TDF 2013 Stage 11 TT ***Spoilers***

Comments

• dang100
    dang100 Posts: 44
    David Millar in 39' 03'' at 2' 34''
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Cav's after race interview should be good today, lets hope he cools off a bit before speaking to the cameras :D:D
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    ddraver wrote:
    Do any of the expats have a un protected link to the cricket? Radio preferred..?

Try Test Match Sofa

http://www.thecricketer.com/TheAshes.aspx
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    Is this the Ashes thread ? :lol:
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    94for2
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    edited July 2013
    Squaggles wrote:
    Is this the Ashes thread ? :lol:

It's a TT - may as well be until the last 10 mins ;). Man just found the stream in time for Lunch :roll:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    94for2

Lunch
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    dish_dash wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    Downhill and wind assisted.

I'll stick my head above the parapet now, I sadly don't think Tony M's time is fast enough to win. The wind will pick up again this afternoon and the later riders will get a good push towards the Mont.

A good indicator will be Millar's time.

Froome for the win.

Wind from which direction? Why would the breeze pick up going out to sea in the afternoon?

Looking at the position of the high pressure system over Western Europe, what wind there is looks like it would be from an easterly direction. How that relates to the course I'm not sure.

From my limited knowledge of geography / meteorology I'd say the opposite would be more likely - at this time of year the land mass is still (just) warmer than the sea so the air rises quicker over land. Mother Nature abhors a vacuum so the cooler air moves in off the sea to replace the rising warm air so you get an onshore breeze.

But I may be completely wrong...
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    94for2

Lunch

98 for 2
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    natrix wrote:
    Cav's after race interview should be good today, lets hope he cools off a bit before speaking to the cameras :D:D

And washes....
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    edited July 2013
    ATC’s Mont Saint-Michel Guide

330px-MtStMichel_avion_zps6ff81e20.jpg

So a TT today finishing at France’s third most visited tourist attraction after the architectural edifices to male ego that are the Eiffel Tower and the Versailles.

montsaintmichel2_zps9bdd84dd.jpg

Long a site of defensive fortifications, the island has been the site of a monastery since the 8th Century from which we get the name Mont Saint-Michel. Understandably a UNESCO World Heritage site the Mont attracts 3 million visitors a year. It was previously connected to the mainland via a tidal causeway, while the coastal flats have been turned into polders to create pastures for cows (yay) therefore altering the distance between the shore and the south coast of Mont Saint-Michel (pseudo-scientists takes note) has decreased. In 1879, the tidal causeway was converted into a raised or dry causeway. A €164 million project in 2005 saw the building of a hydraulic dam to help remove the accumulated silt deposited by the rising tides, making Mont Saint-Michel an island again. Construction staretd in 2009 and is projected to be completed by 2015. The project also included the removal of the causeway and its visitor car-park which caused a bit of local controversy as coaches have to park on the mainland and visitors have to be shuttled to the Mont.

220px-Mont-Saint-Michel_-_Novembre_2011_24_zps79e78da3.jpg
    During the French Revolution the abbey was closed and turned into a prison initially to hold clerical opponents of the republican regime. Later high-profile political prisoners followed, but by 1836, influential figures—including Victor Hugo—had launched a campaign to restore what was seen as a national architectural treasure.

As of 2009 Mont Saint-Michel had a population of 44. And I do not know what the Eternal Garden that Carlton was twattling on about yesterday is. I think he was confusing it with the Cloister Garden pictured below.

mont_saint_michel_384x_zpsc640711b.jpg

And we have 7 pages already for a TT. Wowzers! :shock:

Postscript - This post is a bit crap compared to ddraver's geology PhD thesis on page 1. Apologies. I shall have to lift my game. I'm aiming for a negative split.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • goonz

And barely any arguments!!!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    94for2

Lunch

98 for 2
    Two Africans in for England. They must be desperate. You won't get British Cycling stooping so low.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • disgruntledgoat
    goonz wrote:

I'm not sure FF is actually seeing anybody elses posts at the moment. I got an arsey PM off him yesterday in regards to an innocent quip.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    RichN95 wrote:
    For whoever said Martins time wasn't fast enough to win
    Has anyone said that?

Yes. Alan A - unless I read it wrong
  • goonz
    RichN95 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    94for2

Lunch

98 for 2
    Two Africans in for England. They must be desperate. You won't get British Cycling stooping so low.

:lol:
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,582
    dish_dash wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    Downhill and wind assisted.

I'll stick my head above the parapet now, I sadly don't think Tony M's time is fast enough to win. The wind will pick up again this afternoon and the later riders will get a good push towards the Mont.

A good indicator will be Millar's time.

Froome for the win.

Wind from which direction? Why would the breeze pick up going out to sea in the afternoon?

Looking at the position of the high pressure system over Western Europe, what wind there is looks like it would be from an easterly direction. How that relates to the course I'm not sure.

From my limited knowledge of geography / meteorology I'd say the opposite would be more likely - at this time of year the land mass is still (just) warmer than the sea so the air rises quicker over land. Mother Nature abhors a vacuum so the cooler air moves in off the sea to replace the rising warm air so you get an onshore breeze.

But I may be completely wrong...

Course is downhill and predominantly from East to West, so the last 1/2 is tail wind.

The inshore forecast I heard earlier today was that the wind would be increasing.

Obviously Martin's time is fast, very fast, but comparing it to historical TdF TTs he was assisted by the slope and the wind.
  • above_the_cows
    goonz wrote:

There's still plenty of time for that :D:wink:

For what its worth I'm putting money on it being EBH who chews tobacco. He's Scandi and he just has the look and manner of a man who would do such a thing.

What an amazing route plan that maximises the backdrop of Mont Saint-Michel.
  • disgruntledgoat
    letour.fr reckons the wind is increasing and will favour later starters.

@gietvangent
  • disgruntledgoat
    goonz wrote:

For what its worth I'm putting money on it being EBH who chews tobacco. He's Scandi and he just has the look and manner of a man who would do such a thing.

And the look of a man who could stand to shift a few pounds

@gietvangent
  • above_the_cows
    goonz wrote:

Well I didn't want to say... :wink:
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986

Couldn't we all? :cry:
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    edited July 2013
    ITV4 showing yesterday's hi-lights still.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Cadel Evans ‏@CadelOfficial 24m
    High speed ITT today, fast roads & favourable winds mean high average speeds. Will the increasing win favour late starters for once?
    I start at 1609... Following compatriot and TT honch Mick Rogers... T Martin has set a high standard. #tdf
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat

Speak for yourself chubby, I'm sitting at a svelte 69kg.

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter

The racing did start several hours ago. 7 probably isnt too much considering the lengths other threads have gone on uselsss banter!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    We know you love the cricket really FF
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • frenchfighter
    1.MARTIN T. OPQ in 36' 29''
    2.DE GENDT T. VCD in 37' 30'' at 1' 01''
    3.TUFT S. OGE in 38' 04'' at 1' 35''
    4.ROY J. FDJ in 38' 12'' at 1' 43''
    5.CASTROVIEJ... J. MOV in 38' 21'' at 1' 52''
    6.BAK L. LTB in 38' 44'' at 2' 15''

No change other than Castro
    Contador is the Greatest
  • goonz

64kgs here, and now fasting for a month so lets assume 60kgs by the end of the month.
  • disgruntledgoat
    goonz wrote:

64kgs here, and now fasting for a month so lets assume 60kgs by the end of the month.

I feel irrationally threatened... How tall?

@gietvangent