Comments

• thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    The earth is not round btw :D
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ThomThom wrote:
    It's smoother than a snooker ball, though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2013
    There was a time "scientists" claimed the world was flat and that the sailors who said otherwise were poorly educated idiots.
    That's not actually true. There's no record of anyone serious ever thinking it was flat. Even the ancient greeks knew it was round.
    The idea that people used to think it was flat stems from a song by George Gershwin.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    RichN95 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    It's smoother than a snooker ball, though.
    Indeed, I love hitting people with that fact.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    ThomThom wrote:

Please stay on topic... :mrgreen:
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • RichN95.
    goonz wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Please stay on topic... :mrgreen:
    OK. Chris Froome is less round than he used to be.

ChrisFroomeweb.jpg
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    RichN95 wrote:
    There was a time "scientists" claimed the world was flat and that the sailors who said otherwise were poorly educated idiots.
    That's not actually true. There's no record of anyone serious ever thinking it was flat. Even the ancient greeks knew it was round.

I know that's not really the point here but that's not really true of the ancient Greeks - plenty of flat earthers among the pre-Socratic philosophers!
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    goonz wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    They will cheat they will dope . So lets let them and lets let them do it safely rather than end up like Rico nearly dead. As for listing all the possible effects of a drug. There can be horrid side effects from just taking asprin etc etc. If you read the possible effect of any drug and thought that could happen to you, you would not take.

While we're at it why not legalise all drugs?

Why not? No dealers , no addicts going round stealing or mugging to get a fix. No dodgy stuff that can kill. Safe places where addicts are off the streets and not leaving there needles lying around lets take control.
  • Paulie W
    rayjay wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    They will cheat they will dope . So lets let them and lets let them do it safely rather than end up like Rico nearly dead. As for listing all the possible effects of a drug. There can be horrid side effects from just taking asprin etc etc. If you read the possible effect of any drug and thought that could happen to you, you would not take.

While we're at it why not legalise all drugs?

Why not? No dealers , no addicts going round stealing or mugging to get a fix. No dodgy stuff that can kill. Safe places where addicts are off the streets and not leaving there needles lying around lets take control.

Jesus, let's not take this thread into that debate!!
  • rayjay
    ddraver wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    Everything you have said I could say the exact opposite

The whole tread could be summed up by this next sentence - Rick has evidence for what he says, you do not

He has no evidence. Just a load of figures and an opinion that can be read anyway you want to read it. i.e. you want to believe Sky are clean and some of us have our suspicions. These Same things could have been said when Armstrong was winning and from the fall out there are a lot of upset fans who feel they were duped." Shock pro athlete dopes " of course they do ,they want to win and if you were in that position how do you know you would not dope? Most in cycling do and have , take a look .
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Cycling, athletics, swimming take your pick. Anywhere where money is involved someone will look for an opportunity be it doping or fixing
    M.Rushton
  • rayjay
    Daz555 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    Approvied drug taking would be the death of the sport.

All we'd end up with are "safe" dopers riding alongside the "unsafe" dopers who would take risks to gain an advantage and of course win via this advantage. The sport would be no more fair than it is now. More riders would be dead though.

WHy would any parent support their child in junior racing if that was the outcome, also?

Wake up to the realities of pro sport. Thats what a lot of athletes do. We don't live in a sugar coated world. You have to make a choice.
    Lets make legal so we can make it as safe as we can, It sure ain't working as it is. I am a parent, 2 boys.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    rayjay, do you actually watch any cycling, only you don't seem to want to comment on the actual racing? Are you actually interested in the racing at all?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Paulie W
    Even if you believe that the non-doping professional athlete is the exception - that virtually all successful sportmen/women are doping - this argument doesnt stand up. How exactly do you make it 'safe'? By limiting what atheletes can take and in what quantities? But wont the really ambitious (and/or stupid) people simply find a way around that and take what they want in whatever quantities they want. Legalising 'doping' - whatever the hell that means anyway - will likely lead to an escalation of doping.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Paulie W wrote:
    Even if you believe that the non-doping professional athlete is the exception - that virtually all successful sportmen/women are doping - this argument doesnt stand up. How exactly do you make it 'safe'? By limiting what atheletes can take and in what quantities? But wont the really ambitious (and/or stupid) people simply find a way around that and take what they want in whatever quantities they want. Legalising 'doping' - whatever the hell that means anyway - will likely lead to an escalation of doping.
    Off course it will. 'Ok guys, you can dope, but only to safe levels.' Dirty cheating cyclists dope to unsafe levels to gain an advantage over the rest. Completely stupid idea.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    nweststeyn wrote:
    Some people on this thread (im looking at both viewpoints here) need to read this book on basic scientific practise and the manipulation of data.

