TDF 2013 Stage 11 TT ***Spoilers***

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Are you going to answer everyone who asked you to justify your comment about 'repercussions'?

What do you want to know Mr Dean?
    I want to know what you meant when you said there would have been repercussions for Froome if he won.

Just think what Martin would have thought and his team. It is widely known Sky have no friends in the peloton and Froome having won would have just compounded that imo.

I agree with FF's thinking ...

I said as much during the Dauphine when Froom caught an attacking Contador and instead of just sitting on his wheel to make the point he then attacked himself and in the process robbed the lone rider up the road of the win in the final km when it wasn't needed as Froome had made his point to AC and also won tne overall ...

Saying that, Lance won without alliances ...
    Maybe you can explain it then.

From the premise that Sky are dirty, either they are the only ones and everyone else knows, or they are all still at it and omerta is alive and well.

Which are you suggesting is the case and what are the implications of having 'friends in the peloton' or otherwise?

CB's in a particularly miserable mood today, crying to modmins and everything! Mind you he's usually pretty miserable...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    stfc1 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    I don't really care how Contador's career ends, I'd just like it to end really soon, as far as I think he's got no right to be riding.

He's done his time/lost his results. Calm down.

For a tiny bit of what he's done. Like getting a parking ticket for the car you left outside when you were robbing a bank.

...anyway, I didn't drag this back up onto this thread someone else did, so I'll leave it now.

The facts to me about Froome/Martin is that 3.5 hours after Martin it was said by commentators at the finish that the headwinds at the finish were stronger, and that Martin said himself he was hurting the night before.

Personally I don't think that 4 minute gap at the top will kill the racing, I think the mountains are going to have some good stuff to watch.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited July 2013
    mfin wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Fair enough. Just thought it was f***ing tasteless writing that stuff. Wanting a cheater to crash while being perfectly okay with another cheater (I obviously agree with Millar's way of doing it post ban but that doesn't make him less of a cheat). By his logic we would have quite a huge ending career-crash in the peloton.

Let's hope that 'mass crash' doesn't drag any young prospect with it...

I don't really care how Contador's career ends, I'd just like it to end really soon, as far as I think he's got no right to be riding. I also explained that it's unrepentent dopers that I have no respect for, at least Millar speaks out now. First interview after winning a stage last year, he said straight away 'as an ex-doper'. You don't hear things like that from Contador.

I know there are a lot of 'Contadors', but like I said, he's the best at comedy fairy stories and has the face of a twerp. If he wins this or any other GT I will just think 'oh well, that's a GT wasted'.

Sorry to get your back up. Big kiss --> X :)

Both got their ban, didn't they? One does not agree with the ban (has considerably more to lose..) but does that justify wanting him to crash? I can't believe a cycling fan (I'm not sure you are) would say such tasteless sh'it. And even do it numerous of times.

I'm all for dopers not being accepted riding. But Millar shouldn't ride either then.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    mfin wrote:
    stfc1 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    I don't really care how Contador's career ends, I'd just like it to end really soon, as far as I think he's got no right to be riding.

He's done his time/lost his results. Calm down.

For a tiny bit of what he's done. Like getting a parking ticket for the car you left outside when you were robbing a bank.

...anyway, I didn't drag this back up onto this thread someone else did, so I'll leave it now.

The facts to me about Froome/Martin is that 3.5 hours after Martin it was said by commentators at the finish that the headwinds at the finish were stronger, and that Martin said himself he was hurting the night before.

Personally I don't think that 4 minute gap at the top will kill the racing, I think the mountains are going to have some good stuff to watch.
    We might see a geared up marmot. That would be good :D
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Just checked in. If you guys are discussing the TT, I prefer reading about the geology/castles/local wine/AtC's BMI.

Can't you all just sod off to Deadcalm's 'Sky are dopers/Oh no they're not' thread?
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12930855
    Or, since many of you don't like cycling, find another sport?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    So who were the losers today?

Contador, Valverde?

Evans for sure.

All seems pretty par for the course, though the Dutchies surprised me (can you tell? )

Not the most significant TT tbh despite its 2nd week position.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    And do keep it on topic please.

Spoiler threads are ultimately about the stage so best keep discussions about that. Stuff that can be debated elsewhere should be debated elsewhere.
  • ddraver
    Well tomorrow should be fun! A road stage where we ll actually have something to watch while we re arguing...

What region do i need to find geology info for tomorrow?
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ddraver wrote:
    What region do i need to find geology info for tomorrow?

Fougères to Tours so Brittany to the imaginatively named Central region.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    I love this forum. More entertainment than a comedy show. Sky win, they are cheating. Sky dont win, they finish second, so are cheating. You could not make this stuff up.....oh someone did.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    What a couple of days. First time roadside at the Tour. Managed to make it to the Cote de Dinan yesterday, was about 50 m down from the 4th cat classification point.

Westra, first man over.
    IMG_1682.jpg

Rest of the break.
    IMG_1689.jpg

And the peleton.
    IMG_1707.jpg

And today myself the wife and 7 yr old daughter headed of to Juilley to watch the caravan come past and managed to see the first 20 riders or so before the little one got bored and we headed off to the beach. It was unbelievable how many people showed up and the atmosphere was great.

IMG_1879.jpg

Riders warming up before the stage started.

IMG_1793.jpg
    IMG_1788.jpg
    IMG_1787.jpg
    IMG_1794.jpg

And a handful of pics once the stage got under way.

