TDF Stage 8 *Spoiler* Castres - AX 3 Domaines

Comments

• Walter White
    Walter White Posts: 238
    ddraver wrote:
    The Clinic has crashed - no really it has! :lol:

The forums have been down for quite some time, i was on the stage 8 thread at the end of the stage having a laugh at it all and it was getting slower and slower and slower to load each page and them boom, it was down and still is, hilarious, :lol:
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    In other news my mother-in-law's gone. Happy days! :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Brian Cookson OBE ‏@cooksonforuci 40m
    Congratulations Chris Froome on a brilliant ride in today's stage of the Tour de France. Epic performances all round. A superb spectacle.

*chuckle*
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    I think this is the stage Armstrong did

stage_12.gif
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Can somebody tell me who "should" be winning stages like that and in what manner?

Contador was very poor today and was expected to be the only real rival to Froome. As others have pointed out, what you've just seen is Froome put a minute into Mollema and Ten Dam.

Do you all assume Contador is still doping? If so why is nothing like his old self?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • jamie1012
    jamie1012 Posts: 171
    Brian Cookson OBE ‏@cooksonforuci 40m
    Congratulations Chris Froome on a brilliant ride in today's stage of the Tour de France. Epic performances all round. A superb spectacle.

*chuckle*
    If I was into dad rock I'd be quoting a certain lyric by The Who here.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Can somebody tell me who "should" be winning stages like that and in what manner?

Contador was very poor today and was expected to be the only real rival to Froome. As others have pointed out, what you've just seen is Froome put a minute into Mollema and Ten Dam.

Do you all assume Contador is still doping? If so why is nothing like his old self?

If people still think Contador is doping (and many on this forum do) then heaven knows what they make of Chris Froome.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Exactly LL. It's either that or he's forgotten how to TT and packed in doing hill reps.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Might I refer my fellow forumites to this handy little thread I have created for the discussion of all things related to Sky and doping:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12930855
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661

If people still think Contador is doping (and many on this forum do) then heaven knows what they make of Chris Froome.

Honestly, and you know I'm no fan of his, but I think he must have had something wrong (or he's been Wigginsing interviews where he says he's on form)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Exactly LL. It's either that or he's forgotten how to TT and packed in doing hill reps.

Well I wouldn't have expected him to crack his stash open before the first rest day anyway ;-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • disgruntledgoat
    In the spirit of DeadCalm's attempt to get us back on track... I'm still not feeling the love this year. It may be because I spent the final 50km being moaned at to fix a mower and sorting out a dog's cut paw but I think it's also that asking me to choose between two blank slates like Froome and Contador is like picking whether I'd rather have plain rice pudding or porridge.

I like Ten Dam though. He's funny on Strava.

@gietvangent
  • above_the_cows

"Pure" climbers I think. Or as they really should be called, climbers as I don't think any of them were ever 'pure'.

OK I'm being a bit catty. I don't know. Quintana probably. He's got the 'plucky little Colombian underdog' factor which of course makes him immune from insinuations frequently ascribed to others.

It's all so boring. All of it. The racing is great. The inevitable discussions that follow so, so, so predictable and tedious.

I'm really hoping Kerrison just rocks up tomorrow wearing the Ferrari spectacles now. Why not. Sod it.

Anyway I shall say no more of this here.
  • ddraver
    Dog did nt do so well with fixing the mower then?
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited July 2013
    David Millar ‏@millarmind
    Well, @TeamSky rode a perfect race, and for the record, I believe they are clean and they deserve respect and admiration for it.

Just saying, because I don't think they deserve to have mud thrown at them when they work so hard to do it right. It doesn't seem fair.
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited July 2013
    Great stage, stunning scenery, shame about the result.

I can't remember the last time I saw something so unbelievable. A bit Ricco'esque tbh. Looked like Froome was sprinting up that climb. Good to see him with a pain face on.

Porte even willingly gave up 20 or so seconds before he made his mind up and still finished well ahead.

CYCLISME A DEUX VITESSE

It's a shame really as quite apart from not liking or believing him and Sky's A team, he is an exciting rider and willing to attack. I guess however, like others have said about other people I liked, it is easy to race like that if you have assistance.

Sky jersey's have got worse and worse. Have they no shame. I can see Froome's hrm.