71mmQpYOjvL._SL1237_.jpg

Good call - good book!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    rayjay wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

The whole tread could be summed up by this next sentence - Rick has evidence for what he says, you do not

He has no evidence. Just a load of figures and an opinion that can be read anyway you want to read it. i.e. you want to believe Sky are clean and some of us have our suspicions. These Same things could have been said when Armstrong was winning and from the fall out there are a lot of upset fans who feel they were duped." Shock pro athlete dopes " of course they do ,they want to win and if you were in that position how do you know you would not dope? Most in cycling do and have , take a look .

Rick does nt need any becasue he's not making any claims (although he's been helped today by l'Equipe), you are claiming that Froome is doping (and please don't do the "i'm only suspicious" rubbish, that's so lame), therefore YOU DO NEED evidence.

A) I don't give the tiniest monekys twhat was said when armstrong was winning, he is irrelevant and C) (sic) That's absoloute rubbish becasue when Armstrong was winning we had the Andreu's, Emma, Backdated TUE's, positive EPO tests etc etc. Stop trying to change history!

Right this has gone round in circles too many times now, I'm out and you re on ze list, be a dear and PM me if you ever find any evidence will you?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

ddraver you like to present an image of scientific maturity but your seemingly intransigent position that sky is clean is clouding your critical abilities. There was a time "scientists" claimed the world was flat and that the sailors who said otherwise were poorly educated idiots.

the truth is the whole sports been built with PED abuse in its DNA, its everywhere. Its still a magnificent spectacle.

And Contador is definitely the most exciting GT racer of several generations.

PS ROCK ON Buddy

Show me the evidence...Sky have today and it suggests that Froome is clean. 3 years I ve been waiting for some evidence that theyre doping. I can show you evidence that the world is round, see -
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQvHoS74yWqic4m9YqFg3JcQuPEAlGSUJ2l1f6kcG5gIm56lK0

Seriously I ve been asked twice this morning to back up what I think. I really cannot understand people who think that its shutting down debate or trolling to ask for evidence! When I write reports at work I state explicitly what the observations are, what they might mean and then say what my interpretation is.

The doping fans are making wild accusations, they need to back them up

As for the fanboi nonsense, I think that's the fourth time this year i ve switched from being called a jealous Sky hater to a blind Sky Fanboi...which says it all really

You're wasting your time. There comes a point when you have to recognise that there is simply no common ground on which to have a discussion with some people, no shared principles that make meaningful communication possible. That point is reached when they come out with something like the 'scientists once said the earth was flat' crap above. If you know that you could present the most solid, research based evidence imaginable and the other person will airily dismiss it with a wave of the hand saying "Oh, science - you can prove anything with science" then what's the point?
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

ddraver you like to present an image of scientific maturity but your seemingly intransigent position that sky is clean is clouding your critical abilities. There was a time "scientists" claimed the world was flat and that the sailors who said otherwise were poorly educated idiots.

the truth is the whole sports been built with PED abuse in its DNA, its everywhere. Its still a magnificent spectacle.

And Contador is definitely the most exciting GT racer of several generations.

PS ROCK ON Buddy

Show me the evidence...Sky have today and it suggests that Froome is clean. 3 years I ve been waiting for some evidence that theyre doping. I can show you evidence that the world is round, see -
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQvHoS74yWqic4m9YqFg3JcQuPEAlGSUJ2l1f6kcG5gIm56lK0

Seriously I ve been asked twice this morning to back up what I think. I really cannot understand people who think that its shutting down debate or trolling to ask for evidence! When I write reports at work I state explicitly what the observations are, what they might mean and then say what my interpretation is.

