Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    This is the GC as it is right now on the road:

1. GBR FROOME Christopher 1 SKY PROCYCLING 49h 40' 50''
    2.(+1) NED MOLLEMA Bauke 164 BELKIN PRO CYCLING 49h 44' 27'' + 03' 37''
    3.(+1) ESP CONTADOR Alberto 91 TEAM SAXO-TINKOFF 49h 44' 44'' + 03' 54''
    4.(+1) CZE KREUZIGER Roman 94 TEAM SAXO-TINKOFF 49h 44' 47'' + 03' 57''
    5.(+1) NED TEN DAM Laurens 167 BELKIN PRO CYCLING 49h 45' 00'' + 04' 10''
    6.(-4) ESP VALVERDE Alejandro 121 MOVISTAR TEAM 49h 45' 34'' + 04' 44''

Oh dear Valverde. No wonder Belkin is hammering this. Not only have they moved Mollema up into second but Ten Dam has jumped Valverde too.

where did you get that?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Movistar preparing brown envelopes for the teams in the second group to get them to help them out?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

No point working when you don't have to either. Belkin and OPQS have a reason to work, Sky don't need any more time on Valverde
    Well I'm sure they'd prefer a 5 min GC gap to Valverde, but as long as OPQS and Belkin are doing the work for them they can just concentrate on getting a free ride.

Given what's coming up for Sky in terms of defending the jersey with a weakened team, if there are other teams willing to take it up when you've already put over 3 minutes on a guy, I wouldn't bother either.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Is Valverde really such a threat to the GC? I mean with a week of climbing coming up can he really threaten Froome?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Lichtblick wrote:
    This is the GC as it is right now on the road:

1. GBR FROOME Christopher 1 SKY PROCYCLING 49h 40' 50''
    2.(+1) NED MOLLEMA Bauke 164 BELKIN PRO CYCLING 49h 44' 27'' + 03' 37''
    3.(+1) ESP CONTADOR Alberto 91 TEAM SAXO-TINKOFF 49h 44' 44'' + 03' 54''
    4.(+1) CZE KREUZIGER Roman 94 TEAM SAXO-TINKOFF 49h 44' 47'' + 03' 57''
    5.(+1) NED TEN DAM Laurens 167 BELKIN PRO CYCLING 49h 45' 00'' + 04' 10''
    6.(-4) ESP VALVERDE Alejandro 121 MOVISTAR TEAM 49h 45' 34'' + 04' 44''

Oh dear Valverde. No wonder Belkin is hammering this. Not only have they moved Mollema up into second but Ten Dam has jumped Valverde too.

where did you get that?

http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2013/us/classifications.html
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    quintana dropped back FFS

movistar your boat load of fail has been delivered...somebody knock up a macro or somefink...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    I know Valverde isn't everyones favourite rider, but seems a shame to watch a riders hopes disappear cause of a puncture. Saying that why did mess about changing the back wheel - why not use another riders bike (or do rules forbid this - sure I have see it happen in other races), I know it isnt set up for him but wld have saved a heap of time.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    What are the red and white pylons please?

Assuming some sort of cold war listening station.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Did Phil Liggett just refer to 'Tyler Ten Dam?'
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Greip takes intermediate, again no one really trying hard....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mr_poll
    intermediate:

1 griepel
    2 cav
    3 sagan
  • disgruntledgoat
    goonz wrote:
    Is Valverde really such a threat to the GC? I mean with a week of climbing coming up can he really threaten Froome?

I don't think he can. I think he'll lose more in the mountains and the TT next week than he will today.

Assuming today doesn't go absolutely daft.

As to dropping Quintana back, that's just stupid. You've boned your only alternative GC strategy.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • alan_a

movistar your boat load of fail has been delivered...somebody knock up a macro or somefink...

Disagree. Where did you get this info?

I thought he was the only one who stayed in the peleton.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    goonz wrote:

No, but now Movistar have even less incentive to animate the racing in the Alps... which is bad news for us.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    edited July 2013

Did he??? Thought he was still in the front group!
  • mididoctors

No point working when you don't have to either. Belkin and OPQS have a reason to work, Sky don't need any more time on Valverde
    Well I'm sure they'd prefer a 5 min GC gap to Valverde, but as long as OPQS and Belkin are doing the work for them they can just concentrate on getting a free ride.

Given what's coming up for Sky in terms of defending the jersey with a weakened team, if there are other teams willing to take it up when you've already put over 3 minutes on a guy, I wouldn't bother either.

+1 its about the podium for now
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ddraver
    Alan A wrote:

Nah, French just like their pylons colourful...
    - @ddraver
  • disgruntledgoat
    mr_poll wrote:
    I know Valverde isn't everyones favourite rider, but seems a shame to watch a riders hopes disappear cause of a puncture. Saying that why did mess about changing the back wheel - why not use another riders bike (or do rules forbid this - sure I have see it happen in other races), I know it isnt set up for him but wld have saved a heap of time.

No rule against using a teammates bike, but he'd still not get back on so he might as well wait.

@gietvangent
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Alan A wrote:

France's version of Daventry?
  • Lichtblick
    where's kittel?
  • mididoctors
    adr82 wrote:

Did he??? Thought he was still in the front group!

what I heard on euro...I stand corrected if its BS
  • adr82
    Lichtblick wrote:
    where's kittel?
    ... in the 2nd group! "Gr. Kittel"??
  • mr_poll
    afx237vi wrote:
    goonz wrote:

No, but now Movistar have even less incentive to animate the racing in the Alps... which is bad news for us.

Agree - unless something happens they are riding for the podium - Valverde might have been in for a shout for that.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    edited July 2013
    Brian Smith has made a great point: If this continues, the guys in the front group wont have any new biddons for 70km!
    EDIT: ok the cars are there now
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Lichtblick
    re: earlier post, quintana stayed in the front group
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Just got back in from a French version of Alton Towers here in Normandy, what happened to Valverde?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,399
    Is Cav in an aero helmet? Looked to be a pointy bit at the back on the sprint?
  • alan_a
    emadden wrote:
    Brian Smith has made a great point: If this continues, the guys in the front group wont have any new biddons for 70km!

The cars have been allowed up to the front group. Happened about 10-15 mins ago.
  • ddraver
    mr_poll wrote:

No rule against using a teammates bike, but he'd still not get back on so he might as well wait.

I know 2 wrongs and all that but Movistar have consistently done this to other teams so have very few friends in this instance. Gives lie to the claim that Sky have few friends too when things go wrong for them...

I mean I don't like him but I really don't sympathise
    - @ddraver
  • adr82
    Just got back in from a French version of Alton Towers here in Normandy, what happened to Valverde?
    Puncture or some other sort of mechanical