Red Fizik R3's £59 !!

Comments

• Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    Think I may have to send mine back. I have now tried 3 sizes, and the middle of the 3 fitted on the length and width, but I have to over sinch the tabs to get it tight on the front of the foot, otherwise it just feels too loose around/above the front of the foot and toes. This results in the material on the top of the shoe creasing/rucking and makes it uncomfortable.

I assume this means I have a 'low volume' foot. The arch support and the main ratchet feel fine, especially as you can adjust the velcro on the ratchet to change the range of the strap.

Going to try putting in an extra insole tonight and see if that lifts my foot up enough.

Otherwise does anyone know which make of shoes are generally considered low volume?....I know I need to trawl round the local bike shops and try them on, but not sure I will get a chance in the near future.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    One question though - why Kangaroo leather?!

Better for jumping red lights innit :wink:
    Red shoes were made for jumping red lights...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Headhuunter
    Rolf F wrote:
    One question though - why Kangaroo leather?!

Thinnest/strongest apparently.

I took my black R1s out in the rain in the Alps. Somewhere along the way I ended up with a nasty cut/scuff on the toe of one side - maybe hit by a stone; who knows. Once home, I dug out my Woolies leather renovating kit and have now filled up the cut so it is all but invisible. Good as new. Try that with your plastic Sidis! :lol:
    Ah I see...
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    they use kangaroo leather on motorbike kit, i forget the reasons though :?
    Gone for the Black R1's myself, i'm going to have to buy proper road pedals now
    so not so much a bargain for me, possibly a speedplay setup for dual sidedness :|
  • Headhuunter
    Lefthook wrote:
    Think I may have to send mine back. I have now tried 3 sizes, and the middle of the 3 fitted on the length and width, but I have to over sinch the tabs to get it tight on the front of the foot, otherwise it just feels too loose around/above the front of the foot and toes. This results in the material on the top of the shoe creasing/rucking and makes it uncomfortable.

I assume this means I have a 'low volume' foot. The arch support and the main ratchet feel fine, especially as you can adjust the velcro on the ratchet to change the range of the strap.

Going to try putting in an extra insole tonight and see if that lifts my foot up enough.

Otherwise does anyone know which make of shoes are generally considered low volume?....I know I need to trawl round the local bike shops and try them on, but not sure I will get a chance in the near future.

Yes they're definitely quite large around the "toe box" and my 43s/size 9s are a bit longer than I need really but then your foot may swell a bit on rides anyway, I know that running trainers tend to have a large space for the toes because that part of the foot tends to swell...
  • bushu wrote:

Might be because it comes with pockets built-in?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Headhuunter
    Anyone tried Kangaroo meat? I always look forward to that when I go to Oz. It's very lean meat and of course free range/organic. Also because they eat grass and wild greenery the meat is much healthier than beef or farmed meat which is generally fed on maize meal. Apparently maize is a very unnatural thing for cows to eat and makes them fart a lot and leads to ill health meaning they have to be pumped full of antibiotics and medication to deal with tummy problems. Grass fed meat (cows, Kangaroo, whatever) has a lot more healthy omega fats in it....
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    bushu wrote:

Think it is a particularly abrasion resistant material.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Can't manage to get one last screw out of my speedplay 3 to 4 hole adapter plate on my old specialized shoes, so won't be riding home from work in my new shoes today!
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    Pulled the trigger on some 44's... (same as my measured running shoes)
    I wear a 45.5 in my Diadora's, and a 46 in Shimano's,
    intrigued to try 'em for fit now.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Mine turned up today. They're very nice though I prefer my S-Works - especially the Boa fastenings.

Size-wise I think I'm happy with a 44.5. That's what I take in the Spesh shoe and a 45 in Sidis and, IIRC, Shimano. The arch support is pretty high - it'll be interesting to see how that is on the bike.

They're certainly beautifully made (love the tricolore on the inside of the tongue) and they're stonking value. The red is a little pinker than my bike but I'm not a colour-match tart
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    Kudos to Planet X, ordered Tuesday lunch, they arrived this morning.
    Fit like an absolute glove, instep feels strange when walking...
    gonna test 'em on my lunch break!
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Cycled in wearing mine this morning (and just discovered via twitter I was spotted by a forumer "was that you in the red shoes?"). Got my cleats positioned too far to the rear, and too far sideways so the shoes rub against the cranks slightly so all felt a bit weird anyway.

They also made the muscles in the soles of my feet ache a bit, but hoping I'll get used to the shoes and that will go away.
  • andyrr wrote:
    bushu wrote:

Think it is a particularly abrasion resistant material.

Could be. That Skippy used to get into all sorts of scrapes and seemed to come through unscathed :roll:

Is it just me that has this earworm gnawing at my brain since this thread started?

