TDF 2013 Stage 11 TT ***Spoilers***

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
edited February 2014 in Pro race
Early kickoff to highlight this article

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/para-cy ... time-trial

Never heard of a guest rider on a stage before.

Profile for those into that sort of thing.

PROFIL.png

Geology survey to follow.
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Julien Prétot ‏@julienpretotRTR
    Race jury says Cavendish not at fault in sprint incident #tdf

Guess that's that then, think he's a lucky boy...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tigerben
    tigerben Posts: 233
    Has anybody got any cunning tips or advice for viewing tomorrows TT please? I will be dragging wife and child with me so unfortunately going early and staying all day is likely to be out of the question. Will crowds be lighter earlier as the tailenders get underway or will it be busy all day? Ideally would head to mt st Michael but I assume that will be busiest. Are we better of heading to one of the intermediate timing points - will there be big screens with info there? Any advice greatly appreciated as have not been to TT stage before. Will be travelling from cancale after today's stage so not far to go although will be going by car so wary of traffic.

Cheers and apologies if this is the wrong thread....
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    In the 2009 Tour of Austria, Christiane Soeder was guest rider at the 26 km TT stage. Soeder was a top female rider at the time, having finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the GC of the the women's Tour of France in different years between 2005 and 2009. In 2008 she was 4th in the World's RR and 2nd in the World's TT.

111 male riders were still in the Tour of Austria at the time and the top 5 of the TT turned out to be:

1. Koos Moerenhout (NED) 31:36
    2. Svein Tuft (CAN) +0:02
    3. Laszla Podrogi (FRA) +0:15
    4. Ian Stannard (GBR) +0:21
    5. Michael Albasini (SUI) +0:37

Soeder’s time was +2:44, which would have placed her 63th had she been a man. Those she beat included Ben Swift, Benat Intxausti, and Robert Kiserlovski
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Can anyone see past Tony Martin?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Joelsim wrote:

One or two PTPers have gone against the tide....but I think they're only being contrary :wink:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    tigerben wrote:
    Has anybody got any cunning tips or advice for viewing tomorrows TT please? I will be dragging wife and child with me so unfortunately going early and staying all day is likely to be out of the question. Will crowds be lighter earlier as the tailenders get underway or will it be busy all day? Ideally would head to mt st Michael but I assume that will be busiest. Are we better of heading to one of the intermediate timing points - will there be big screens with info there? Any advice greatly appreciated as have not been to TT stage before. Will be travelling from cancale after today's stage so not far to go although will be going by car so wary of traffic.

Not sure I have any cunning tips. But crowds will be biggest at the start and finish and will be about the same size all day. Doubt there will be any screens at the intermediate timing points, last time I saw a TT at one all they had was the time splits at that point. I would suggest finding a nice quiet spot on the course, which generally isn't that difficult to do, take a picnic and chill out for the day (or as long as the Mrs will allow).
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Joelsim wrote:

One or two PTPers have gone against the tide....but I think they're only being contrary :wink:

Gesink ha ha ha
  • ddraver
    I confess I was going to point you all in the direction of Stage 9 for today, but I did a bit of looking into things and there's actually some interesting stuff here!

Obviously there are very strong similarities between Mont St Michel and St Michaels Mount in Cornwall. Both are isolated granite and metamorphic masses that were emplaced into Devonian age rocks. Over geological time these were then uplifted and the surrounding rocks eroded. The same process created most of Brittany, The Moors and Tors of Southern England and a few headlands around Cornwall. Essentially they are a coastal equivalent of Glastonbury Tor (with similar religious significance

What I found particularly interesting is, looking at St Michaels Mount in Cornwall, early texts (9th Centuary) suggest that the mount was actually surrounded by land and some considerable distance (10km) from the coast line. Remains of a Hazel Wood can be seen at the lowet tides surrounding St Michaels Mount but were dated to 1700BC. Without access to papers I can't find out more but in the current climate of Anthropogenic Global Warming and subsequent Sea Level Rise I though this was interesting

The islands themselves are known as tombolos which are islands joined to the land with a spit of sand which is covered at high tide. Bigbury in S Devon is another example

1475914_0bbf6037.jpg

Surrounding both islands are large tidal flats. Essentially this coasta system runs from Cap Frehal, around the Nothern Coast of Mainland Europe into the Baltic Sea. The other Dutchies and I would feel very much at home here. In fact they have even cultivated the tidal flats for agriculture by building a series of Dykes and polders.

