Aggresive Hardtail Thread!

Comments

• x9t5.jpg

9zm5.jpg

s9g2.jpg

11ql.jpg

vyfu.jpg

Photos of my 456 summer season in dalby forest , cnoc coinich on the cowal way, Ben Arthur, Ben vorlich and the head of Loch Fyne. Not in that order.
  • arran77 wrote:
    2hy8iuv.jpg

Loving this!! I want one :D
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Realise there's no shots of it that are the whole bike, so here it is at swinley

ube3.jpg

z8dt.jpg
  • Is it me just not paying attention or is there just no P7s being posted up.
  • My 6 year olds sons "aggressive hardtail"! Not 120mm travel forks (63mm) but then it does only have 20" wheels! It does however have deore M615 brakes, short stem, wide bars, 1x8, superstar chain device, folding 2.35 maxxis snypers etc etc, so ticks all the other boxes for aggressive hardtail :D

IMG_20131130_034205.jpg

And riding it -

IMG_20131201_122713.jpg
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    fizik wrote:
    Cqc wrote:
    fizik wrote:
    Cqc wrote:
    Lefty forks are the stupidest invention ever. Don't do it.

Have you tried one? Just because something is different doesn't make it stupid, they are much stiffer than most singlecrown forks for starters. Cant use short stems with the old ones though which is a bit of a bugger!
    Well the whole stem thing is a bit dumb, as well as the fact that you have to change the front hub... I mean how much of a weight weenie do you have to be to get a lefty fork? Spares and servicing is harder too, just get a normal one

I admit I wouldn't buy one to put on my bike, but I wouldn't neccessarly take one off if the bike came with one on
    Neither would I, but he was thinking of switching TO them, which is a bad idea
  • I like them as they are stiffer than a 'standard' boingy fork and also the quirky nature...

in reality I wouldn't change as the expense isnt worth it and my abilities will probably never exceed what the Reba's can cope with :)
  • Bon C
    Bon C Posts: 9
    I don't get the point of all that extra travel up front when the back end still bounces around like a crash test dummy!

hmmm

nice pics though
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    For grip and traction?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Bon C wrote:
    I don't get the point of all that extra travel up front when the back end still bounces around like a crash test dummy!

hmmm

nice pics though
    Because it's fun, and cheap?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Bon C wrote:

hmmm

nice pics though

Not to mention it's a lot more simple and less to go wrong.
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • pesky_jones
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Bon C wrote:

hmmm

nice pics though

Like mephedrone
  • brucie45 wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Bon C wrote:

hmmm

nice pics though

Not to mention it's a lot more simple and less to go wrong.
    And you have to pick lines and avoid some obstacles rather than just float over everything.
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Bon C wrote:

hmmm

nice pics though

Like mephedrone
    Whatever floats your boat, i'd rather ride a hardtail though...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • pesky_jones
    ilovedirt wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Bon C wrote:

hmmm

nice pics though

Like mephedrone
    Whatever floats your boat, i'd rather ride a hardtail though...

:D ha me too, me too
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Everyone should have a hardcore hardtail at least once in their life, I've technically had 4! :lol:

First up was my beloved Kinesis XC120, built it when I was 15 and still have the frame hanging in the garage. Here's a few pics of it as it developed over the years :)

DSCF3261.jpg

DSCF3415.jpg

DSCF3427.jpg

DSCF4176.jpg

P2210429.jpg

As far as I'm concerned one of the best hardtails ever made, it's a brilliant, brilliant bike. Sadly nowadays it a little outdated, it's a bit steep and you can't really fit a decent dropper post, but it served me fantastically over the years and I just can't bring to get rid of it.

Having had the Maxlight for 6 years the other 3 have all happened very quickly! :oops: Various reasons for this, but it's been cool to own them, nothing like new bike excitement! :)

IMG_0974.jpg

The Carbon 456 was the Maxlight's replacement, silly light, great geometry but on longer rides it was like riding a plank of wood, certainly not the most comfortable thing in the world that's for sure! I never really bonded with it so after 18 months I sold it on and transferred the parts over to a new frame.

I briefly had a Stanton Slackline, super nice frame but things just didn't work out, which was gutting :( Was never ridden in anger, but it did look ruddy awesome built up.

DSCF4824.jpg

Finally I now have a Cotic BFe, which from first impression is certainly in the same catergory as the Maxlight, I honestly can't find anything worth worrying about that's wrong with it, the geometry's brilliant, it rides much smoother than the 456 so it's great on a long day out in the saddle and yet it's strong enough to ride the wheels of it, as I have done already :lol:

photo41.jpg

So a brief history of my hardcore hardtails, if you don't own one already then you really should! Sure a full susser can smooth the trail out more and a little more forgiving, but as a change of scenery from the sometimes easy ride of susser, bikes like this really are hard to beat :)
  • pesky_jones
    Hm been toying with the idea of a bfe for a while now...might give steel a go. I think its pretty much same specs as my 16" hornet in terms of fittings so would probally be ok... hmmm
  • pesky_jones
    Got distracted by the last picture, but cheers for those pics and story lawman, what this thread needs
  • lawman
    Hm been toying with the idea of a bfe for a while now...might give steel a go. I think its pretty much same specs as my 16" hornet in terms of fittings so would probally be ok... hmmm

They're great bikes! Tbh I think most long travel hardtails are pretty good these, especially the steel ones.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Lawman, are you actually running Crests on your Cotic?
  • lawman
    Lawman, are you actually running Crests on your Cotic?

