Leicester snap him up.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    At least when putins fluffer ran the club there always a semblance of competence and industry awareness or at least the bodies in place who looked after those interests.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • kingstongraham
    At least they've been clever and got all those great players on 8 year contracts.
  • Stevo_666
    slowmart said:

At least when putins fluffer ran the club there always a semblance of competence and industry awareness or at least the bodies in place who looked after those interests.

Remind me again which Chinese outfit owns your Championship bound lot?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • slowmart
    A M A Z I N G

No doubt the tax man’s nemesis will be along to suggest the informed reasoning behind Lampards appointment.

I would suggest wolves chance of beating Chelsea has substantially increased….

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,113
    Lampard has got a helluva managerial record...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Sounds like a decent call for a caretaker manager. Sounds like the real choice is going to be between Nagelsmann/Enrique/Pochettino.
  • slowmart
    Stevo_666 said:

Sounds like a decent call for a caretaker manager. .

Trump like detachment from reality🤣🤣🤣🤣

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    slowmart said:

Stevo_666 said:

Sounds like a decent call for a caretaker manager. .

Trump like detachment from reality🤣🤣🤣🤣

What part of 'caretaker' don't you understand? ;)
  • slowmart
    Google Ian Huntley. He was a caretaker….

Desmond Tutu
  • slowmart
    All I can say is thank you Todd. You’ve supplied a rich vein of hilarity and fun..

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    slowmart said:

Google Ian Huntley. He was a caretaker….

You can call him interim if it makes you feel better.

There are only 9 games left in the PL season so its no big deal.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043
    He's only 2 rounds away from a Champions League final and in a position where he can pretty much focus on that. I doubt he'll ever get a better chance of winning a major trophy in club football.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Stevo_666

He's only 2 rounds away from a Champions League final and in a position where he can pretty much focus on that. I doubt he'll ever get a better chance of winning a major trophy in club football.

A Wolves fan would give his right arm for that :)
  • I don't support any prem club so from an objective point of view, Lampard makes sense. They won't get champions league or on the flip side be relegated, the season is a bust. May as well bring in a club hero who is still popular with the fans to close out the season. Appoint a big name and start again next year.

Not convinced by Nagelsmann, couldn't keep Bayern top of the league and woeful CL record against big clubs. Chelsea want someone who will deliver in the CL and doubt he will.

Potter needs to write this off as a mistake and start afresh. I think he'd be a good shout for Leicester.
  • I meant finish in the top four for a CL place next season, wasn't referring to the CL this year.
  • kingstongraham
    Got to win it or the ffp plan goes out the window.
  • slowmart
    😁

Todd, thank you for appointing hapless frank.

And @Stevo_666 whats the score ….🥳

Desmond Tutu
  • DeVlaeminck
    Made me laugh on radio 5 yesterday Dion Dublin and that Forest supporting presenter (Fletcher?) bigging up Lampard and suggesting a half decent run could land him the Chelsea job permanently. I know they are media mates but surely not even Todd Boehly ? is that daft to give it Lampard beyond this season even if by some miracle he did win them the Champions League.

He's a feel good manager that can build a rapport with his players and get them playing short term (though not apparently today) and I can see the logic in hoping he'll get a new manager bounce but he's done nothing to suggest he's got what it takes to manage in the Prem. Being Frank Lampard gets you respect for the first month or so - beyond that players want substance.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,212

...is that daft to give it Lampard beyond this season even if by some miracle he did win them the Champions League.

So how do you think Real Madrid vs Chel$ea is going to pan out on Wednesday?
  • slowmart
    edited April 2023
    orraloon said:

...is that daft to give it Lampard beyond this season even if by some miracle he did win them the Champions League.

More of this

Desmond Tutu
  • DeVlaeminck
    orraloon said:

I imagine Real will win but Chelsea have so much quality in the squad they can't be discounted. Real looked impressive in the Liverpool tie but Liverpool were very gung go and weren't they 2-0 up - I doubt Chelsea would collapse as easily if they do get in front.
  • pinno
    Potter might have held Wolves to a draw.
    RM will shred Chelsea.
  • pinno
    Pellegrino had all the space in the world. I think Julio Enciso's goal against Chelsea was better and he's only 19. What a way to score your first goal for the club:

2 mins 50 in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBKujxB3dS8

• kingstongraham
    Got to consider the quality of the opponents though.
  • It still amazes me that clubs assume that top class former players will automatically make great Managers (thinking specifically of Lampard, Gerrard, Vieira amongst the current crop). So few have made the transition, Cruyff, Dalglish, Guardiola, Beckenbauer, Ancelotti, Deschamps are a few amongst a small handful.

Compare Unai Emery to Gerrard. Same players but absolutely world's apart in terms of the performances they have delivered with the squad.

I think a lot of ex players think that management is just an extension of playing, but my guess is that you have to view it as a completely separate entity, that has a completely distinct skillset and mindset to be successful.

As much as I am not a fan of the bloke, I get the impression that John Terry gets this. Quietly learning how to be a coach and staying away from the limelight. I suspect he will gradually move into management and probably end up being quite successful.
  • Stevo_666
    Bit late in the season, but looks like Arsenal Choking Syndrome has taken hold just in time for them to be pipped at the post.
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

Bit late in the season, but looks like Arsenal Choking Syndrome has taken hold just in time for them to be pipped at the post.

No one expected Arsenal to be at the top of the table nor win the title at the beginning of the season. It was never in the plan. It is quite possible that Man City will win it now. We must never loose sight of that amidst the media hype. We have a young team and they are learning fast and have produced far better football this season than 18 other teams (including one that cost n excess of £600m. I mean, they are utter shyte).