The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,638
    Ah well. Never mind.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    Never mind indeed.
    City drop points which was the best outcome for me. I was even cheering Man U. My OH offered me Calpol...

Pray we beat the spuds tomorrow. That would make for a great weekend.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Wahey!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,522
    edited February 2023
    Not a great weekend of footy just gone for most people, but this stuff about City is interesting:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/02/06/punishments-manchester-city-could-face-106-premier-league-rule/

City are magic - could we seem them magically end up in the Championship? Cheat, cheat, never beat :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    From what I can gather from the article, the Premier league don't currently have the teeth (expertise) to fight this case properly.
    I mean, given City's backing, they will find the best lawyers for the job.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

From what I can gather from the article, the Premier league don't currently have the teeth (expertise) to fight this case properly.

I hope (I mean I'm sure) that the PL can hire good lawyers as well :) Would be good seeing City play The 'Boro next season.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

I hope (I mean I'm sure) that the PL can hire good lawyers as well :) Would be good seeing City play The 'Boro next season.
    Is 'Boro in the conference?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    So it’s taken four years to bring the charges. Even if they are found guilty, which is a long way off given the financial power and access to the best KC’s and solicitors money can buy.

What sanctions are available that could realistically be applied without threatening the current league structure given the “super league” is on the back burner.

It might be a good thing overall to break the current structure as none of the governing bodies in football have shown any appetite to address the corruption in the sport.

With the ego’s, financial and state level political power at play, it will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Unfortunately I can’t see anything coming from this news story as too many entities have a vested interest for the status quo.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pinno
    Sure but City get a rap on the knuckles, the PL will 'tighten the rules' and make it all look like they have dealt with it and the status quo remains.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    pinno said:

Sure but City get a rap on the knuckles, the PL will 'tighten the rules' and make it all look like they have dealt with it and the status quo remains.

I saw elsewhere that Juventus got docked 15 points in similar circumstances. City would still be above Liverpool and Chelsea.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Shockingly they have a half decent chance of getting promoted. Carrick has done a bloody good job since he joined as they were close to the drop zone earlier in the season and were third last time I looked.

• Stevo_666
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

I saw elsewhere that Juventus got docked 15 points in similar circumstances. City would still be above Liverpool and Chelsea.
    It's a rather longer charge sheet for City - something like 115 separate offences. Throw the book at them I say...
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Shockingly they have a half decent chance of getting promoted. Carrick has done a bloody good job since he joined as they were close to the drop zone earlier in the season and were third last time I looked.

Never mind. My inference was that City could be relegated to the conference league.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,413
    A few points and a fine. They might not fight too hard and come to a deal if there’s no chance of winning the league but would still qualify for the Champions League. Relegation would be fun though.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    seanoconn said:

A few points and a fine. They might not fight too hard and come to a deal if there’s no chance of winning the league but would still qualify for the Champions League. Relegation would be fun though.

Sure but the headline news of 115 breaches of the rules will have to be followed up with fitting punishment or the PL will look silly and may look week in the eyes of the public and UEFA.
    I am not sure I have faith in the governing bodies anyway.
    FIFA run by Elephant boy have a lot to answer for for example.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Never mind. My inference was that City could be relegated to the conference league.
    I got it. Just fancied mentioning the mighty Boro as my Grandfather played 449 games for them.
  • Stevo_666
    edited February 2023
    pinno said:

seanoconn said:

Sure but the headline news of 115 breaches of the rules will have to be followed up with fitting punishment or the PL will look silly and may look week in the eyes of the public and UEFA.
    According to an article on the back page of the Metro some bloke was reading money then tube, its 131. They're almost certainly not going to get off all of them.

I'm not sure relegation is a strong enough punishment though - I reckon they should be made to play in the Scottish 'Premier' League :smiley:
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,638
    Ah well. Never mind.

I think >10 points as well, and it would cost them a year in the CL. Key question is whether Pep will stay and whether it will increase the premium required to acquire players. There's no doubt that the draw of playing for him has lowered the prices they've needed to pay in recent years.

I would like to say it will unravel, because if you are mired in financial scandal, then it's not all that useful from a sportswashing perspective. Probably not.
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

seanoconn said:

According to an article on the back page of the Metro some bloke was reading money then tube, its 131. They're almost certainly not going to get off all of them.

I'm not sure relegation is a strong enough punishment though - I reckon they should be made to play in the Scottish 'Premier' League :smiley:
    Man City youth girls team could compete in the Scottish PL.
  • Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

seanoconn said:

You're a Chelsea fan, right?
  • pinno

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

seanoconn said:

Can't you tell?
  • pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

seanoconn said:

Can't you tell?
    I just think it's rather short sighted to cheer for harsh penalties for financial irregularities given all the, you know, and so on in the past and future.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    edited February 2023

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

seanoconn said:

Can't you tell?
    I just think it's rather short sighted to cheer for harsh penalties for financial irregularities given all the, you know, and so on in the past and future.
    Whose money is preferable? Putin or Shake Mansour?

Doesn’t matter tbh, the Shake helped Abramovic move his/Putin’s money around to avoid the post invasion sanctions and he’s on hugging terms with Assad.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

seanoconn said:

In definitely don't support Abu Dhabi Utd, or Mancheater City as they're now known :smile:
  • Stevo_666
    Also, Guardiola said he would leave City if he has been lied to by the senior management. Appears they have told him everything is OK as far as FFP is concerned, so if they are found guilty, this could get interesting for him:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/02/07/pep-guardiolas-stomach-fight-tested-manchester-city-eye-storm/

Wonder whether City have Big Sam's number just in case?

Also, where's @city_boy when you need him :)
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

seanoconn said:

Man City youth girls team could compete in the Scottish PL.
    I reckon the one legged team would be in with a shout as well.
  • Stevo_666
    edited February 2023
    Looks like the European trophy dodgers' derby is on Prime tonight - might watch it.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    Chel$ea net spend this season €543.66m; Chel$ea 10th in table behind big hitters Brighton, Fulham and Brentford, and a whole 20 points behind Arsenal. Going well.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Chel$ea net spend this season €543.66m; Chel$ea 10th in table behind big hitters Brighton, Fulham and Brentford, and a whole 20 points behind Arsenal. Going well.

Only just bought most of them, takes time to filter through. In the meantime we'll enjoy our 2 Champions League trophies, which is 2 more than The Ar$e and Mancheater Shity have between them :)
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Only just bought most of them, takes time to filter through. In the meantime we'll enjoy our 2 Champions League trophies, which is 2 more than The Ar$e and Mancheater Shity have between them :)
    Standard response ^.
    You may end like MU having spent a fortune and play shyte for a number of years.