Red Fizik R3's £59 !!

Comments

• bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    bushu wrote:
    I'm never that lucky! Just been informed that its now in Yodels hands.. So doubtful of any bonus, recently forgetting haribo too from all my orders! :evil:

Good luck with Yodel... Notoriously awful courier company. Do PX use them for all orders? I'm surprised anything ever arrives!
    Finally got the R1's, 45's spot on width for me & are a bit larger then i expected but absolutely perfect
    My Shimano 44's create hot spots & cramp my feet on longer rides, due to my silly shaped feets an no chance of fitting sealskins in there too :lol: they did fit well in the shop :?
    Maybe a 44.5 would be the magic number, shame there's no stock left.. just have to wear extra socks if they start to feel loose :lol:

the high arch feels a bit odd but everything else just moulds to your feet, loverly! :D

EDIT- o an no haribo nevermind free socks :|
  • I jumped on the bargain bandwagon with some red R3s,and very nice they are.Size wise I went a half size up from normal shoes/trainers,maybe didn't need to..Anyway,before I give them 10/10 I could have a problem with them,
    on one shoe the metal plate in the sole moves about,as its only on one I guess its not normal,but could I still get a good grip on my cleats or will they just keep moving? dont want to mark the sole trying the cleats if I need to return them...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    BTW - tried my Specialized BG Red foot beds from my S-Works in the R3s and they felt more comfortable because there's not such a pronounced arch so I've ordered a set from Sigma (cheapest I could find).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    In case anybody is interested, I weighed my size 44.5 R3s against my (previous edition) S-Works (same size - same SPD-SL yellow cleats)

R3s 360g each
    S-Works 315g each
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Mike_L
    Mike_L Posts: 28
    edited August 2013
    billysmeg wrote:
    I jumped on the bargain bandwagon with some red R3s,and very nice they are.Size wise I went a half size up from normal shoes/trainers,maybe didn't need to..Anyway,before I give them 10/10 I could have a problem with them,
    on one shoe the metal plate in the sole moves about,as its only on one I guess its not normal,but could I still get a good grip on my cleats or will they just keep moving? dont want to mark the sole trying the cleats if I need to return them...

I think there is meant to be some play - about 5-10mm forward & back & that will disappear when you fit the cleats & tighten them up fully. It's there just so you can adjust the fit exactly for you.

Certainly that was the case with my own pair of R3's (arrived Saturday) & indeed all other cycling shoes I've owned.

Mike
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    So these do seem to come up large (by Italian standards). I mow have a pair of 43.5 and a pair of 44 that are too big - anyone want them? Anybody have a pair of 43 they don't want?
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    BigMat wrote:
    So these do seem to come up large (by Italian standards). I mow have a pair of 43.5 and a pair of 44 that are too big - anyone want them? Anybody have a pair of 43 they don't want?

Do you mind if I ask what size shoe/trainer you normally take, Nike for instance? I can't make my mind up on what size to go for. I'm 46.5 in Shimano/Giro, and not sure whether to drop a full size, or size and half. I want to use them in winter so will need some room for thick socks etc. Initially I was going to order 46, but after reading about the sizing I think they'll be too big. And to add to my confusion on the box of my Giro's it says 46.5 equates to 29cm, and with the Fizik's 29cm is size 45! :?
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    I think sizing is a fairly individual thing - I would normally take a 9/43 in non-cycling shoes but I do seem to vary by a size or so, eg Nike cycling shoes = 44, Aasics running shoes = 44.5 (bought in USA), Carnac cycling shoes = 43 normally. I bought R3SLs size 9/43 and they appear to fit well. I've not ridden in them as I haven't had a chance to fit cleats but the sizing feels ok with noticable but not excessive instep pressure and at present I think they'll fit really well but I'll need to fit cleats, ride on the turbo then, if that feels fine I'll go out for a longer ride with them.
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    Does anybody know what the difference is between the R3 and R3 SL?
    Thanks
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    hegyestomi wrote:
    Thanks

SL is lighter, with no ratchet
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    vermin wrote:
    hegyestomi wrote:
    Thanks

Thanks, I couldn't see that from the description.
    Anybody tried them with "slightly" wider than average foot? How do they fare in that aspect?
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    hegyestomi wrote:
    vermin wrote:
    hegyestomi wrote:
    Thanks

Thanks, I couldn't see that from the description.
    Anybody tried them with "slightly" wider than average foot? How do they fare in that aspect?