Aye, I've had 2 sets of crests on both bikes for the past two years and until I started riding more DH and uplifts they never missed a beat for general trail riding, some of the best rims I've had, if not the best. I recently bought 2 Arch Ex's to relace the back wheels of both bikes just for extra piece of mind as the fronts are still faultless but the rears have a few dings and flat spots in.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I look at Crests and ponder if they'd handle my 14 and a half stone with the way I tend to smash through stuff
  • lawman
    I look at Crests and ponder if they'd handle my 14 and a half stone with the way I tend to smash through stuff

Arch EX's would probably be better then, you might be ok on a susser but on a hardtail something stronger would be better
  • Look what turned up at my place today ... :lol: :P :lol: :P

On One 45650b in Super Raw ...

Looks brilliant I think ... can't wait to get it out and get it muddy tomorrow!
  • ilovedirt
    I was waiting for one of those to appear in this thread, they look ace. Let us know how it rides!?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Im looking at getting one of these.. be insteresting to know how you get on!
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    Quick shakedown ride this morning ... mixture of "this is different" [to my Boardman Team] ... and starting to be impressed.

Its a smaller frame than the Boardman (18" vs 19"), and the Boardman seems a bit more stretched out ... the 456 has wider bars ... the geometry is pretty different ... so spent most of the hour's ride just getting used to the different cockpit feel.

The fork seems very good, and a significant on the Recon 120 gold on the Boardman (although that is in desperate need of a service!), but soaked up stuff well and seems very controlled. Need to ride it a bit more, and suspect I need to put a bit more air in.

The 650 wheels are a small, but noticeable improvement in terms of not getting hooked up on stuff compared with the 26" wheels ... The ardents coped better in the mud than the NN's on the Boardman, both in terms of cornering and traction, and seemed to deal with roots and rocks well.

Too early to make comparisons about what the frame feels like, and I would need to ride over more sustained rough / rocky stuff to be able to offer a view ...

The bike, or course, looks even better with mud all over it!

So, early days, but I enjoyed the ride this morning a lot ...am looking forward to ragging it down some gnarlier stuff! I think I'm going to enjoy this bike a lot! :D
  • pesky_jones
    Just stripped it down to the frame and given it a service. Fitted a new narrow wide chain ring and new chain device. I know I shouldn't need both but I dont trust it. Heard from a few people with full suss bikes that they dropped chains when it gets rough so for a hardtail..
    IMAG0379_zps4ecbf5bb.jpg

IMAG0378_zps6443e454.jpg

IMAG0377_zpsbc861049.jpg
  • careca78
    careca78 Posts: 102
    Good afternoon

I’m pleased to inform that I’ve just finished my On One 456 Evo 2 assembly with the following:

Frame: On-One 456 Evo2 Frame / 18 Inch / Hot Smoked Paprika
    Fork: Fox Vanilla 130 RL / 1 1/8 Inch / 26 Inch with QR Axle (2005 model)
    Front Derailleur: SLX / 2x10 / 34.9mm Clamp / High Clamp
    Rear Derailleur: SLX / 10 Speed / Long Cage
    Shifters: SLX
    Chainset: SLX
    Crank length: 170mm
    Chainrings: 38-24T
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano SLX
    Cassette: SLX 10-speed 11-36T
    Chain: SLX
    Front Brake: SHIMANO SLX disc brake BR-M675 - Servo Wave - (standard)
    Rear Brake: SHIMANO SLX disc brake BR-M675 - Servo Wave - (standard)
    Handlebars: El Guapo Ancho B Handlebar, 760mm, 31.8mm Clamp
    Grips: On-One Bob On Lock-On Grips / Black
    Stem: On-One Hot Box Stem / 60mm / Polished Black / 7 degrees / 31.8mm Clamp
    Headset: On-One Smoothie Regular Headset / 1 1/8 inch / Black / External
    Wheels: Sun Ringlé DS2-XC 26” QR
    Front Tyre: IRC Claw Comp
    Rear Tyre: Maxxis Advantage
    Saddle: On-One Bignose Evo Saddle / CroMo Rail
    Seatpost: On-One Twelfty MTB Seatpost / 30,9mm / Black / 400mm
    Seat Clamp: On-One TECH Series CNC Quick Release Seatclamp / 34.9 mm / Black
    Pedals: On Off
    Weight: 13,25kg (29,21lbs for the metrically challenged)

Had my first ride this weekend and despite not being familiar with the bike the thing that impressed me more was how confidant inspiring and playful the bike behaved. The assembly turned out a bit on the heavy side, but being used to a 14,5kg Mondraker Foxy it actually felt like a feather!

For all of you out there, forget all conventions and try something like a long travel hardtail… just for fun!

Cheers

PS: Sorry for thee low quality picture
  • pesky_jones
    Here's my hornet and a mates phantom.
    IMAG0390_zpsbcd8945d.jpg

IMAG0392_zps5f0719e7.jpg