Red Fizik R3's £59 !!

avababy24
avababy24 Posts: 162
edited December 2014 in Commuting chat

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    (see bargains thread from a few weeks ago) ;)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Seriously tempted even though I don't need any shoes at the moment. How are these for width? Currently I'm using Northwave Evo and had to go to 45 to get width, anything longer is too big! I have high instep too.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Anyone know how the sizing compares with Specialized?
  • Not sure this helps anyone but I got a pair of the R3 SLs in 44 and they're a fair bit longer than my Shimano R099s in the same size. Going to send back for 43s I think.
  • avababy24
    dhope wrote:
    (see bargains thread from a few weeks ago) ;)

Yes, aware of that thank you, just letting people know that they are back in stock and getting offered at that crazy price again.

Cheers for your input :wink:
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Might have to go for a pair of the R3 or R3SL : anyone got comments on the differences ? The SL's worth the extra £10 ?
    Also looks liek the sizing/shape is a little wierd with some commenting that they size down and otehrs that they suit certain foot-shapes and not others. I though that I was pretty universal in taking a 43 in cycling shoes (I had to ridiculously- size-up for a pair of winter Diadora boots to a 46) but I just checked my Nike carbon-soled shoes and the insole shows a 44, I 've got Carnacs that are a 43 and had Sidi's that were a very close fit in a 43 so I'd say I'd naturally pick a 43 but if narrow might need a 43.5 ?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Only £59.99 if you want to look like Dorothy from Wizard of Oz, £99.99 for silver or white.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • avababy24
    Winters coming so I'll have my overshoes on :)
  • graeme_s-2
    Just pulled the trigger on a red pair, but strongly suspect they'll end up going back :(

My feet are extremely flat, and most of the stuff I've read suggests these are unlikely to fit me properly with the high arch of the foot bed.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yes but what about the width?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • graeme_s-2
    itboffin wrote:
    Yes but what about the width?
    I'm not sure whether my feet are wide or not. They look like massive flappy things (Mrs S calls them Hobbit feet), but I've never had problems getting shoes to fit width-wise.
  • andyrr
    Pair of the R3SLs now ordered went for the 43s - might have to source a new pair over lycra overshoes to hide these from wife !
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I ordered a pair of 43.5 and a pair of 44, one of those should fit if they suit my feet. I quite like the red, will match my bike!
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    My Dorothy shoes arrived this morning - they are really rather nice. But they are too big for me and will have to go back, hopefully for a swap. Sizing comes up much bigger than Shimano and Bontrager.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    vermin wrote:
    My Dorothy shoes arrived this morning - they are really rather nice. But they are too big for me and will have to go back, hopefully for a swap. Sizing comes up much bigger than Shimano and Bontrager.

What do you size up in regular shoes vermin, are you a 9?

What size did you choose, and what are you going to go for instead?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    these would be perfect commuting shoes...

so that would leave me with:
    bonts for racing
    sworks for long rides
    ergo 2s for emergency use
    these for commuting

hmmmmm still not sure i can justify them
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Daniel B wrote:
    vermin wrote:

What do you size up in regular shoes vermin, are you a 9?

What size did you choose, and what are you going to go for instead?

Normal shoes = 44
    Shimano road shoes = 45 (= squeeze)
    Bontrager road shoes = 45
    Fizik R3s = 45 (= far too big!)

I might try a 44 or 43.5
  • denniskwok
    denniskwok Posts: 339
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Anyone know how the sizing compares with Specialized?

I take a size 6.5 in Specialized shoes, but my size 6 R3s feel bigger.
  • graeme_s-2
    denniskwok wrote:
    Thanks for the info. I've ordered the same size as my Specialized, so even more likely I'll end up having to change them. Bummer!
  • backo
    backo Posts: 167
    mine arrived today...look very well made and you can feel the quality. Not ridden with them yet but doing the ride the brad tomorrow so may test ride them then.

Im a uk size 11 for normal shoes, my shinamos are a size 47 which are admittedly slightly large.. These R3s are a 46.5 and have to say they are bang on in size..

Well chuffed and thanks to op
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Anyone got any pics whilst wearing / on the bike ? Cheers
  • andyrr
    andyrr wrote:
    Pair of the R3SLs now ordered went for the 43s - might have to source a new pair over lycra overshoes to hide these from wife !

R3SLs arrived today - not as flash as I thought they might look but that's cool for me as these are silver as opposed to the red non-SL R3s. Sizing seems to be good for me : I normally aim for a 43 in shoes although cycling shoes are not always that size, my Armstrong model Nike's are a 44 and a very close fit whilst Carnacs I've had a few pairs always of 43s and an old pair of Sidi Technos were a tiny fraction too tight fit at 43 also, main issue could be the high instep but that probably won't become clear if a significant negative until I ride in them.
  • avababy24
    Ordered a pair of the red as I've only got a budget of £250 for my birthday kitty, so think I can live with the red at that price. I'm a size 10 or 10.5 so have ordered a 44.5 and hoping they do feel that touch larger.

Nige
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've gone for a pair of 44.5 - same size as I take in S-Works. The sensible thing would have been to order 44 too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • adam0bmx0
    adam0bmx0 Posts: 263
    Graeme_S wrote:
    denniskwok wrote:
    Thanks for the info. I've ordered the same size as my Specialized, so even more likely I'll end up having to change them. Bummer!

My R3's are a 45, Spesh shoes 45, very happy with the fit, i'm a medium arched foot (according to Specialized arch height footbed thingy) and they fit great. The arch noticable, but going by Steve Hoggs blog, could be a good thing for the majority (yes it will feel intrusive to begin with, but soon disapears)

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bik ... h-support/
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • graeme_s-2
    edited August 2013
    So I have flat feet (like no instep at all) and take a 47 in spesh shoes. I bought a pair of these in a 47 to replace my old knackered work horse spec road shoes that are falling apart (I have a pair of 2012 S-Works for nice days). Just got my hands on them this morning. Quickly tried them on and stood up in them at my desk. They feel good. I have a reasonable amount of room in the toe box, so a 46 might have been ok, but I quite like having room for my toes to move about. Instep support is noticeable, but I think it's going to be ok, so inclined to keep them at the moment.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I got the R1 in black delivered yesterday.

Just as good a fit as the R3 the footbed is a better but such a lovely shoe.

Only no-no was putting white sock on with the black shoes this morning. Luckily I had a black pair of socks as they look awful with white socks!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Got my red shoes! They feel comfortable to me, although I just slipped them on in the office. They're quite narrow and the instep is definitely quite high. Very good, stiff sole. The best shoes I own - til now I've only ever spent £30-40 on cycling shoes, not that I haven't got the money I just resent paying hundreds of quid on shoes, I guess I'm a bit of a skinflint... One question though - why Kangaroo leather?!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • One question though - why Kangaroo leather?!

Better for jumping red lights innit :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    One question though - why Kangaroo leather?!

Thinnest/strongest apparently.

I took my black R1s out in the rain in the Alps. Somewhere along the way I ended up with a nasty cut/scuff on the toe of one side - maybe hit by a stone; who knows. Once home, I dug out my Woolies leather renovating kit and have now filled up the cut so it is all but invisible. Good as new. Try that with your plastic Sidis! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......