Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    117.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    BigMat wrote:
    Love it when Cav gets to properly race, instead of being just a protected sprinter. He's a better racer than people give him credit for. Great stage that.

Sky are stretched to breaking point - nothing tactical about their inability to hold on today.

I agree however did Cav do any work? I watched about 70% of the move and didn`t see him on the front once. I didn`t catch the start of the move though.

He also only beat Sagan in the sprint so it isn`t particularly something he should be pumped to the rafters about.

Must be a ton of adrenaline running through those boys veins though!

I think that's a bit unfair. He was one of only 14 riders who made it into that front group which is pretty damn impressive in its own right. Plus his teammates wouldnt expect him to get on the front.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Alan A wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    Froome made a fatal mistake – When Saxo accelerated he had the opportunity to jump across to Cav's wheel and get pulled to Contador's group, but he hesitated and spoke on his radio to the team car. In a few seconds he gave away over a minute of his lead.
    I noticed this too and took a screenshot (my TV is a USB thingy). The moment:

mc7a.jpg

Of course Froome might have been pretty cooked at that very moment and utterly unable to react. Regardless, the gamble paid off in a big way for Saxo-Tinkoff.
    Can you rewind it a bit and see where Froome was maybe 10-15s earlier, just as Saxo began pulling a line of riders out? When I watched the replay it seemed like Froome was on someones wheel in that line, then the view got blocked by the people at the front, and when he reappeared there was clear road in front of him. So I couldn't tell if he lost the wheel himself or it was someone in front of him.

Froome was on Cav's wheel.

Cav shouted at Kwia telling him to get out the way and Cav sprinted onto the back of the Saxo group.

Froome lost Cav's wheel and the rest is 1m06secs

Can't blame him for losing Cav's wheel as he was sprinting to make the gap!

He was arguably in the right place as well on the back of the OPQS train.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    BigMat wrote:
    Love it when Cav gets to properly race, instead of being just a protected sprinter. He's a better racer than people give him credit for. Great stage that.

Sky are stretched to breaking point - nothing tactical about their inability to hold on today.

I agree however did Cav do any work? I watched about 70% of the move and didn`t see him on the front once. I didn`t catch the start of the move though.

He also only beat Sagan in the sprint so it isn`t particularly something he should be pumped to the rafters about.

Team game isn't it, and he has got that warm rosy feeling that his team has had a fantastic day. It doesn't matter if he didn't contribute as much, he is very proud of his team.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    At least Quintana know doesnt have to work for Valverde! :D

saxo and movistar cancel each other out if movistar ride for valverde

quintana can't be covered as easily thus this opens the race up
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Surely the second Saxxo hit the front Froome should've been glued to the wheel of Contador and been surrounded by team mates. Sky are one of the worst teams defending a jersey that I can remember in quite some time. People can say what they want about Froome's "dodgy" climb last weekend, but if they think the whole squad is dirty it certainly isn't doing anything to back up that claim.

Great stage. Wonderful positioning by both Cav and Sagan to make the split. These are the stages that show you which riders have the tactical ability and which riders spend too much time listening to orders from the DS in their earpiece.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Cav is really dark and light, isn't he? Big grinning kid today........

I'm glad for him, I really am.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    hammerite wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Can anyone make up 2m45seconds to the yellow?

Is that actually possible?

Froome will take more time in the MTT and surely all he has to do is shadow Contador in the mountains, he shouldn't be worrying about anyone else now.

After working as allies today we might see Mollema and Contador end up marking each other and not actually attacking Froome. Hope not.

Froome will attack in the mountains and loose more time on stages like today, and like stage 9.

There are no more stages like todays!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Just got in, flat stage won by Cav? Sounds very dull...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Walter White
    Walter White Posts: 238
    Haven't seen Cav that happy for a while.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Froome can feel that jersey slipping off his shoulders. needs a result on the ventoux and TT?
    If you'd offered Froome a two and a half minute at this stage two weeks ago he'd have bitten your hand off. He really just needs to focus on Contador now.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Walter White
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Just got in, flat stage won by Cav? Sounds very dull...