Tidal Flats (and for the first time this is coming from my own head - I ve done a lot of work on these recently) are large and wide areas of sand, mud or mixed sediments that are commonly deposited in areas with large tidal ranges (Bay St Michel has a range of 14m, which is very high indeed). However what is important is that the tidal range is big enough to out do any influences from wave or river processes.Obviously they are commonplace in Estuaries but may also form on coastal areas

330px-MtStMichel_avion.jpg

They commonly comprise cm-scale alternating sand and mud beds. The sand beds are deposited during periods of high tidal flow and the muds during periods of quiessence. Commonly these beds are rippled

07.jpg

The absolute classic geological feature which is as close to diagnostic as anything in geology is is bidirectional or herringbone cross lamination. One ripple, pointing one way, is deposited during the tidal flood (water rising) and one in the other direction is deposited on top during the ebb (water falling)

These sediments are commonly then disturbed by animal burrows and traces (ichnofossils) which are then preserved in the rock. Some of these can be seen in the pic below (these will become Rosselia or Phycosiphon Burrows IMO)

StormXstrat.jpg

TIdal Flats are often cross cut by Tidal Channels. These are flooded by the rising tide rather than sourced from fluvial/rivers. These are commonly sand rich and look similar to fluvial/river channels.

Think that's enough for today

Dep-67.jpeg
    - @ddraver
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Wow, that finish tomorrow looks amazing. Once in a lifetime photos. I didn`t realise they went straight up to Mont St Michel.
    But not, unfortunately, all the way up through the streets of the Mont itself, which would have been a bit like a finish at Briançon.

Screenshot2013-07-10at024309_zps6e2d1063.png~original
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    I hope they got the tide times right !

That would perk up the excitement levels of a TT
  • tigerben
    tigerben Posts: 233
    tigerben wrote:

Not sure I have any cunning tips. But crowds will be biggest at the start and finish and will be about the same size all day. Doubt there will be any screens at the intermediate timing points, last time I saw a TT at one all they had was the time splits at that point. I would suggest finding a nice quiet spot on the course, which generally isn't that difficult to do, take a picnic and chill out for the day (or as long as the Mrs will allow).

Thanks for the reply - sounds like a plan. Will head up there shortly.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    ddraver wrote:
    Some Stuff About Rocks

Genuinely the most interesting post i've read on here in a long time. :!:
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Mods, can we have a sub-forum for discussion on the Geography and Geology of races? Genuine question.
  • ddraver
    You re putting a bit of pressure on me there LL....

I thought about making them into Blog posts but then I'd actually have to make them...you know...good!
    - @ddraver
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    Froome will put a further 2 mins into his rivals today...race over
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    ddraver wrote:
    You re putting a bit of pressure on me there LL....

I thought about making them into Blog posts but then I'd actually have to make them...you know...good!

Are you trying to set a new precedent for blogs or something?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    Hah hah, well maybe - I think ripping off the Wiki page and adding a few explanations is not really adequate though
    - @ddraver
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Mods, can we have a sub-forum for discussion on the Geography and Geology of races? Genuine question.

Seconded
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Joelsim wrote:

I've gone for Froome at 11/2.
    exercise.png
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    TheStone wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

I've gone for Froome at 11/2.

TM may win but Froome can definitely put a lot of time between himself and his main rivals.

Could be game over by end of today.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • ddraver
    ^ that
    - @ddraver
  • heavy_rat
    heavy_rat Posts: 264
    What time does todays stage start?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    What a stunning finish they've got for today. Expecting a lot of pull away landscape shots from the air. Fair do's though with a landscape as dramatic as this.
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Contador seemed to relish the TTT so i think he's capable of a good time today
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    heavy_rat wrote:

Individual time trials today. Sort the contenders from the pretenders.
  • epc06
    LutherB wrote:
    Contador seemed to relish the TTT so i think he's capable of a good time today

he might be up there, but froome will still smash him...race over
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I wouldn't be so sure. Bertie's recovery powers post rest days are legendary. :wink:
  • heavy_rat
    heavy_rat Posts: 264
    RideOnTime wrote:
    heavy_rat wrote:

I knew that, when does the first rider go off. I like the TTs me :P
  • epc06
    heavy_rat wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:
    heavy_rat wrote:

I knew that, when does the first rider go off. I like the TTs me :P

think its already underway
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Joelsim wrote:

If Martin has no mechanicals and a GC rider beats him then I would find it highly odd on this flat and straightforward course.
    "I feel pretty well," Martin said of his feeling heading into Stage 11, having battled the Tour so far with significant grazing after a crash on Stage 1. "I had a pretty good rest day. The injuries are quite okay now, not too much pain anymore. I recovered well and am really motivated for the time trial tomorrow."
    Contador is the Greatest