I used to be disgusted
    Now I try to be amused.....
  • bushu
    memsley89 wrote:
    Did you bribe them? I ordered the R1s Tue AM an still not processed o_0
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    bushu wrote:
    memsley89 wrote:

Ah but, because shipment of my red ones was delayed a bit, PX kindly sent me some free socks and a hat, which was nice. Sometimes a little patience can pay dividends. 8)
  • bushu
    I'm never that lucky! Just been informed that its now in Yodels hands.. So doubtful of any bonus, recently forgetting haribo too from all my orders! :evil:
  • corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    If "The Mongoose" wins the 15.00 at Ffos Las at 5/1, i'm buying me some of these!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    corriebee1 wrote:
    If "The Mongoose" wins the 15.00 at Ffos Las at 5/1, i'm buying me some of these!

U/L :cry::cry:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rubertoe wrote:
    corriebee1 wrote:

U/L :cry::cry:

Perhaps you should have stuck to roulette where you only need to make a choice between red or black (like with shoes) :wink:
  • vermin wrote:
    bushu wrote:
    memsley89 wrote:

Ah but, because shipment of my red ones was delayed a bit, PX kindly sent me some free socks and a hat, which was nice. Sometimes a little patience can pay dividends. 8)
    I got the same although the gastly coloured yello beanie hat been put in the rag box !
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I got the same although the gastly coloured yello beanie hat been put in the rag box !

:lol:
  • meanredspider
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Cycled in wearing mine this morning (and just discovered via twitter I was spotted by a forumer "was that you in the red shoes?"). Got my cleats positioned too far to the rear, and too far sideways so the shoes rub against the cranks slightly so all felt a bit weird anyway.

They also made the muscles in the soles of my feet ache a bit, but hoping I'll get used to the shoes and that will go away.

Ah - well-reminded. Need to move my cleats inwards to stop the crank rubbing. Mrs MRS fell about laughing at my "gnome shoes" (colour and turned upward toes as I walked) - though she said I'd fit right in in Holland. The insoles do feel slightly odd but settled as I rode. Ratchet strap on right foot will need to be fine-tuned too but I'm pretty happy and I was certainly no slower than with my S-Works.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bockers
    bockers Posts: 146
    edited August 2013
    Got mine yesterday. Lovely shoe and lots of quality touches, such as the pocket on the tongue where you can remove or add more padding to your personal preference. The replaceable heal pad is good, but not seen where you can buy replacements yet.

I bought these as a pair of luxury commuting shoes but they seem comfier than my Lake CX236's :d

On a sizing front I normally have 46 size standard shoes .
    Northwave size 47 shoes were too low in the toe box, my big toe nails were rubbing. They caused hot foot too so went onto ebay.
    The Sidi mega 5s in size 47 are ok but wish I got 48s as they felt cramped after 30 or more miles.
    I have the wide LAKE BOA CX 236s in 47 and they are good
    However these standard fit 47 Fiziks feel perfect. Just need a long hot ride to test them fully. I do have a high instep too and they seem to cradle the foot better than other shoes.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    bockers wrote:
    Got mine yesterday. Lovely shoe and lots of quality touches, such as the pocket on the tongue where you can remove or add more padding to your personal preference. The replaceable heal pad is good, but not seen where you can buy replacements yet.

I bought these as a pair of luxury commuting shoes but they seem comfier than my Lake CX236's :d

:lol: Just because they're cheap does not detract from the quality.

At RRP these are mighty fine shoes that are very hard to beat.
  • Headhuunter
    bushu wrote:
    I'm never that lucky! Just been informed that its now in Yodels hands.. So doubtful of any bonus, recently forgetting haribo too from all my orders! :evil:

Good luck with Yodel... Notoriously awful courier company. Do PX use them for all orders? I'm surprised anything ever arrives!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ah - well-reminded. Need to move my cleats inwards to stop the crank rubbing. Mrs MRS fell about laughing at my "gnome shoes" (colour and turned upward toes as I walked) - though she said I'd fit right in in Holland. The insoles do feel slightly odd but settled as I rode. Ratchet strap on right foot will need to be fine-tuned too but I'm pretty happy and I was certainly no slower than with my S-Works.

If when you get over there, you don't buy a pair of wooden clogs and fit cleats to them I will be extremely disappointed in you! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meanredspider
    Rolf F wrote:

If when you get over there, you don't buy a pair of wooden clogs and fit cleats to them I will be extremely disappointed in you! :lol:

I might just do that..... :lol:
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Does anybody have these and a pair of the Giro Factors, and do they compare? I have a fairly high arch so think I will also buy some as the fit should work well. Also how do they size up when compared with Shimano or Giro? I'm 46.5 in both, but I'm thinking of going 46 in these as feedback suggests the are slightly bigger.
  • meanredspider
    Yup - I'd suggest at least half a size smaller.