Red Fizik R3's £59 !!

1235»

Comments

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Yes they are down to £70 for black and white which is the lowest they have been. I am tempted.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    how's the fit? I have broad feet

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    so do i see my previous posts in this thread
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    how's the fit? I have broad feet

They're a wide fit, so ideal.
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,643
    Cheers guys.

Just ordered a black & white pair.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Cheers guys.

Rick you have wide feet? but youre tiny
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,643
    itboffin wrote:
    Cheers guys.

Rick you have wide feet? but youre tiny

Proportional innit? ;).

Size 7....

And odd toes.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    doogee wrote:
    Resurrecting this thread I know but I'm wondering if anyone else is having problems with the straps on their R3's? I bought a pair at the end of last summer after seeing this thread and while they have been used in all weathers (certainly not abused) I have now noticed that both sailcloth straps on the right shoe are starting to break.

The middle strap is worse with about 2/3's of the strap now broken across it's width. I've had a look at strap and while I know that the cloth is strong (used to windsurf so fair knowledge of it) I did note that the reinforcing x-ply doesn't appear to run up the edge of the strap... So effectively every time you tighten the straps you are loading the edge of the monofilm where it has no strengthening (where it's needed most!) meaning it will just break after repeated folding/closures (monofilm is like a crisp packet, once it has a nick in it it just tears!) Maybe I'm just unlucky with the way the straps have been cut from the cloth? Not what I would expect from shoes with an RRP of £250 and even at the £59 I would expect more than 6 months use from them...
    Bringing this thread back from the dead again... How are your straps doing now doogee? The straps on mine are starting to fray as well. My R3s replaced a pair of Specialized BG Elites from 2007 that had been used and abused (probably done about 13,000 miles). They were still functional, but looked a bit of a state. The R3s aren't feeling like such a smart purchase now!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Got a pair from Wiggle (price matched from Planet X) a couple of months ago and have used them a few times. I plan to use them more and more this year so will let you know how they age but at least I know I can fall back onto Wiggle's warranty service if there is a problem with them.

IME nothing beats a Specialized shoe.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • graeme_s-2
    gabriel959 wrote:
    My nice shoes are a pair of 2012 S-Works which I've only worn a few times. I'd planned to get some cheaper specialized shoes to replace the BG Elites for commuting, winter training etc but thought the R3s were a steal at that price. Now I'm less convinced!
  • doogee
    doogee Posts: 82
    I've not done anything about them to be honest, it hasn't become any worse and I've spent a winter using them on the turbo and the strap is still in one piece. It feels like I can't apply the same pressure to that particular strap but I'm happy to live with it and use them for foul weather spring/summer rides. I've a second pair that I bought which are still boxed and will use once these die, see if they last any longer. It's a shame as they are really good shoes otherwise and I can see why the x-ply idea sounded good on paper but it doesn't seem to last when repeatedly flexed through 180 degrees.

I bought a pair of Giro Pro-lights when Evans were selling them off at half price back in March as I was lucky on the sizes left. An even better shoe imo and they have 3 velcro straps which seem much better made!

I'll agree on Spesh shoes, I've a pair of the BG Experts that are now too big for my feet but they were the comfiest shoes I've ever worn!
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    gabriel959 wrote:
    <snip>

Me too or should I say me shoe.

I bought some new road shoes a short while ago. I fancied some of those fancy dan Garneau shoes or else a pair of shimano shoes. Tried them on and they were uncomfortable, pinched in all the wrong places even though they were the correct size.

Tried on a pair of the Big 'S' and they fit like a glove.

Why bother with anything else?
    FCN = 4
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Because we haven't all got "Big S" shaped feet?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • graeme_s-2
    edited December 2014
    Dredging this thread back from the depths of the forum.

Several of the straps on my R3s are hanging by a thread now, and it's only a matter of time until they snap completely. It's a shame, because they are otherwise an excellent pair of shoes that I'm sure would last many years. I've decided to keep wearing them until they fail, but have now ordered a pair of these to replace them:

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Specia ... W0?wmp=388

I've been very pleased with all my Specialized shoes so far (this will be pair 4 I think, 3rd pair of road shoes), and at £99.99 plus another tenner off with the code on the site, these seemed a bit of a bargain. So my S-works for nice days, and these for everything else I think. Once one of the straps on my R3s snaps anyway, which I suspect won't be long now.

Can't complain too much given the price, but have ultimately been a bit disappointed with the R3s. If I'd paid the RRP for them I'd be gutted.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I note that Fizik are offering BOA for 2015...
  • graeme_s-2
    I note that Fizik are offering BOA for 2015...
    I noticed this too. The BOA system replaces the ratchet and one of the velcro straps, leaving one velcro strap left. It's the velcro straps on mine that are failing, the ratchets are still fine. The straps on the new shoes look to be made from the same material as mine (although they may be finishing it in some way that makes it far less prone to failure).
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Mine just snapped clean off one day. Shoes were practically brand new. Sent them back to Planet X for a full refund. Now onto my 5th pair of Diadoras.
  • graeme_s-2
    BigMat wrote:
    Mine just snapped clean off one day. Shoes were practically brand new. Sent them back to Planet X for a full refund. Now onto my 5th pair of Diadoras.
    Was that within 12 months of purchase, or afterwards?
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    It's a long shot and a bit cheeky.
    If anyone is throwing away any knackered shoes I would be grateful if you could pass on the removable heel guard to me please.
    Mine came off in a crash and to buy from Fizik after adding the currency charges comes to over £20! :shock:

I love the shoes by the way and seem to have been lucky so far with the straps.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Graeme_S wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    Was that within 12 months of purchase, or afterwards?

I think I had them for around 9 months - bought last September, wore for one weekend then saved until started racing again this March. Wore them for races only so maybe a dozen times max, around June / July I was getting ready for a crit at Palace and the strap just came away in my hand. Shame as the shoes were otherwise in perfect condition and I liked them.