The Tour - stage 13 *spoiler*

Comments

• Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Can anyone make up 2m45seconds to the yellow?

Is that actually possible?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    ddraver wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    GRRRR Eurosport... let's cut away from the atmosphere of that epic stage and go and sit in a boring studio with James Richardson.

Do They? I get that Mikey bloke and a load of Euro interviews....

So....#SaxoPostal anyone? *hides*

You need to create a dedicated thread before you start accusing anyone of anything :wink:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Excellent sprint by Cav, but Sagan did not think that one out very well.

I guess we will see about Sky the next few days.

I think he knew he couldnt win tbh...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Awesome awesome awesome day of racing.

Will be interesting to see whats left in the tank for Saxo and others after that though...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Lichtblick wrote:

... of course! One bad day in the mountains is all it takes. Or just look at the amount of time you can lose if you're unlucky/not paying attention on the flat like today!
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Lichtblick wrote:

If Contador's form improves (which is looking likely) and Froome's drops, then yes, easily.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Bauka Mollema is now my reason to be officially excited about this Tour.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited July 2013
    Froome made a fatal mistake – When Saxo accelerated he had the opportunity to jump across to Cav's wheel and get pulled to Contador's group, but he hesitated and spoke on his radio to the team car. In five seconds he gave away over a minute of his lead.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    Just seen the replay of the split caused by Saxo. Froome bolted solo to close the gap, almost did, looked behind him, went on the radio and then all hope was gone.
  • adr82
    edited July 2013
    Mick Rogers responsible for the Saxo break again, just like with HTC in 2009 :)

Edit: yeah Froome made the wrong split-second decision there
  • andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    105.jpg
    99.jpg
    95.jpg

Really cool photo's giving a sense of what was happening out there
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    When Cav thanks his team today he really means it. Wow they did a turn for him.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Michael Rodgers is such a great captain... Dave B must be kicking himself.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Valverde fated to never win the Tour.

103.jpg

... but fated to steal a Vuelta ... so even ...

Only shame is that Movistar only have one card to play now which cuts down on the variables on Sunday ...

He's never looked a Tour winner, ever.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    I wonder if Sky just thought to cut their losses as they see CF picking some of this back up in the next TT ?
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    okee doke, but we all know that Froome can climb mountains AND time trial..........
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    ddraver wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Excellent sprint by Cav, but Sagan did not think that one out very well.

I guess we will see about Sky the next few days.

I think he knew he couldnt win tbh...

Sagan doen't have the straight line speed of the others...although him hesitating didnt help.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Lichtblick wrote:

If Sky collapse and Froome blows up, then easily
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    jonomc4 wrote:
    jonomc4 wrote:
    jonomc4 wrote:
    I think Cav will get this - it is his last chance of a stage win until Paris - he needs it too much physiologically to let it slip.

And I thank you :) - without that win I would not have given him a chance in Paris.

BTW - I believe it is not as dire for Sky as that time suggests - I think they are looking to put more effort into the mountain stages.

You don't lose time if you can help it.

Whilst I agree with you - I think they are aiming to make time in the mountains - I only say this because I think they are saving Porte for those stages - just a hunch- guess we will find out over the next 4 days

The point is that they dont need to make time - they just need to avoid losing it. This is a bad day for Sky and for Froome any way you spin it.
  • adr82
    dsoutar wrote:
    I wonder if Sky just thought to cut their losses as they see CF picking some of this back up in the next TT ?
    None of them lasted very long on the front before getting dropped, I think they were just incapable of doing much work
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Loved the shot of Saxo as they looked around realising that they'd managed to dump Froome. Not sure if they all broke out in to smiles or whether they were grimacing from the effort.
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    GRRRR Eurosport... let's cut away from the atmosphere of that epic stage and go and sit in a boring studio with James Richardson.

Do They? I get that Mikey bloke and a load of Euro interviews....

So....#SaxoPostal anyone? *hides*

You need to create a dedicated thread before you start accusing anyone of anything :wink:

Would I?! viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12931665 :wink:
    - @ddraver
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Loved the guy taking pics of Valverde changing his tire. It just cracked me up as usually a fan will offer help or back up, he just stood there clicking away.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Lichtblick wrote:

They took 1 min today on the 'flat'. Tomorrow is lumpy and in windier terrain. Highly doable given how collapsible yellow jersey team is.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Froome made a fatal mistake – When Saxo accelerated he had the opportunity to jump across to Cav's wheel and get pulled to Contador's group, but he hesitated and spoke on his radio to the team car. In a few seconds he gave away over a minute of his lead.

They are really missing Yates... no-one in the car seems to have a clue
  • adr82
    Valverde lost 9:54 in the end
  • Walter White
    Walter White Posts: 238
    Lichtblick wrote:

Froome will take more time in the MTT and surely all he has to do is shadow Contador in the mountains, he shouldn't be worrying about anyone else now.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    On the rate the Tour thread I gave a 7 this morning. Good first week, dull second week. I think that one stage has just elevated it to a 9.5!
  • ddraver
    bipedal wrote:
    Froome made a fatal mistake – When Saxo accelerated he had the opportunity to jump across to Cav's wheel and get pulled to Contador's group, but he hesitated and spoke on his radio to the team car. In a few seconds he gave away over a minute of his lead.

They are really missing Yates... no-one in the car seems to have a clue

Stannard saying they lost concentration for a second, Froome got trapped just at the wrong moment...didnt see it so not sure how realistic it was
    - @ddraver
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Wonder if Sky will be having a word with a few teams - why were AG2R working in the chase group there? Just for Peraud?