Red Fizik R3's £59 !!

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    avababy24 wrote:
    So if I order a 45 what UK size will it say on the side of the box ? Ta

I'm guessing at 10

And 11 on the tongue of the shoe :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    10.5 on my 45's (R1's though)
    I'm 45 in shimano, 44 irl.. :?
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Good lady got me some R1s in a 42.5 (tried R3 a few months back in a 43 and they were a touch too big).
    Lovely fit and great great quality just like my white Fizik Kurve Bull saddle they match :oops:
    The Sidas footbed is a great touch and I'd like to get it properly moulded sometime.
    Only had a couple of easy rides but I think I'm gonna love them and considering doing the 240km Otztal Radmarathon in them on Sunday unless it rains as much as the forcasts currently say :(
    As for Kangeroo leather I've been a fan since 1984 when I had a pair of Patrick Kevin Keegan (ones with the luminous orange stripes 8) ) footy boots made of the stuff, best boots I ever had.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Mike_L
    Mike_L Posts: 28
    avababy24 wrote:
    So if I order a 45 what UK size will it say on the side of the box ? Ta

Just got a pair of size 45

Box states

45 EUR
    11 UK
    11 1/3 US

Both Tongues State

45 EUR
    11 UK
    11 US

and I probably am a true 45 & take 45 is Specialized - but would say it's actually 10.5 UK size

anyway - they fit fine

Mike
  • kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    Pair of size 45's ordered 2 days ago delivered this morning.
    The packaging and presentation is gorgeous really feels like a £200+ product - shoe construction seems likewise and the red with the red/white sparkly closures is outrageously tarty.
    My feet fairly wide and high arched but the arch really is quite high in these I guess that's a feature of the fit as others have mentioned.
    Take a 45 in Specialized road shoe and these fit fine - tiny bit roomy in the toe box but fine for length - might have got away with a 44.5 but going to stick with these can't wait to get them cleated up :)
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    The thing people are saying about the high arch.

Fizik actually supply a decent footbed unlike most shoes (SIDI thin cardboard and foam springs to mind) therefore they have proper support in them. It's just we're used to getting the shite soles in normal shoes!

Have I said I love 'em? :wink:
  • meanredspider
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    The thing people are saying about the high arch.

Fizik actually supply a decent footbed unlike most shoes (SIDI thin cardboard and foam springs to mind) therefore they have proper support in them. It's just we're used to getting the shite soles in normal shoes!

Have I said I love 'em? :wink:

Sidi are shocking. But the Spesh ones are very good and suit the shape of my feet better (the "Red" ones - they come in 3 shapes of arch). Which is why I bought a set (and they come with wedges too) for my Fiziks
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Graeme_S wrote:
    They also made the muscles in the soles of my feet ache a bit, but hoping I'll get used to the shoes and that will go away.

I've been using mine all week - still sore :cry:
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Greer_ wrote:
    I've been using mine all week - still sore :cry:
    I was off all last week (visiting the in-laws in Co. Down in fact). Back on the bike this morning and they felt better. Will see how they are after a couple of weeks continuous commuting. Tempted to do an MRS and put a pair of flatter Spec insoles in them.

For those still struggling with size I have a pair in a 47 which is the same size I take in Spec. These are longer and narrower than the spec shoes (maybe they're the same volume? :lol:). There's a bit more room in the toe box than I'd normally go for, but the fit is ok for me, and if I went down a size I think they'd be too narrow. I probably have fairly wide feet though (well - wide across the balls and narrow heels I think).
  • meanredspider
    Graeme_S wrote:
    (well - wide across the balls and narrow heels I think).

