TDF 2013: Stage 7 *SPOILERS* Montpellier - Albi

12345679»

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    bazbadger wrote:
    Well done Sky, that was a great sprint effort, being on the front for so much of the day too.

Ah, hold on a minute.

What happened to Sky?

Don't you worry, expect to see them on the lower slopes of the final climb tomorrow.

I doubt it, after the Col de Pailhères.
    5 would be good.

What's the point if they don't need to? They are playing one game and that is Froome (or maybe Porte). No energy expended unless absolutely necessary.

Whether you like Sky or not, you have to admire Brailsford, a great strategist, forward thinker and tactician.

Now, hopefully Froome will crash at some point so my little wagers have a better chance of ripening.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    All that, from 2 very brief sentences?
    July is the minefield month around here.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Sagan came from behind Degenkolb and still put this much space into him. Wow.

FIN_STD_IMG.jpg

I'm pleased that Sagan won Frenchie, but I personally don't think it's a surprise by how much. Degenkolb is not a sprinter and Sagan is so stupidly talented it should be illegal :mrgreen:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,562
    I'm not sure when Sir Dave got a reputation as a tactical genius. He's a good talent spotter and has built a strong team, but I'm not sure at all about his tactical nous.

Riis on the other hand... loathe him or loathe him you have to admire his race tactics.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I'm not sure when Sir Dave got a reputation as a tactical genius.
    I doubt he's made a tactical decision this season. That's what Ellingworth, Knaven & Portal are for.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,562
    Sagan came from behind Degenkolb and still put this much space into him. Wow.

Degenkolb went way to early and Bennati too late. Not sure they would have won, but it would have been a bit closer if their timing wasn't quite so bad.

Gerrans you'll be pleased to hear didn't even contest it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    bazbadger wrote:
    Well done Sky, that was a great sprint effort, being on the front for so much of the day too.

Ah, hold on a minute.

What happened to Sky?

Why would you expect Sky to put in a sprint effort? They have no sprinter so why waste energy when they have some big days over the weekend. It's bizarre the lengths some people go to in order to criticise Sky :?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Pross wrote:
    bazbadger wrote:

Ah, hold on a minute.

What happened to Sky?

Why would you expect Sky to put in a sprint effort? They have no sprinter so why waste energy when they have some big days over the weekend. It's bizarre the lengths some people go to in order to criticise Sky :?

In fairness, the Chuckle Brothers seemed to spend most of the final two hours of the race suggesting that Sky were likely to organise themselves to lead out EBH and that therefore he had to be considered the favourite for the win.
  • Pross
    Really enjoyed that stage. Not sure if it was raised earlier in the thread but can anyone recall several sprinters teams working together like that to close a gap? Made great viewing whilst it lasted especially the two arch enemy Belgian squads. Great work by Cannondale to be fair, thought Degenkolb was going to mug them at the end but went too early.

People talking about Porte or Froome being in yellow tomorrow - I think Kwiatowski could surprise them. Maybe he's the new Sagan (but a better climber and TTer :wink: ).
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Pross wrote:
    Really enjoyed that stage. Not sure if it was raised earlier in the thread but can anyone recall several sprinters teams working together like that to close a gap? Made great viewing whilst it lasted especially the two arch enemy Belgian squads. Great work by Cannondale to be fair, thought Degenkolb was going to mug them at the end but went too early.
    Agreed. Lots to like there. I was watching the Moto 3 feed on French TV which was showing the chase group and the chain gang they had going was something to behold. For a while I actually began to believe they might do it. Then the road went uphill and it all got a little ragged.

Loved the marking of Rolland by Bardet to ensure Kadri got the polka jersey.

And every year at the Tour I acquire one or two new favourite riders. I think Bakelants could well be one from this Tour.
    People talking about Porte or Froome being in yellow tomorrow - I think Kwiatowski could surprise them. Maybe he's the new Sagan (but a better climber and TTer :wink: ).

Kwiatkowski is looking very strong but I wouldn't be surprised if one or two riders who are still close on GC but aren't considered an overall threat are allowed to pinch a few seconds whilst the favourites watch each other. Amador or Niemiec maybe?
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Kwiatkowski is looking very strong but I wouldn't be surprised if one or two riders who are still close on GC but aren't considered an overall threat are allowed to pinch a few seconds whilst the favourites watch each other. Amador or Niemiec maybe?
    I might be wrong, but I don't think Froome is going to be watching anyone. I really think he just likes to go for it, whether he's feeling well or not. Considering his random attack this week, I'll be surprised if he doesn't attack like it's the last stage of the tdf tomorrow.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I'm not sure when Sir Dave got a reputation as a tactical genius. He's a good talent spotter and has built a strong team, but I'm not sure at all about his tactical nous.

