TDF 2013 - Stage 4 TTT *Spoilers*

Comments

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Euskaltel haven't had any fallers yet have they? Surely it's bound to happen today with 9 of them trying to ride in a straight line?

Interestingly Tony Martin stayed with the first bunch yesterday so perhaps he's not too bad after all (until he has to get down in an aero position no doubt!).
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    oneof1982 wrote:
    I'm looking forward to seeing Chirs Froome shoot off the front with 2 k to go, just "to keep out of trouble" and keep the rest of his team "on their toes".

Naah, I've been thinking about it and concluded the only reason to pop off the front the other day was to show everyone that he's definitely racing differently to Wiggins. From this I confidently expect him to drop out the back within the first ten minutes, soloing the rest of the course just to prove he doesn't need a team dragging him around...
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    hammerite wrote:
    Euskaltel haven't had any fallers yet have they? Surely it's bound to happen today with 9 of them trying to ride in a straight line?

"everytime I looked down there was another carrot on the ground"
    - Can't remember the exact quote or who said it.

Still can't see past Garmin. They've targeted this, had a great few days (relative to other teams) and have the extra yellow jersey incentive.
    exercise.png
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    from BigRingRiding on twitter

ANY IDEA WHY SAXO AREN'T WARMING UP AND THERE'S POLICE AT THE BUS?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    dave milne wrote:
    from BigRingRiding on twitter

ANY IDEA WHY SAXO AREN'T WARMING UP AND THERE'S POLICE AT THE BUS?

Oh dear, there will be trouble... :cry:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Can think of one.... ;)

Dunno - another Bike theft? :(
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited July 2013
    ITS NOT EVEN A REST DAY! AND THEY'RE NOWHERE NEAR PAU :wink:

Mr 60%'s admitted over the last couple of days that the Danish AD agency's opened a case investigating his activities as a team manager, given the claims made by Tyler Hamilton etc
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    TheStone wrote:
    hammerite wrote:

"everytime I looked down there was another carrot on the ground"
    - Can't remember the exact quote or who said it.

Just checked it up as I had thought that it may have been G who said that (which would have been ironic!) but it was Matt Lloyd.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    No one else mentioning it on twitter though...suspect its nothing
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    I wouldn`t mind Roche in the jersey even though he doesn`t deserve it.

Why does he not deserve to be in the yellow jersey tonight if Saxo-Tinkoff win the Team Time Trial?

DD.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    What do we reckon the winning time is going to be? Short, pan flat course, will we see it go under 27 mins?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Cadel bores me. As a person and as a rider. I don't want to see him in yellow.

HAHAHA :lol:
  • Richmond Racer
    latest from Sky on G:

'Battling on

Geraint Thomas came off the worst in a chaotic first stage and since crashing on Saturday the Welshman has shown heart and determination in abundance to battle on with a small fracture to his pelvis.

Team Sky Doctor Alan Farrell explained the situation so far and how medical treatment and physio work have aided Thomas in his quest to continue.

“After his fall on the first stage Geraint went for x-rays which didn’t reveal any bone injury,” he said. “He then felt severe pain heading through the second stage so we brought him for a CT scan on Sunday. That revealed a small fracture in his pelvis.

“Since then the medical team have been helping him through the pain and over the last two days he’s responded really well, alongside extensive work with the team’s lead Physiotherapist Dan Guillemette.

“He’s really shown warrior-like qualities and we’re surprised at how much he has progressed in 48 hours.”

With the 27-year-old forging on in the knowledge his injury can’t be made worse, Farrell added: “The only thing stopping him from progressing is his tolerance of the pain. The team are all behind him and we’ll continue to monitor Geraint on a day-to-day basis.

“He’s felt much better each day and is keen to keep going and to battle through the pain for the moment. Obviously if it becomes too much there may be no other option. For now he’s responding well, he’s in good spirits, and we’ll see how he gets on each day.”
  • TMR
    ddraver wrote:
    No one else mentioning it on twitter though...suspect its nothing

Finger's crossed...
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    latest from Sky on G:

'Battling on

Geraint Thomas came off the worst in a chaotic first stage and since crashing on Saturday the Welshman has shown heart and determination in abundance to battle on with a small fracture to his pelvis.

Team Sky Doctor Alan Farrell explained the situation so far and how medical treatment and physio work have aided Thomas in his quest to continue.

“After his fall on the first stage Geraint went for x-rays which didn’t reveal any bone injury,” he said. “He then felt severe pain heading through the second stage so we brought him for a CT scan on Sunday. That revealed a small fracture in his pelvis.

“Since then the medical team have been helping him through the pain and over the last two days he’s responded really well, alongside extensive work with the team’s lead Physiotherapist Dan Guillemette.