I've been told I'm very wide across the balls :wink: And the shaft :wink:

Being slightly serious for a second, my feet sound similar shaped to yours. S-Works fitted the best. These fit fine but, as you say, seem longer. That said, the insoles for the Fiziks and the S-Works were identical shape & size. Must take a pic to demonstrate that.
  • graeme_s-2
    :lol:

I have a pair of 2012 S-Works, but I haven't sat the Fiziks down next to them. My comparison was between my Fiziks and an old pair of Specialized Elite shoes.
  • Greer_
    I'm thinking of swapping the insoles with my old shimano shoes - seems a waste on a £250 pair of shoes but I haven't got used to the high arch! My left foot is fine, my right foot is killing me after a 17 mile commute!
  • meanredspider
    As promised - here's a Spesh insole on top of the Fizik one (same size) -they are as close to identical in outline as I can imagine

9606842713_bb3b2233d8_z_d.jpg
  • graeme_s-2
    Greer_ wrote:
    I'm thinking of swapping the insoles with my old shimano shoes - seems a waste on a £250 pair of shoes but I haven't got used to the high arch! My left foot is fine, my right foot is killing me after a 17 mile commute!
    Where abouts does your foot hurt? For me it's the blade of my foot on the little toe side that aches like the muscles are working hard
  • Greer_
    Its the inside of the arch of my foot. It just feels like there's a ridge in the shoe - not comfy at all! What I don't understand is why my left foot is fine, as I've never had trouble like this before!
  • meanredspider
    Greer_ wrote:
    Its the inside of the arch of my foot. It just feels like there's a ridge in the shoe - not comfy at all! What I don't understand is why my left foot is fine, as I've never had trouble like this before!

Funnily enough my right foot hurts more than my left with the Fiziks. Basically your feet aren't identical. Chances are your legs are different lengths
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Or perhaps you (Greer) pronate more on the right foot?

I bought a pair of these for the missus - she is a 41 in 'normal' shoes and her Pearl Izumis are a 42 so given the earlier comments about these coming up large I got her a 41 and they are spot-on. I tried them on and they were snug so if I succumb to the temptation of the silver ones I'll need a 42 (currently a 43 in Shimano RO77s).
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Shoes arrived this morning and they feel and look top quality. I went half a size smaller than my Giro's and the fit is spot on - 46.5 Giro/Shimano - 46 Fiziks. I have about 5mm room from end of toes to the front, which is how I like to wear them, so perfect. I bought the Black R1 - not so much of a bargain but ok for me. Has anyone tried a diy technique for moulding the sole? If no, I'll wear the shoes as they are and hope mould shapes naturally.
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    indyP wrote:
    Shoes arrived this morning and they feel and look top quality. I went half a size smaller than my Giro's and the fit is spot on - 46.5 Giro/Shimano - 46 Fiziks. I have about 5mm room from end of toes to the front, which is how I like to wear them, so perfect. I bought the Black R1 - not so much of a bargain but ok for me. Has anyone tried a diy technique for moulding the sole? If no, I'll wear the shoes as they are and hope mould shapes naturally.
    Is there any? Are there any methods for the R3?
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Only the R1 have the mouldable insole. Also I don't think there is a technique other than the Fizik equipment, unfortunately :(
  • Longish weekend ride with these on today on the best bike and they were friggin awesome. Stiff as a pair of planks (in a good way), instantly comfy like a pair of slippers and a source of hilarity to my riding buddies for their dorothy red blingness. What more could you want for £59 :D

In the interests of balance they do not keep rain out (I love the Scottish autumn), the rachet mechanism is not perfect and can be a bit of a faff to engage but other than that they feel as high end as their original RRP suggests
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Now you've all had them a while....

I am interested in some R3s or SLs.

I wear a 43 in DHB and Shimano "hiking style" spd shoe which both fit great, and have some 43 Diadorras which are a bit too big. What size would people recommend? 42 or 42.5?

Also with regards to the SLs, do people find that the lack of ratchet strap makes them a bit sloppy for sprinting? Are they generally a secure fit?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Only worn mine a handful of times as summer best, but seem OK. Size wise, I normally wear a 43.5 or 44 in Diadoras (they don't all come in half sizes) and went for a 43 in the Fiziks which size up quite large.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    they do come up a little large i went for the 44.5 uk 9.5 I think and they have a bit more toe room than i'd normally go for but i need the width, so generally wear uk 10s in most shoes.

they are very bling and eventually i'll wear them on the bike :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • graeme_s-2
    I bought the same size as my specialized shoes. My Fiziks are longer than the speshes and have more room in the toe box, but as above, I needed that size for the width.