Great ride by Pete I suppose. Proper little pain face. The rest of Sky's team looking relatively weak somehow.

I really hope there are a lot of numbers calculated. I hope Ferrari gets on the case. I suspect it will be interesting reading.

SUPERB by Quintana. Pure class and humble too. Unlike the brat Porte - if you missed what he said about Quintana's attack be sure to check on Cyclingnews later.
    Did anyone notice that Quintana had his jersey zipped right up to the top even on the climbs? :lol:
    Shame he didn't win - that would have been old school epic. At least a pure climber won the prize.
    Good to know he can have tips on how to descend and improve (Boardman pointed out that if he changed his cornering on hairpins he would save good time).
    Love his poker face too.
    I suspect we will be seeing more of him this race.
    In the future I reckon he will become my favourite rider.

Glad I backed Evans over TJ. Not only did he get smoked, he didn't even try.

Not what I expected from Contador. Never good in the extreme heat but was not pleasant viewing. I suspect his crash may have caused him more damage then he is letting on.

HUGE by Ten Dam. Respect. Gesink on the other hand...

Great ride by Valverde.

Decent ride by Andy.

Pinot...fail. Quite apart from his shocking descending (which someone mentioned a few races ago), he was dropped on the first climb.

Disappointed Kwia lost as much as he did but it was far from terrible. He was also doing a ton of work for Cav this week.

Voeckler's move was laughable but good to see Rolland perform well and regain his polka dots.

Riblon made a nice attempt and he was the guy who made that lovely win on the same climb a few years back. Was nice when Quintana passed him as he pointed to his back wheel rather than riding straight off.

Now to go an skim read this thread.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    Matt Slater ‏@mattslaterbbc 1m
    Team Sky told Richie Porte & Geraint Thomas the Lions score over race radio...expect they told RP it was even worse to wind him up
    - @ddraver
  • disgruntledgoat

but good to see Rolland perform well and regain his polka dots.

Who's gonna break it to him?

@gietvangent
  • above_the_cows

but good to see Rolland perform well and regain his polka dots.

Who's gonna break it to him?

One, two, three:

Nuclear-explosion_zpsbb1fd1fa.jpg
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Did Rohan Dennis crash or is he crocked or just shit today? Dead last today, and seven minutes behind Ferrari.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    ddraver wrote:
    Matt Slater ‏@mattslaterbbc 1m
    Team Sky told Richie Porte & Geraint Thomas the Lions score over race radio...expect they told RP it was even worse to wind him up

Porte is extra Tasmanian today :D
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    What did Porte say about Quintana Frenchie?

In the ES interview he was saying that they weren't worried about one man up the road...

which is fair enough considering that they'd pegged him back to 30 seconds using little Pete on the descent. I don't think anyone was under the illusion that Quintana would stay away.

I interpreted it as a move to force Sky to work so that the Spanish Armada could try and attack later.
  • Porte said they did not need to chase Quinata as it was not possible to go to the end alone from that far out.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Daniel Lloyd ‏@daniellloyd1 3m
    Interesting watching the feed without commentary. You can hear Froome saying to Porte: "they're dropped, they're dropped, all of them."
  • disgruntledgoat
    What did Porte say about Quintana Frenchie?

In the ES interview he was saying that they weren't worried about one man up the road...

which is fair enough considering that they'd pegged him back to 30 seconds using little Pete on the descent. I don't think anyone was under the illusion that Quintana would stay away.

I interpreted it as a move to force Sky to work so that the Spanish Armada could try and attack later.

That's how I saw it too, hoping they'd panic. I reckon if he put 30s on Riblon, they may have had a decision to make, but as it was, he had 60s over the top against a bunch of top descenders and weighs 8st wet through.

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    He said a bit more than that didn't he. Proper little factory boy response wasn't it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    Pinarello fb

1. Froome Team Sky
    2. Porte Team Sky
    3. Valverde Team Movistar
    Pinarello Power al Tour de France!!!
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    Robert Gesink ‏@RGUpdate 1m
    A great day for @TeamBelkin and for me personally! Getting better and better this #TDF2013

:roll:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    Robert Gesink ‏@RGUpdate 1m
    A great day for @TeamBelkin and for me personally! Getting better and better this #TDF2013

:roll:

A day where Robert Gesink rides off the front and remains upright for the duration is a good day for Robert Gesink

@gietvangent