London drinks

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,522
    I'm there. Any BR folk around and logged on?
  • TheBigBean
    I'm at the 25m to go sign on the riff-raff side. Come say hello if you're around.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Incoming. 20 mins.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • TheBigBean
    Hugh Porter is causing chaos and a couple of mechanical dopers have been busted - gearing in the fixed race
  • Macaloon
    No Sky in front group. Season disintegrates.

Farrar leading chase.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Ah well. I guessed Josh Edmondson in the Rouleur win your weight in beer competition. Just as well I lost cos that's probably one of reasons I'm the weight I am
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I must have been right near you big bean but I had no juice in my phone :-( There was an guy who sounded exactly like you but he didn't look like you and certainly didn't know as much about cycling!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    it was a good day wasnt it. Me mate did well in the folding bike race (made the final). We were on the bottom corner right on the crash mat (by the lfgss boom box) so got to see a good few moments.

Despite everything though I reserve maximum respect for the Penny Farthing racers. That was really fun to watch and very impressive
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Paul 8v
    Our guy George came second in the Kermesse, he's a good lad with lots of potential. Came out for our club run today and did a 165km "recovery ride" to the blue egg where he ripped our legs off :-)
  • TheBigBean
    Was a good day. My first time at such an event.

I ended up meeting the Macaloon family which was fun (even though I did give wholly inappropriate career advice to his kids, but that's another story.)

Next year, we should definitely be a bit more organised in advance and make a meeting place!
  • Paul 8v
    Macaloon wrote:
    Must be a few attending the Beards for Bradley vigil with the hipsteratti tonight. Hoping to get there around 6:30. Is there a rendezvous zone?
    Being a country boy, I have never seen so many hipsters with beards on fixies!

Most entertaining rider of the night has to be the guy on the yellow Borris bike who was high fiving everyone, he definitely got the biggest cheers
  • Macaloon
    edited June 2014
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I ended up meeting the Macaloon family which was fun (even though I did give wholly inappropriate career advice to his kids, but that's another story.)

Indeed. If your kids are insufficiently rebellious, counselor BigBean's your man. Endless tales of gap years, debauched 6th form colleges, and wheelsuckery instantly unravel years of responsible parenting.

Loved it.
  • ddraver
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Being a country boy, I have never seen so many hipsters with beards on fixies!

I thangyow... :wink:
    - @ddraver
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    I hope the person who was injured before the track bike race and required ambulance treatment for more than 30 mins was OK. One of the stewards said he thought it was a colarbone but surely they would have been able to treat them quicker than that. Whatever it was must have been serious.

Nevertheless a great night and my wife seems to have sold it to her rowing friends who seem keen to come next year.
  • Paul 8v
    What actually happened there? Was it in the warm up between the two races?

Poor old Katie Archibold crashed right in front of me, we'd moved round the track and I was just explaining who she was to one of the other guys and she walloped the barrier right in front of me! I think someone said it was the motorbike's fault but I didn't hear it, I just heard the pegs on the back hit the ground.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I wasn't there, but there was a big crash in the retro bike race apparently - one guy took out another (due to running a bad line through the first corner at the bottom - the middle of the road there is a mess) and there were 2 broken collar bones - one twice, the other one in 4 places. The guy who broke it in 4 places was in a lot of pain and there was a lot of concern that he may have broken his back which is why it took so long.

He's ok now though - posted pictures of the break on facebook.

Both experienced racers apparently....
  • ddraver
    Paul 8v wrote:
    What actually happened there? Was it in the warm up between the two races?

Poor old Katie Archibald crashed right in front of me, we'd moved round the track and I was just explaining who she was to one of the other guys and she walloped the barrier right in front of me! I think someone said it was the motorbike's fault but I didn't hear it, I just heard the pegs on the back hit the ground.

Yep, we were in crash central. I think Katie (not that I knew who she was) crashed becasue as the motorbike came round the corner one of the pegs (I think the one the cameraman was using) hit the ground hard. She either thought it was her scraping or skidding, or that the motorbike was going to crash and straightened up the a split second. Unfortunately that was enough so that she did nt make the corner and ended up slithering into the barriers.

The guy in the Kermesse I'm not sure but I heard that he took out two of the struts on the barriers so he hit the ground very hard. I think there were concerned about his neck/back so took it very slow (as they should!)

The retro bike race was an unfortunate clash of wheels which sent everyone scattering. Everyone got up with rueful smiles on their faces and I think they were sort of proud of such a "proper cyclist injury" much as it's a sucky thing to happen
    - @ddraver
  • Paul 8v
    The camera bike was scraping every lap for the men's race. We're you one of the guys that picked up her bike for her? I must have been stood next to you as well! We should do a bike radar mugshots thread so we all know what each other looks like!

Mind you, if you're a beardy hipster I'd have Bob Hope and no hope of finding you in that skinny jeans/no socks/boat shoe frenzy :-)
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    Katie Archibald is a phenomenal rider athletically, but word on the street is her bike handling is pony (see her face plant at ToB).
    Fortunately for her and the bunch, she's normally up the road before she can cause too much damage.
    Didn't see her crash on Sat, though, so can't comment on blame there...
  • ddraver
    Yep, i think it was trying to stay further in front of the elites so it slowed down a lot more in that corner so it was a lot less of an issue, but that lap it really really scraped.

We were further behind where she actually went down but I must have walked past you as the mens was finishing ;(. I'm not skinny...
    - @ddraver
  • Paul 8v
    Anyone fancy an in-tour meet-up? Maybe the Champs Elysees stage, will any bars show it, or maybe Look mum no hands or something?

Much to discuss, many beers to be drunk etc...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,612
    LMNH will be a bit of a bumfight but I'm up for an after work drink.
  • ddraver
    I'd be up for that. Let me know a day so i can request that one off..?
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Friday at LMNH? Not sure I'll make it for the actual stage but could do after work...
  • rick_chasey
    dish_dash wrote:
    Friday at LMNH? Not sure I'll make it for the actual stage but could do after work...

Obviously.
  • Paul 8v
    I can't do this Friday but next would be fine
  • TheBigBean
    It's time to start thinking about the BR Christmas bash
  • rick_chasey
    Still happy to meet in the city?