IMG_1833.jpg
    IMG_1851.jpg
    IMG_1864.jpg

It really was a great experience and I can't wait for Yorkshire next year now. Should make it to Fougeres tomorrow morning for the Depart so will try and take some more pics.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    nic_77 wrote:
    dsoutar wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:
    Martin was not in pain or suffering from his injuries. He said so himself.
    In the interview I saw after finishing today - Martin said he had been in considerable pain, not able to sleep well, and had spent an hour having his bandages changed before the stage.

Well there's a pretty huge contradiction here. At least one person must be lying. Either TM (gave two interviews, one the truth, the other a lie), FF or nic_77.

Anyone else see TM's interview(s) ?
    The one I saw was on ITV4's live coverage not long after the stage finished, hopefully it'll be on the highlights tonight...
    That'll be a no then! There was more in another interview as quoted on Cycling News http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour-de-fran ... 11/results
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    How in god's name did such a boring stage generate a 33 page thread?
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    .......... Frank Schleck is a bit sad, but he's always sucked in the TT, so no surprise he sucks harder in this modern environment.

Andy Schleck. Andy. Frank isn't in this Tour.
    What do we learn? Bertie's either ill and doped, or clean, or ill and clean, depending on how much faith you have in his palmares.

That's not what I "learn". It is entirely possible that Contador just ain't capable of a GT win any more, and none of your postulated 'reasons'.

IMO.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    nic_77 wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:
    dsoutar wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:
    Martin was not in pain or suffering from his injuries. He said so himself.
    In the interview I saw after finishing today - Martin said he had been in considerable pain, not able to sleep well, and had spent an hour having his bandages changed before the stage.

Well there's a pretty huge contradiction here. At least one person must be lying. Either TM (gave two interviews, one the truth, the other a lie), FF or nic_77.

Anyone else see TM's interview(s) ?
    The one I saw was on ITV4's live coverage not long after the stage finished, hopefully it'll be on the highlights tonight...
    That'll be a no then! There was more in another interview as quoted on Cycling News http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour-de-fran ... 11/results

Cyclingnews are selectively quoting from the interview shown on ITV4 on the live show.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    afx237vi wrote:

Because a lot of boys want to make arguments just for the sake of it?
  • afx237vi
    Lichtblick wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

That's what I thought.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Should make it to Fougeres tomorrow morning for the Depart so will try and take some more pics.

Cool photos SBF, don't forget to post some from tomorrow's depart!
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Should make it to Fougeres tomorrow morning for the Depart so will try and take some more pics.

Cool photos SBF, don't forget to post some from tomorrow's depart!

Yeah, loved the pics SBF!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    afx237vi wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

That's what I thought.

To be fair, there was cricket and stuff too.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

That's what I thought.

Ah, not so bad then. The cricket was more interesting than the cycling today.
  • tailwindhome
    afx237vi wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

That's what I thought.

Ah, not so bad then. The cricket was more interesting than the cycling today.

but it was mostly people being d1cks.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    afx237vi wrote:
    The cricket was more interesting than the cycling today.
    Doesn't look like I'm going to have anything to watch at the weekend though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    afx237vi wrote:

Pretty much every argument you've seen on these forums over the last few years was re-discussed except for the Armstrong one and the Froome / Wiggins debate. I suggest these get flogged as well, so tomorrow we can get back to the racing.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Just catching up o ITV 4. Good early rides by Tuft and Martin and the fabulous Belkin Boys!. Plenty of effort by Froome coming in to the last sector but it looked quite technical and I think that's where he lost out to a TT maestro.

Slightly off topic but if anyone is racked off at what they think is one man or team ruining racing by domination they should think themselves lucky they weren't watching between 1965 and 1975.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • tailwindhome
    Silly stat alert.

Contador the only repeat winner since Indurain in 1995.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    ddraver wrote:

CB's in a particularly miserable mood today, crying to modmins and everything! Mind you he's usually pretty miserable...

I thought about responding via PM but as you want to behave like the guy at the end of the bar having 2 quick G&T's before jumping in your Jag to go home to 'she who must be obeyed' (always said with a knowing head and eye roll in the direction of anyone who gives a sh!t) I'll respond to you as such ...

(deathly silence) ...
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    edited July 2013
    Well just watched today's TT - In a sentence.... Saxobank & Movistar hell mend them !!!! - They had 4 or 5 riders each the other day and because of pig headed arrogance by Mr wheelsucker Valverde & Contador they could have got their riders to keep on counter attacking for example Kreuziger and Rui Costa until froome "Blew Up" as there was still 100 odd Km's left his tour could have been over, Now we have a tour thats more or less a sportive ride now. nothing against froome but i hope there will something extraordinary in the Alps, if not then this race is finished.
  • ddraver
    In defence of cycling that was probably one of the most topsy turvy cricket days ever. I'm not that big a fan and I was hooked...
    Lichtblick wrote:
    What do we learn? Bertie's either ill and doped, or clean, or ill and clean, depending on how much faith you have in his palmares.

That's not what I "learn". It is entirely possible that Contador just ain't capable of a GT win any more, and none of your postulated 'reasons'.

*Leicester Lad EBH comment* But he's the greatest stage racer of his generation! ;)

CB - just an observation...
    - @ddraver
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Just catching up o ITV 4. Good early rides by Tuft and Martin and the fabulous Belkin Boys!. Plenty of effort by Froome coming in to the last sector but it looked quite technical and I think that's where he lost out to a TT maestro.

Slightly off topic but if anyone is racked off at what they think is one man or team ruining racing by domination they should think themselves lucky they weren't watching between 1965 and 1975.

There is a new discussion right there. Is racing ruined by one man or one team dominating? Surely a worthy winner is a worthy winner? Or does that only apply if your chosen guy or team is the one doing it?

Or are we going to damn Merckx cos he was such a great cyclist and always rode to win?