Riis on the other hand... loathe him or loathe him you have to admire his race tactics.

[troll]I am not buying this all conquering super tactician Riis thing

Sure he made some moves as a DS and a rider at times but he blew a fair few as well..some real school boy errors

1997 losing his podium place in the tour by getting isolated by a counter attack on the rolling roads of the Jura by Banesto dragging Olano up the gc along with pantani. Banesto paypack for the dauphine (might as been the midi?) who had telekom's udo bolts attacking olano who had a mechanical while in the jersey... or the countless years of underperforming CSC time trials using that 1980's constant through and off tt formation... never worked and the team constantly underperformed given the size of the engines on the squad.

2008 tour? well luigi just towed everyone across two mountain ranges with evans limping in behind with crash damage. the best of the rest was on his squad with andy and frank.[/troll]
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Not sure whether this has been mentioned but did anyone see a brake on Jens Voigt rear wheel?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    goonz wrote:
    Not sure whether this has been mentioned but did anyone see a brake on Jens Voigt rear wheel?

Its mounted under the BB on the Trek Madone.
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    Pross wrote:
    bazbadger wrote:

Ah, hold on a minute.

What happened to Sky?

...because they had EBH up there and were near the front the whole day. I suppose we have to remember that EBH is not handy in a sprint at all :roll:
    Mens agitat molem
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    goonz wrote:

Its mounted under the BB on the Trek Madone.

And yet they still pull the magic spanner trick. Makes me laugh every time. "Oh we're just adjusting the breaks after replacing the wheel Monsieur Race Commisaire, here I am adjusting the breaks..."

Watch for it, it's hilarious, one of the little things that keeps a stage interesting. Hmmmm perhaps I'll develop an I Spy game... There's a thought.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Pross
    bazbadger wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    bazbadger wrote:

Ah, hold on a minute.

What happened to Sky?

...because they had EBH up there and were near the front the whole day. I suppose we have to remember that EBH is not handy in a sprint at all :roll:

You wouldn't use up energy leading out a part time sprinter like EBH when you have the first two big GC days coming up. In fact the only team with a sprint train was Cannondale. Sky rode near the front to keep Froome safe and then eased up once inside the final KM. By your rationale Bertie, Mick and Roche should have been leading out Benatti as if anything he is a better sprinter than EBH. Sky learned last year that you concentrate your efforts on the big picture otherwise they would have kept the fastest sprinter out there on their team.
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    Pross wrote:
    bazbadger wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    bazbadger wrote:

Ah, hold on a minute.

What happened to Sky?

You wouldn't use up energy leading out a part time sprinter like EBH when you have the first two big GC days coming up. In fact the only team with a sprint train was Cannondale. Sky rode near the front to keep Froome safe and then eased up once inside the final KM. By your rationale Bertie, Mick and Roche should have been leading out Benatti as if anything he is a better sprinter than EBH. Sky learned last year that you concentrate your efforts on the big picture otherwise they would have kept the fastest sprinter out there on their team.

You may be right.
    Mens agitat molem
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    "Kind of knew what Cannondale would do today, but no way to prevent it. They rode faultlessly. Congratulations to @petosagan. #machine"
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    You seem to be avoiding today's thread Frenchie?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    “I made an error of judgment; I stopped for a pee just before that team went ballistic. Luckily the whole Movistar team had also stopped,” Dan Martin wrote in his online diary for the Irish Times. “We got moving again, riding very fast up the climb, but we were not getting any closer to the peloton. We were looking at each other wondering what the heck was going on.

“Fortunately I was with two strong riders, Alejandro Valverde and Nairo Quintana, and we were able to get back up. I think we were the only ones to do so out of the 15 guys who had stopped.”

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/14931 ... z2YHbwm0AQ
    Contador is the Greatest
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    chrisday wrote:
    That TT you're using, FF?

TT?

Trading Technologies - X-somethingorother? Just trying to guess your trading software from the pic ;)
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • Pross
    So Cannondale put the pressure on when a load of riders including some favourites were taking a toilet break? Some teams might get a bit of stick if they did that.