Chris Froome Lookign at Stems

Comments

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,232
    Can someone explain why if this was a proven and effective way of increasing your performance why we dont watch a race and see the majority of riders looking like idiots with their head constantly bowed?

Perhaps you could look at it another way; why do all these "top riders" keep getting pulverised into the sand (Middle East)/dust (everywhere else) because they don't look at their stems...? Clearly it's them who look like idiots for not looking at their stems (and for getting pulverised).

That's the real reason they need ear pieces with their DS's - they're saying "left a bit... A bit more....good, now straight-ish... sharp right coming up...don't look up - keep looking at the stem..."
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    Alright, it's a tic

*shrugs*

Given that he was doing this as per Rich's post (assuming that is what he was doing and not just a one-off) then I suspect this is the only logical answer. Really unpleasant to watch though - human beings connect with people by looking at their face.
    I think it's just a twitch as RR says. However, we can't rule out the idea that it may be beneficial by accident. Also maybe he developed it as a result of being someone who was born and grew up at altitude.

Personally, I like to think it goes back to his African mountain biking roots and he's looking out for snakes.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • C'mon people, It's got nothing to do with marginal gains airway maximisation and nothing to do with SRM slavery. Giro 2009 riding for Barloworld:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEGpv0xn0E8
    (from 5:15 to 5:41)
    It's not pretty but hey ho.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Has anyone stopped to think he just finds it comfortable?
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    edited February 2014
    Alright, it's a tic

*shrugs*

Given that he was doing this as per Rich's post (assuming that is what he was doing and not just a one-off) then I suspect this is the only logical answer. Really unpleasant to watch though - human beings connect with people by looking at their face.

I expect not everybody can hold their heads back like AC. It sort of rests on the top of his shoulders in a freakish way.

I posted a while back it's easier to breathe in a low pressure region than with your head stuck out in the airflow and also the possibility of windpipe constriction if the head is not in line with the trunk.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Alright, it's a tic

*shrugs*

I think it's just a twitch as RR says. However, we can't rule out the idea that it may be beneficial by accident. Also maybe he developed it as a result of being someone who was born and grew up at altitude.

Personally, I like to think it goes back to his African mountain biking roots and he's looking out for snakes.

It's the impala that'll kill ya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2oymHHyV1M
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I think the bit that annoys me about the whole thing is that he's clearly not looking at his stem. More like at the bottle cage on the down tube.

But that doesn't fit with him being a robot.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    iainf72 wrote:
    I think the bit that annoys me about the whole thing is that he's clearly not looking at his stem. More like at the bottle cage on the down tube.

Unless that's where his battery is kept.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    Back to that now legendary Abergavenny breakaway:

brit09-wiggins.jpg
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Hydraulic reservoir perhaps? Like Porte said, it's just how he rides, it ain't pretty but it gets the job done.
  • ocdupalais
    iainf72 wrote:

He's looking at his Power Meter like a robot and dropping the World's best, if you're a Sky hater: he's not looking at anything in particular/opening his diaphragm/dropping the World's best if you're not a Sky hater...

Take your pick; either way, as robots go, I rather chance myself with K-9 from the old Dr Who or a Sinclair product... We'd need Michelle Cound's word on this, but my suspicion is that Froome is about as robotic as Peter Crouch's dance or that cretin robot from the World's Worst Film Ever: Short Ciruit 2...
    In other words; looks a bit daft but not robotic...

The problem is that this leaves us with a category conundrum: if he's not a "robot" then he's utterly unique and a Tour champion that deserves utter respect for not only continuing a line of un-tainted champions, but for beating those that have been sanctioned/tainted... Perhaps it takes an odd-ball/quirky/yet strangely conformist nutter or two to help shake off the the past demons.. (How's Graeme Obree doing these days?)...
  • ocdupalais
    RichN95 wrote:

brit09-wiggins.jpg

On the roadside that fine day when "Fatty Froome" went up the road with Bradley...