The doping fans are making wild accusations, they need to back them up

As for the fanboi nonsense, I think that's the fourth time this year i ve switched from being called a jealous Sky hater to a blind Sky Fanboi...which says it all really

that is a 2d image it shows the world is circular. pfft as a scientist id have expected better. it also shows you interpret evidence to suit your position.
  • rayjay wrote:
    blah blah blah ... As for listing all the possible effects of a drug. There can be horrid side effects from just taking asprin etc etc. If you read the possible effect of any drug and thought that could happen to you, you would not take. blah blah blah.

You said that EPO should be legalised because, unlike steroids, it's safe. The evidence you presented for your assertion that EPO is safer than steroids was that you had never heard of anyone dying from it*

Other posters here immediately pointed out that EPO was put on the banned list following a rash of deaths among athletes which were linked to the drug. I provided evidence from an authoritative source that clinical trials link EPO to excess mortality, particularly when used to push blood values beyond usual levels - which is precisely how athletes use it.

You are therefore shown to be wrong.

You cannot counter the evidence with evidence of your own, so instead you dismiss it. You make a silly comment about all drugs having side-effects. I am a healthcare professional with 25 years experience and I can tell the difference between the level of risk associated with aspirin and the level of risk associated with EPO. I know that MHRA/CHM advice is for clinicians to carefully balance the risks and benefits before prescribing this powerful drug, to avoid using it if alternatives such as blood transfusion are available, and not to use it to correct anaemias unless the anaemia is actually causing real problems for the patient. Maybe you can't tell the difference: that's fine, but perhaps you might then refrain from pretending you can and declaring one drug to be safer than another?

You whine about not being allowed your own opinion. You are allowed your own opinion, you're not allowed your own facts.

* this is technically known as the argument from complete, total, and utter ignorance.
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • jamie1012
    jamie1012 Posts: 171
    Well, whether or not they're doping, they certainly do enjoy a nice illegal feed.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Quintana beat Froome by a lot today.

This therefore proves that Movistar are definitely doping, and Sky need to get their money back if they are!!!

Oh no, wait - it means that Sky deliberately soft pedalled to allay suspicion!
  • jamie1012
    jamie1012 Posts: 171
    PBo wrote:
    Quintana beat Froome by a lot today.

This therefore proves that Movistar are definitely doping, and Sky need to get their money back if they are!!!

Oh no, wait - it means that Sky deliberately soft pedalled to allay suspicion!
    A bonk's a bonk. Could happen to anyone, doper or not :)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I timed Quintana at just under 40 minutes for the second ascent... kind of acceptable... they're probably cleanish... including SKY.... :shock:
    left the forum March 2023
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    I timed Quintana at just under 40 minutes for the second ascent... kind of acceptable... they're probably cleanish... including SKY.... :shock:

I'm sure they'll be delighted that you find their performances acceptable
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    jamie1012 wrote:
    Well, whether or not they're doping, they certainly do enjoy a nice illegal feed.

Don't we all, the only way I can watch the cycling at work.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    jamie1012 wrote:

Don't we all, the only way I can watch the cycling at work.

Very good! :lol:
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • rayjay
    rayjay, do you actually watch any cycling, only you don't seem to want to comment on the actual racing? Are you actually interested in the racing at all?

Whats the title of this thread ? Do I watch any cycling ? Sky should lose 5mins for food cheating ha ha
  • rayjay
    Paulie W wrote:
    what do you mean escalation of doping . Do you read the sports pages ?
    I say lets get control, lets make it safe. If you don't want to take then you don't or leave things as they are and do nothing but make rules that won't stop sh%t. At least if we make it legal and controlled it might stop some of the deaths and near deaths tha occur. If someone wants to go crazy with drugs you are not going to stop them anyway and not catch them . Most athletes don't get caught. FACT.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    rayjay wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:
    what do you mean escalation of doping . Do you read the sports pages ?
    I say lets get control, lets make it safe. If you don't want to take then you don't or leave things as they are and do nothing but make rules that won't stop sh%t. At least if we make it legal and controlled it might stop some of the deaths and near deaths tha occur. If someone wants to go crazy with drugs you are not going to stop them anyway and not catch them . Most athletes don't get caught. FACT.

Can you point me to a death or near death of an athlete thanks to doping since Ricardo Ricco?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
This discussion has been closed.