As mentioned further back in the thread, I have completely flat feet, and did get some discomfort from the high arch support in the Fiziks to start with (sole of my foot started to ache after about 20 minutes), but I seem to have adapted to that and have used them for longer training rides as well as my 20 minute commute now without discomfort.
  • I like the Fizik shoes very much, they feel snug but still nice. My only concern about the Fiziks are the velcro straps, which I investigated after reading that someones straps broke in quite a short time. My straps are also beginning to wear - exactly the place others mention as well (where the strap is doubled and touches the metal ring). Some straps seem unharmed while others are tearing up a couple of milimeters. Is there anyone else experiencing this? Maybe this is due to the different structure of the individual sailcloth straps? Maybe they will last much longer, even though they show signs of tears already (I have not ridden very much in them yet).

Just some information about the Fizik sizing:
    I got the r3 size 45 and 45.5 & R3 SL size 45 & R1 size 44.5 + 45
    I usually take size 44.5 - 45 in trainers. In shimano I use size 46 (also have older sizes 45, but I dont think they compare to newer ones), but if I could find a size 45.5 in Shimano they would probably also fit. In Bont I have a size 45 and in Diadora I have a size 44.5, 45 and 45.5.
    Conclusion: The fizik R1 44.5 is very snug and probably the best fit for me, but size 45 in both R1,R3 and R3 SL are also fine, with a little more room in the toe box (and for thicker socks for the cold up north where I live). Compared to Shimano, I would say that the size 45 fizik is very close to size 46 in Shimano. The Size 45 in Bont took me some remoulding just to get my feet into without hurting them, they would probably be close to something less than my 44.5 in fizik (maybe 44 in Fizik). In Diadora my 45.5 are too big for me, even some of my 45s feel a little big. I would say that the Diadores is bigger than the Fizik but just only - and maybe because they are wider. The fizik 45.5 are clearly too big for me with normal socks. I need to buy a thicker sole for them and use thick socks - and they will probably be nicely warm for spring. The difference between the 45 and the 45.5 seems quite big compared to the difference between the 44.5 and 45.
  • doogee
    doogee Posts: 82
    Resurrecting this thread I know but I'm wondering if anyone else is having problems with the straps on their R3's? I bought a pair at the end of last summer after seeing this thread and while they have been used in all weathers (certainly not abused) I have now noticed that both sailcloth straps on the right shoe are starting to break.

The middle strap is worse with about 2/3's of the strap now broken across it's width. I've had a look at strap and while I know that the cloth is strong (used to windsurf so fair knowledge of it) I did note that the reinforcing x-ply doesn't appear to run up the edge of the strap... So effectively every time you tighten the straps you are loading the edge of the monofilm where it has no strengthening (where it's needed most!) meaning it will just break after repeated folding/closures (monofilm is like a crisp packet, once it has a nick in it it just tears!) Maybe I'm just unlucky with the way the straps have been cut from the cloth? Not what I would expect from shoes with an RRP of £250 and even at the £59 I would expect more than 6 months use from them...
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    My R3SLs are still in the box :oops: :? - I had planned on keeping these nice and shiny until I purchased a new bike but that is on the (fairly far) back burner at the mo')
    If they are wearing far in excess of what they should do even if not broken then I'd suggest raising the issue with the seller (P-X ?)
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    doogee wrote:
    Resurrecting this thread I know but I'm wondering if anyone else is having problems with the straps on their R3's? I bought a pair at the end of last summer after seeing this thread and while they have been used in all weathers (certainly not abused) I have now noticed that both sailcloth straps on the right shoe are starting to break.

The middle strap is worse with about 2/3's of the strap now broken across it's width. I've had a look at strap and while I know that the cloth is strong (used to windsurf so fair knowledge of it) I did note that the reinforcing x-ply doesn't appear to run up the edge of the strap... So effectively every time you tighten the straps you are loading the edge of the monofilm where it has no strengthening (where it's needed most!) meaning it will just break after repeated folding/closures (monofilm is like a crisp packet, once it has a nick in it it just tears!) Maybe I'm just unlucky with the way the straps have been cut from the cloth? Not what I would expect from shoes with an RRP of £250 and even at the £59 I would expect more than 6 months use from them...

Raise it with P-X, I would expect a pair of shoes under normal use to last at least 2 years.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Btw these are back in stock and on sale both red and black / white.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.