2 stand out memories: Cav looking quite comfortable up the Tumble - on the front (ish) of the main group (if you haven't done it, it's a f*cking hard climb for the UK).
    An 8 year old boy (sat with his older brothers and their mates) mis-timed a fart so loud that it distracted everyone just after the lead riders went through - as everyone turned to look he said, pointing, " the tree did it!". It was very funny at the time. As was Chris Froome's riding style.
  • RichN95.
    OCDuPalais wrote:

2 stand out memories: Cav looking quite comfortable up the Tumble - on the front (ish) of the main group (if you haven't done it, it's a f*cking hard climb for the UK).
    An 8 year old boy (sat with his older brothers and their mates) mis-timed a fart so loud that it distracted everyone just after the lead riders went through - as everyone turned to look he said, pointing, " the tree did it!". It was very funny at the time. As was Chris Froome's riding style.
    I was there too. In Abergavenny - hence the photo I posted. Froome was a monster that day. By far the strongest in the race.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited February 2014
    Can someone explain why if this was a proven and effective way of increasing your performance why we dont watch a race and see the majority of riders looking like idiots with their head constantly bowed?

Because Sky are willing to do things which make them look like idiots?

P-Gaimon.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR--GQpDQ5M-uVuS1npfNnwp9ghk7wNzjSEBoR9xF5N3NU3pQCOLA
    1725166_637107802991653_1058505056_n.jpg
  • ThomThom wrote:

Because Sky are willing to do things which make them look like idiots?

P-Gaimon.jpg

Game on
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    C'mon people, It's got nothing to do with marginal gains airway maximisation and nothing to do with SRM slavery. Giro 2009 riding for Barloworld:

Interesting. Pours cold water on the SKY robot / SRM theories. Just seems to be his 'style'.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    inseine wrote:
    C'mon people, It's got nothing to do with marginal gains airway maximisation and nothing to do with SRM slavery. Giro 2009 riding for Barloworld:

Interesting. Pours cold water on the SKY robot / SRM theories. Just seems to be his 'style'.
    He's anal about numbers. You can see a prime example of it in that video - attack/stop and check/attack again/stop and check/attack again.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • Anonymous
    JSCL wrote:
    inseine wrote:

He's anal about numbers. You can see a prime example of it in that video - attack/stop and check/attack again/stop and check/attack again.

Wait so when he's attacking, and in the red, he has time to process numbers and do calculations? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • sjmclean wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    inseine wrote:

Wait so when he's attacking, and in the red, he has time to process numbers and do calculations? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

You never ridden with a PM then (for a longer period of time )?
  • Anonymous
    kamil1891 wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    inseine wrote:

You never ridden with a PM then (for a longer period of time )?

No, I haven't.

Expand please.
  • Might be a stupid question but has anyone asked Froome why he rides with his head going up and down?

Might be a short cut to the right answer.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    Might be a stupid question but has anyone asked Froome why he rides with his head going up and down?

Might be a short cut to the right answer.

To be honest I doubt he's given it all that much thought. It's just how he rides. It's his natural style. That's how he's most comfortable, maybe because he gets a touch more air , but not on a conscious level. And obviously he's checking for snakes as well :D
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Remind me why we care? He's a phenomenal cyclist. Nuff said.
  • vertigo16 wrote:
    Remind me why we care? He's a phenomenal cyclist. Nuff said.

That's the reason we care?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620
    iainf72 wrote:
    There is also some interesting stuff re: Froome in here

http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=indepth.view&id=139

The last paragraph from Dr. Evil is quite interesting. Looks like he is not sure how to achieve such thinness, or maybe he just thinks it is more dangerous than orange juice.
    Just like Froome, Farah, as well as for the outstanding performances, impresses for the ghastly, unhealthy thinness.
    Achieved how...? Only with a particularly strict diet?
    This is the question those who care about the physical and mental health of the athletes should try to answer to.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    RichN95 wrote:

brit09-wiggins.jpg

I hate that cattle grid!
  • Stage 6
    2014022446_20140223CY0007.jpg.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I think we get the point
  • Anonymous
    Stage 6
    2014022446_20140223CY0007.jpg.jpg

Rigo's looking down and whoever the second from the back sky rider is is as well. Maybe there is method and froome just uses it more.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Not sure if this was commented on elsewhere, but beware, other stem-starers are coming your way

From the interview with Nico Roche in cyclist:

"Stefano Feltrin has told us there will be a greater focus on sports science which has clearly worked for Sky. Training with power meters, for instance..."