The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    seanoconn said:

Have absolutely no bias and don’t support Manchester City but they are the best team in Europe this season. Opportunities to win the champions league don’t come along very often so you have to take your chances, specially when at your peak. They may never win it.

Opportunities to win the cl come around annually.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416

seanoconn said:

Have absolutely no bias and don’t support Manchester City but they are the best team in Europe this season. Opportunities to win the champions league don’t come along very often so you have to take your chances, specially when at your peak. They may never win it.

To who? Every team? Or teams in form?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,547
    seanoconn said:

That's why Arsenal should have taken their chances when they were any good back in about 2005.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    Stevo_666 said:

seanoconn said:

That's why Arsenal should have taken their chances when they were any good back in about 2005.
    They were good. But Barcelona were better.
  • First.Aspect
    seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

Every team that takes part.
  • seanoconn

seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

Has an equal opportunity?
  • First.Aspect
    seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

Has an equal opportunity?
    That's the general idea. Unless someone from Italy bribes the referree.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    edited May 2022
    RM figure in the CL persistently.
    There's no reason why MC cannot.
    Liverpool have been in the final 2 years in a row (18 and 19).

City leaked goals in the semi.
    The Premier league is all very well but there are not many defences in the PL beyond the top say 3 (?) that match the likes of Barca, RM, Bayern, PSG, Atletico.
    That's what City have to address. Both them and Liverpool have formed fantastic striking forces but are still susceptible at the back.
    Chelsea's defence last year in the final, from the middle of the pitch backwards was as good a defence as I have ever seen in a final bar perhaps, Inter under Jose {that really was park the bus 5-3-2 stuff).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    So far so good for the potato boys :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,933
    Real Madrid can score goals, but their defence is woeful this year. Chelsea should have put at least 8 past them, and Man City the same - Pep was furious with the chances they missed in the first half of the first tie.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Anyway, we're going in to the game 4 pts in front and the pressure is on the spuds.

Not any more ;)
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,693
    Is this top quality moneyball? Rather boring.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Horrible to watch as a fan though
  • orraloon
    Approx 2.5h of boring shite then some interest at last.
  • Stevo_666
    It appears that rumours of Chelsea's demise have been greatly exaggerated :) Nice cuddly billionaire consortium now on board so roll on next season.
  • First.Aspect
    Stevo_666 said:

It appears that rumours of Chelsea's demise have been greatly exaggerated :) Nice cuddly billionaire consortium now on board so roll on next season.

Consortium. In it for money, not vanity (or embezzlement, depending on how you view the Chelski era). Not completely sure it will be business as usual, given the number of state run clubs there are now.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Consortium. In it for money, not vanity (or embezzlement, depending on how you view the Chelski era). Not completely sure it will be business as usual, given the number of state run clubs there are now.
    Boehly at least has the good sense to let Tuchel manage it how he wants (I.e. proper manager rather than head coach) - a bit like Klopp and Guardiola.
  • Stevo_666
    Anyone know where I can get same day delivery on a Real Madrid scarf? :p
  • First.Aspect
    So if FIFA expanded the World Cup to 210 teams, would Scotland still fail to qualify?
  • Stevo_666

So if FIFA expanded the World Cup to 210 teams, would Scotland still fail to qualify?

Seem to remember Scottish football was made famous in the Hitch Hikers guide to the Galaxy where the Scottish team played a genetically engineered goalie measuring 16 feet wide by 8 feet high who completely blocked the goal. But they still lost :)
  • pinno
    The thing is, the Ukraine team would have been really fired up for this one.
  • First.Aspect
    The team talk was easy.

"Lads, it's Scotland."
  • orraloon
    I don't mind Scotland losing out. I do want to see Ukraine featuring on a global stage, no way the assorted state meejahs could ignore the reality. Those taffy b4rstewards better not eff things up at the weekend.
  • Stevo_666

The team talk was easy.

"Lads, it's Scotland."

:D
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801
    edited June 2022
    orraloon said:

I don't mind Scotland losing out. I do want to see Ukraine featuring on a global stage, no way the assorted state meejahs could ignore the reality. Those taffy b4rstewards better not eff things up at the weekend.

I made my feelings clear on this a few months ago but that wasn't a gift, it was a loss.
    If you're going to lose anyway then may as well make a political point about it.
    Wales will also be trying to win. 🤞 they don't.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • seanoconn
    Hope Wales win. Would like to see Bale’s last hurrah on the big stage. Ukraine won Eurovision, what more do they want!?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Fantastic win by the England women last night. After 20 minutes or so with Sweden seemingly dominating I feared that it would all be a bit of a damp squib. Glad to see the improvement and then complete turnaround and that 3rd goal was superb.
  • pinno
  • pinno
    Conceding 1 goal to get to the final and they are on a roll.
    It would be great to see them win.
  • First.Aspect
    Could have went either way. Girls done well. You don't beat your Swdens, your Norways or your Spains that often.