The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043
    slowmart said:

Unless someone wants an expert pundit on losing Premiership games with a half a billion pound squad I’d suggest franks vision will directed downwards to one of early retirement to the golf course or get me out of here I’m a shite football manager tv programme

To be fair at least he's had a go which is more than most pundits. I think he's just too tied into having to coach at the top level - when really even a coach of an average league 1 or 2 club is a huge challenge and arguably perhaps a purer test of coaching ability as the differentials in finance are a bit less.

I'd love to see say Pep at Portsmouth or Klopp at Forest Green. Of course different coaching styles may suit different levels and situations but it'd be interesting.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,815

pinno said:

Lampard is shyte. Chelsea are shyte. Not a lot of bang for their bucks. Although tbf, John Terry had a go.

A 118 year history and only won the top flight on 6 occasions.

Are you referring to the club that has 5 titles in the last 20 years, against Arsenal who have won none in that time.......?
    20 years is a blink of the eye
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,773

pinno said:

Lampard is shyte. Chelsea are shyte. Not a lot of bang for their bucks. Although tbf, John Terry had a go.

Are you referring to the club that has 5 titles in the last 20 years, against Arsenal who have won none in that time.......?
    They won it in 2004.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    It’s not a like for like comparison using Chelski and Arsenal, the arrival of Putins chief fluffer unbalanced the transfer market to the degree that FIFA bought in “ fair play” rules. A billion pound debt was run up during fluffers reign which was written off when Todd and chums acquired the club. The business model was never sustainable and only possible due to the deep pockets and throat of Abramovich.

In contrast the Arsenal board had saddled the club with massive debt which was used to build their new stadium. Wegner worked a miracle on a relative shoestring and still bought success to the club while the club serviced debt.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,113
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,017
    A "jump the shark" moment?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043
    If only Derby had thought about getting a white falcon he would have signed for us.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    I know that if someone offered me £320 million plus the chance of looking at a white falcon, it would be the falcon that would be the main attraction.
  • pblakeney

I know that if someone offered me £320 million plus the chance of looking at a white falcon, it would be the falcon that would be the main attraction.

Not to mention the wife getting to try on some new head wear.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    Maybe if they'd offered a look at a falcon, they could have got Tiger Woods for their golf thing.
  • slowmart
    So the Saudis murder a journalist who is critical of the regime, imagine their response if messi turns them down……..
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,765

pinno said:

To be fair it's the last 18 years :D

https://youtu.be/wNSRcMniDJw
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • slowmart
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Mmmmmm, state assets sold at an undervalue, the proceeds bought success on the field via the then owners largesse You might find blood stains on the hands that lifted whatever cup you allude to during the last 18 years.

Mind you Todd and his mates don’t seem to have the same effective ownership traits as the chief fluffer in chief for Putin…..

Wolves may finish above you this season, mind you half the Premiership might do the same😉

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    slowmart said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Mmmmmm, state assets sold at an undervalue, the proceeds bought success on the field via the then owners largesse You might find blood stains on the hands that lifted whatever cup you allude to during the last 18 years.

Mind you Todd and his mates don’t seem to have the same effective ownership traits as the chief fluffer in chief for Putin…..

Wolves may finish above you this season, mind you half the Premiership might do the same😉

I love the massive chip you have on your shoulder about Chelsea :smile: Anyway, it was good watching Wolves demonstrating their Championship credentials against Brighton the other week :smiley:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,212
    Stevo_666 said:

slowmart said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

I love the massive chip you have on your shoulder about Chelsea :smile: Anyway, it was good watching Wolves demonstrating their Championship credentials against Brighton the other week :smiley:
    Just in case you forgot, Chel$ea spend 600 (six hundred) million and currently languish in the bottom half 6 points behind 10th placed Fulham. Moneyball eh, wotz not to like?
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

slowmart said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Just in case you forgot, Chel$ea spend 600 (six hundred) million and currently languish in the bottom half 6 points behind 10th placed Fulham. Moneyball eh, wotz not to like?
    It's a long term project. Although not as long term as Scottish football :D But let's not forget how many trophies we've won in the last 20 years - this is just a blip, unlike Scottish football...
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

slowmart said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

It's a long term project. Although not as long term as Scottish football :D But let's not forget how many trophies we've won in the last 20 years - this is just a blip, unlike Scottish football...
    ROFL

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,412
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

slowmart said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

ROFL

Just so long as it is not as long term as the Arsenal or Spurs projects of trying to win the league!
  • pinno

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

slowmart said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

ROFL

Just so long as it is not as long term as the Arsenal or Spurs projects of trying to win the league!
    It's not the be-all and end all though, is it? The board held on to Wenger for far too long and we finally have a manager that has huge potential. We're competing again.
    Arsenal spent £156M and we are above Manu U, Chelsea and the Spuds. We've shut them up and it's great to watch Chelsea crumble.
    I did not expect to us to beat Newcastle on Sunday but we were back to playing well again.
    CL for season 23/24 and contenders again for the PL. Happy days.

If man City get keel hauled, hopefully that would manifest some new rules and a less hedonistic PL club spend.
    If City are found guilty of x. y and Z, it will be sore because i'd feel like Arsenal was Jan Ullrich.

Talking of over spend, Messi has signed for Al Kebab.
  • Stevo_666

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

slowmart said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

ROFL

:D

North London trophy dodgers...
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,773
    Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

slowmart said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

It's a VERY long term project, because in fact they've spread those costs over about 7 years to meet FFP.

Good job they bought such good players innit?
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 2023
    Doesn't it only help them meet FFP if they qualify for the Champions League this year? Otherwise they need to sell someone good.
  • pblakeney

Doesn't it only help them meet FFP if they qualify for the Champions League this year? Otherwise they need to sell someone good.

Safe to say that the Champions League train left some time ago.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

slowmart said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

It's a VERY long term project, because in fact they've spread those costs over about 7 years to meet FFP.

Good job they bought such good players innit?
    Yep.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,928
    edited May 2023
    pinno said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

slowmart said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

ROFL

It's not the be-all and end all though, is it? The board held on to Wenger for far too long and we finally have a manager that has huge potential. We're competing again.
    Arsenal spent £156M and we are above Manu U, Chelsea and the Spuds. We've shut them up and it's great to watch Chelsea crumble.
    I did not expect to us to beat Newcastle on Sunday but we were back to playing well again.
    CL for season 23/24 and contenders again for the PL. Happy days.

If man City get keel hauled, hopefully that would manifest some new rules and a less hedonistic PL club spend.
    If City are found guilty of x. y and Z, it will be sore because i'd feel like Arsenal was Jan Ullrich.

Talking of over spend, Messi has signed for Al Kebab.
    Half a billion quid contract seem a little bit:

C R A Z Y !
    R
    A
    Z
    Y
    !
  • pblakeney
    Hard to blame the guy collecting a mahoosive pension.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    pblakeney said:

Hard to blame the guy collecting a mahoosive pension.

It's nice he's finally getting a bit of coin.
  • pinno

They might have been good but not anymore.

#clinicallydepressedandoverpaid? https://footiefreakshelpdesk.org
  • pinno
    edited May 2023
    Chelsea fans must be pleased with getting a draw at home to the mighty Forest yesterday.
  • Stevo_666
    Chelsea fans must be pleased with getting a draw at home to the mighty Forest yesterday.
    A clash between clubs with European pedigree will always be a hard fought one ;)