TDF Stage 8 *Spoiler* Castres - AX 3 Domaines

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    tomisitt wrote:
    Froome's VAM of 1715 m/h converts to a power output of 6.3 W/kg (Ferrari method) and about 6.5 W/kg with other models (CPL, rst). Anything over 6.0 W/kg is usually considered deeply suspect. Interesting stuff from @Scienceofsport if anyone wants a scientific breakdown of today's stage.

I thought that depended a lot on length of climb, the finish climb was fairly short. I thought there was a similar result on Planche des Belle Filles last year and that was explained back then.
  • Pross
    Most questionable result for me today is Quintana taking the young riders jersey. He looks at least 40, do they do carbon dating as part of the dope testing!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Was lovely to see Contador climbing like that today, losing time, it was really entertaining :)

Bit of a shame for the general classification entertainment though that a few of the big names had a bad one. Hope at least that a few teams turn themselves inside out to pull something back on Froome even if they fail.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Pross wrote:
    Most questionable result for me today is Quintana taking the young riders jersey. He looks at least 40, do they do carbon dating as part of the dope testing!

+1

Hasn't there been a history of south American athletes claiming they are younger than they actually are, in order to seem like they have more potential than reality?!
    Mañana
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Pross wrote:

You can't carbon date past the advent of nuclear testing though, better to look at his driving license photo or look at him in casuals and see if his pants show above his jeans.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    DeadCalm wrote:

Sky will ban him from posting to Strava when he's there next year
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Just seen the highlights of this. I was keeping tabs on the thread up to a point and honestly thought Froome and Porte had put about 10 minutes into everyone.

If Contador from his bad old days was your benchmark then this is a shock. But he is probably clean now so just doesn't look like he can cut it when he is not on the sauce. The Belkin guys did better than him and he was dragged up by his teammate. Where does that leave us for TdF challengers. Without Nibali there it looks short of top riders who can challenge.

I am a Sky fan however but I am torn. I am not naive enough to think there is no doubt here. Either it's amateur hour in the other teams or something Sky do is ridiculously far ahead of everyone else.
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    pb21 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

+1

Hasn't there been a history of south American athletes claiming they are younger than they actually are, in order to seem like they have more potential than reality?!
    Aye, quite common in many developing parts, usually more to do with school tournaments and dodgying an over-age player in. David Moyes knows all too well about it.

Guessing Henao should turn 23 in another 4 years.
  • Pross
    iainf72 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

Someone will probably flag the ride or beat it using digital EPO :wink:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    #freeRoman
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Pross wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

The ride has already been flagged...
  • Pross
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

Seriously? There's some saddos using Strava!
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Bakunin wrote:
    The only question that I have after that stage is whether Roman K could have followed Froome and Porte? Sky answered all the others...scary.

Speaking of Krueziger, it reminded me of Evans and van Garderen last year. It was obvious he was waiting for Contador and had a lot left in the tank.
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Pross wrote:

It seems like South American athletes all either look really old or really young.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Pross wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

It was probably Jeremy Roy - he took a few KOMs today - his max speed was 69.1mph :shock:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Pross wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

It was probably Jeremy Roy - he took a few KOMs today - his max speed was 69.1mph :shock:
    My Garmin has had me doing over 120 kph on the flat. Not the most reliable measurement.
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    Some people on here with serious double standards in their dislike for Sky and praise for Quintana
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Squaggles wrote:
    Some people on here with serious double standards in their dislike for Sky and praise for Quintana

I suggest you educate yourself:
    http://www.cyclinginquisition.com/2012/ ... ntana.html
    You sound like those American commentators when Quintana put in a superb TT.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Greg Henderson ‏@Greghenderson1 3h
    Hey @AndreGreipel. All you have to do is 565w for 20mins after 5hrs racing to hang onto Froome. Less raving more concentración por favor
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    #freeRoman

Snort! :lol:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Squaggles wrote:

It probably helps that he cycled 16km to school every day up a mountain when he was younger.
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    Squaggles wrote:

Bad day for you Frenchie :roll:
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Great stage and some great racing, good job by Froome and Sky, they seem a happier bunch than when Wiggo was leader.

Seems pretty much game over unless Froome has a crash or major mechanical.

Bertie seems to be found out now he is 'clean'.

Why were there so many motorbikes on the stage?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    goonz wrote:
    Bertie seems to be found out now he is 'clean'

Massive fail by Contador today, nearly dropped by his own domestique.

Proper sour grapes from Frenchie, *embarrassing*

Brilliant ride by Peter kennaugh

It's a shame but it looks like the GC battle is all but over
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Squaggles wrote:

What does that article have to do with your double standards?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    MTFU training tips ‏@MTFU_Training
    Can everyone who said @TeamSky are boring SRM watchers eat their hat please. #mtfu

Whoooooooooooop!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get in Froomedog

Get
    The
    F**k
    In!!!!

I think it might be more than that

I can't be bothered with you, just f**k off back to the clinic

get farked yourself. or do you only like opinions in a chat room that mirror yours. Youre blocked you boring fan boy

Well at least i don't block people that disagree with me

Face!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Why does Cadel never have any teammates with him when it gets serious in the mountains?
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    RoyPSB wrote:
    Why does Cadel never have any teammates with him when it gets serious in the mountains?
    'cos they've dropped him :wink:
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Turfle wrote:
    Beaten by Ten Dam. Oh, Alberto.

Not so good sans gear.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.