Yep, standard :wink:
  • mididoctors
    BigMat wrote:

cav worked hard to stay where he was

his post endorphine rush... extended effort high
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • frenchfighter
    121.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2013
    RichN95 wrote:
    Froome can feel that jersey slipping off his shoulders. needs a result on the ventoux and TT?
    If you'd offered Froome a two and a half minute at this stage two weeks ago he'd have bitten your hand off. He really just needs to focus on Contador now.

its the direction though

what if RK goes down the road...its a decent time gap but its not massive.

I think he will win by virtue of the TT but its not a given. look rattled to me
  • Walter White
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Cav is really dark and light, isn't he? Big grinning kid today........

I'm glad for him, I really am.

Thats what i like about him, shows his emotions good or bad, makes a nice change from all these media trained robots.
  • cyclingsheep
    cyclingsheep Posts: 640
    Just a question and one that has been put forward before but is today's time loss an example of Sky really missing Sean Yates' nouce?
  • Paulie W
    Just a question and one that has been put forward before but is today's time loss an example of Sky really missing Sean Yates' nouce?

I personally think they're missing Mick Rogers more.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    That top 8 still screams fight for 2nd/3rd, what with the TT next week. I reckon contadors biggest challenge is the mollema/ten dam possibility. Super days racing.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Crimmey
    Crimmey Posts: 207
    Am I the only one thinking that was the perfect result for Frome and sky? The rearranging of gc. The only guy capable of beating Froome is over 5mins behind and the others will protect their position, not go for yellow.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Paulie W wrote:

I personally think they're missing Mick Rogers more.

Missing two riders from the team can't help either.
  • frenchfighter

He sure isn`t sitting pretty. I wonder if he will blow mentally with a weak team and some proper racers coming at him old school.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Brilliant race reading by Cav not the first team he has the nous to get into a small break and finish it off.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Paulie W
    Crimmey wrote:
    Am I the only one thinking that was the perfect result for Frome and sky? The rearranging of gc. The only guy capable of beating Froome is over 5mins behind and the others will protect their position, not go for yellow.

Yes, I think you might be the only one. Contador isnt going to be protecting anything and today has put him closer to Froome.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328

He sure isn`t sitting pretty. I wonder if he will blow mentally with a weak team and some proper racers coming at him old school.

He does still have a 2 min + lead so to say he isn't sitting pretty is way off the mark.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Paulie W

There's nothing to suggest he is mentally weak - the stage on sunday in fact suggests the opposite. He and his team lost concentration and didnt have the strength to bring it back. Happens to the best of them e.g. Stage 3 2009.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    edited July 2013
    Moray Gub wrote:

He does still have a 2 min + lead so to say he isn't sitting pretty is way off the mark.

and after today's efforts I reckon one of Mollema, Contador, Ten Dam and Kreuziger will blow in the mountains before Froome does.

I think what those 4 need are a team like Garmin/Movistar to come along and blow it apart early in a stage in a desperate attempt to get time back or a stage win. If the former you'll probably see those above starting to get a bit protective of their own positions though.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

its the direction though

what if RK goes down the road...its a decent time gap but its not massive.

I think he will win by virtue of the TT but its not a given. look rattled to me
    Kreuziger will lose two minutes to him on Ventoux and more later on. If he goes up the road, let him go -he'll just wear himself out..
    Froome himself doesn't look too troubled and on the final MTFs it's going to come down to individuals not teams.

Tomorrow is probably his most risky day. Team or no team, he needs to stick with Contador.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tigerben
    tigerben Posts: 233
    Paulie W wrote:

There's nothing to suggest he is mentally weak - the stage on sunday in fact suggests the opposite. He and his team lost concentration and didnt have the strength to bring it back. Happens to the best of them e.g. Stage 3 2009.

How about tactically weak instead? He should have followed his instinct and gone with the Saxo break rather than hitting the radio and missing the chance. Lack of experience perhaps causing fatal hesitation?
  • Paulie W
    tigerben wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:

How about tactically weak instead? He should have followed his instinct and gone with the Saxo break rather than hitting the radio and missing the chance. Lack of experience perhaps causing fatal hesitation?

Maybe but one mistake doesnt make you "tactically weak" - it means you made a mistake.