“He’s really shown warrior-like qualities and we’re surprised at how much he has progressed in 48 hours.”

With the 27-year-old forging on in the knowledge his injury can’t be made worse, Farrell added: “The only thing stopping him from progressing is his tolerance of the pain. The team are all behind him and we’ll continue to monitor Geraint on a day-to-day basis.

“He’s felt much better each day and is keen to keep going and to battle through the pain for the moment. Obviously if it becomes too much there may be no other option. For now he’s responding well, he’s in good spirits, and we’ll see how he gets on each day.”

They say that it cant get worse but as I recall there is quite a lot of research out there linking healing (negatively) with pain and stress.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Paulie W wrote:
    latest from Sky on G:

'Battling on

They say that it cant get worse but as I recall there is quite a lot of research out there linking healing (negatively) with pain and stress.

yup and even if there werent common sense would :)
  • Richmond Racer
    edited July 2013
    And there's Internet Forum peeps too. We know best - there's plenty of research out there that shows this.

:wink:
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    RideOnTime wrote:
    TheStone wrote:
    What's the longest anyone's gone between yellow jerseys?

Gino Bartali won the Tour in 1938 and 1948?

That's ten years.

Always good with maths.
    Cillian Kelly ‏@irishpeloton 5h
    The longest gap between first and last stints in Yellow is 12 years. Gino Bartali 1937,1949. Millar can break that record today. 2000,2013.
  • DeadCalm
    Start times (CET):

15 h 15 : Argos-Shimano /
    15 h 19 : Omega Pharma – Quick Step /
    15 h 23 : Lotto-Belisol / 15 h 27 : Cannondale
    15 h 31 : Cofidis /
    15 h 35 : FDJ.fr /
    15 h 39 : Belkin /
    15 h 43 : Garmin-Sharp /
    15 h 47 : Euskaltel
    15 h 51 : Team Sky /
    15 h 55 : Katusha /
    15 h 59 : Sojasun /
    16 h 03 : Astana /
    16 h 07 : Movistar
    16 h 11 : Saxo-Tinkoff /
    16 h 15 : Europcar /
    16 h 19 : AG2R La Mondiale /
    16 h 23 : Orica-GreenEDGE
    16 h 27 : Lampre /
    16 h 31 : Vacansoleil /
    16 h 35 : BMC /
    16 h 39 : Radio Shack
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Turfle wrote:
    I'm not as high on Garmin as most people for this one.

5 of this same 9 were there for the Giro TTT, and they were very ordinary.
    Talansky, Martin, Dennis, Bauer
    vs
    Stetina, Dekker, Hunter, Haas

Stronger for sure, but I'd argue all the other teams are improved too. They could definitely win, but I don't know that I'd have them as favourite.

*It's possible that I'm forgetting some particular problem that Garmin had during that TTT.

Millar crashed early in the Giro and was a passenger in the TTT. Think they should be better today.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I fancy Movistar for this.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    OPQS are my outside bet ... The short course should suit them in the same way HTC used to be competitive when the distance wasn't too bad ...
  • TMR
    I fancy Movistar for this.

YP puts his money down! :D

Go on then, I'll take some of that action. I'll go for OGE.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I agree, after Garmin I would like to see OPQS win this.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Garmin for me, would love to see Millar in yellow. don't know if it's a great idea for any of the big GC contenders to get yellow this early and then have to defend it for 2 and a half weeks
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    Orica Green Edge are 27/1 for the win and 5/1 for top 3 on Betfair at the moment - seems decent odds so have put a couple of quid on them.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Cadel bores me. As a person and as a rider. I don't want to see him in yellow.

He climbs like robocop. Mind he has won a tour through mental strength and the ability to pt a decent TT together.

Podium at the end of the race? or burnout...?
  • DeadCalm
    OPQS are my outside bet ... The short course should suit them in the same way HTC used to be competitive when the distance wasn't too bad ...
    OPQS have Tony Martin (TT World champ), Chavanel (TT champion of France), Velits (TT champion of Slovakia), Kwiatkowski (runner up TT champs Poland), Terpstra (runner up TT champs Netherlands). Plus Cavendish who seems to excel at the TTT. I don't think they would need a short coursel. Whether they can do anything will depend on how badly they have been impacted by the various injuries, particularly to Tony Martin.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I'm with OPQS too.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    DeadCalm wrote:
    OPQS have Tony Martin (TT World champ), Chavanel (TT champion of France), Velits (TT champion of Slovakia), Kwiatkowski (runner up TT champs Poland), Terpstra (runner up TT champs Netherlands). Plus Cavendish who seems to excel at the TTT. I don't think they would need a short coursel. Whether they can do anything will depend on how badly they have been impacted by the various injuries, particularly to Tony Martin.

Check. Not outside bets...more like outright favourites.
    Contador is the Greatest