I have wider than normal feet largely on account of bunions! Especially the left. I went for the same sise(46) as the wide shimano fitting for my ro87's and its pretty much perfect. And the leather is considerably softer than the upper on the shimano and has more give...
  • indyp
    noooooo! 46 Shimano fit cannot possibly be the same as these Fizik's can they?! arghhhh!! confused!! :lol:
  • meanredspider
    indyP wrote:
    noooooo! 46 Shimano fit cannot possibly be the same as these Fizik's can they?! arghhhh!! confused!! :lol:

I don't think so. I had 45 Shimano and 44.5 Fiziks and I think the Fiziks are still a larger fit
  • indyp
    indyP wrote:

I don't think so. I had 45 Shimano and 44.5 Fiziks and I think the Fiziks are still a larger fit

Thanks MRS. Perhaps it's the width of a 46 that's equivalent. Could you have gotten away with a full size smaller than the Shimano would you say? I'm debating whether to go full or one and half size smaller than 46.5 Shimano which I have.
  • meanredspider
    That's a really difficult one IndyP. Interestingly the 44.5 on the S-Works says UK size 10 whereas the 44.5 on the Fiziks says UK 10.5. I think the Fiziks are slightly longer. I think you might get away with a full size smaller but it's a gamble.
  • avababy24
    avababy24 Posts: 162
    I'm really confused because the 44.5 eu I ordered turned up saying on the box a uk9.5 !! So I've sent them back requesting 45.5 hoping they turn up to be a uk 10.5 as I found them quite tight width wise. It also cost me £9 to return them which I'm not hp about !

Nige
  • indyp
    That's a really difficult one IndyP. Interestingly the 44.5 on the S-Works says UK size 10 whereas the 44.5 on the Fiziks says UK 10.5. I think the Fiziks are slightly longer. I think you might get away with a full size smaller but it's a gamble.

Thanks for the insight. I'll scrap one and half size smaller then and play it safe and go just the half size.
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    indyP wrote:

Err, no they cant :oops:
    Just got home and checked and in fact I have the 45 in the Fizik's. I think I spent so much time deliberatong over sising i confused myself :shock: Anyway they are same length as the r87's and a smidge narrower at their widest but wide enough for my bunions.
    Sorry for the confusion.
  • indyp
    Here's the size guide taken from the Wiggle site. It's no suprise about confusion re sizing :|

EU Shoe cm UK Shoe US Female Shoe US Male Shoe
    40 25.75cm 6.5 8.5 7.5
    40.5 26cm 7 9 8
    41 26.25cm 7.5 9 8
    41.5 26.5cm 7.5 9.5 8.5
    42 27cm 8 10 9
    42.5 27.25cm 8.5 10.5 9.5
    43 27.75cm 9 11 10
    43.5 28cm 9 11 10
    44 28.25cm 9.5 11.5 10.5
    44.5 28.75cm 10 12 11
    45 29cm 10.5 12.5 11.5
    45.5 29.25cm 11 13 12
    46 29.75cm 11.5 13 12
    46.5 30cm 11.5 13.5 12.5
    47 30.25cm 12 14 13
    48 31cm 12.5 14.5 13.5
  • avababy24
    Fizik box says 44.5=uk 9.5
  • meanredspider
    avababy24 wrote:

Funny - it does. And the label on the tongue says UK 10.5!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    avababy24 wrote:

Funny - it does. And the label on the tongue says UK 10.5!
    I'm a size 9 and I bought 43s which seem a bit long but not too bad so 44.5as a 9.5 sounds wrong
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    So, why is it that these shoes are going cheap, I wonder? :? :lol:
  • meanredspider
    vermin wrote:

Believe me, at £250 a pair, I'm sure someone could have been persuaded to put a new sticker on the box :wink:
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    vermin wrote:

Because Fizik had a mass of old stock and needed to shift them.

I have heard how cheap retailers got these for and they are making a nice profit still!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    vermin wrote:

Because Fizik had a mass of old stock and needed to shift them.

I have heard how cheap retailers got these for and they are making a nice profit still!

They probably realised that if they had the new designs and the old designs on the shelf at the same time, it would be the new ones that would be gathering dust.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I am waiting for the white ones to go down to £60. There are lots available which indicates that they are not shifting them at "full price" ;)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • ads2k
    ads2k Posts: 135
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I am waiting for the white ones to go down to £60. There are lots available which indicates that they are not shifting them at "full price" ;)

If that happens then I'll have some to go with the red and can wear different colours on each foot :mrgreen:

Strange because I ordered a 45 as that's what my Giros' and Bontrager' are and they seem fine :!:
  • avababy24
    So if I order a 45 what UK size will it say on the side of the box ? Ta