TDF 2013 - *SPOILERS*: Le Tour: Etape 3 Ajaccio-Calvi

Comments

• oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Vichot down
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    To be fair, you could have left "on the drops" out of that second sentence ;-)

Nothing my wife hasn't said umpteen times! :wink:
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 414
    Jens is not riding a Smurf bike. Is he just too damn 'hard' for a Puffo bike?

Didn't notice, but if it looks steel grey in colour, it could be this one

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/trek-equip-jens-voigt-with-custom-themed-bike-33997/
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408

PS - any good live text-ticker updates out there? One with a profile graphic would be ace.

The cyclingnews tour tracker app and graphic is pretty good if you have an iDevice, I'd imagine they have the stuff on their website too.

I'm watching on itv player at the moment and the info graphic stuff under the video screen is pretty detailed too.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    andytee87 wrote:
    Jens is not riding a Smurf bike. Is he just too damn 'hard' for a Puffo bike?

Didn't notice, but if it looks steel grey in colour, it could be this one

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/trek-equip-jens-voigt-with-custom-themed-bike-33997/

Ah yes, his 'Shut up Legs' bike. I think that may be the one.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • hammerite
    Although here's a maths riddle from Cyclingnews.....

"There are (were) 198 riders in this race. Where do they all come from? Not surprisingly, the largest contingent is French, with 42. That is followed by Spain 42, Italy 18, Netherlands 18, Belgium 12, Australia 11 and Germany 10. In all, 27 nations are represented here."
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Here you are AtC
    Corsica sprang into being about 250 million years ago, when geological upheavals threw up the mass of granite which forms the backbone of the island

Some 200 million years later the upheavals which brought the Alps into existence also had an effect on Corsica. A mass of sedimentary rock was thrust against the eastern side of the island. The pressures involved causing a metamorphosis into a folded bed of hard, resistant schists.

The final changes to the Corsican landscape were caused by the effects of erosion. Glaciation in the ice ages had some effect on the highest peaks, but most of the work was done by the island's abundant precipitation. This has covered the land with rows of parallel steep sided, V shaped valleys.

It's actually really complex and I'm struggling to get my head around some of the more technical descriptions available...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • hammerite
    ddraver wrote:
    Here you are AtC
    Corsica sprang into being about 250 million years ago, when geological upheavals threw up the mass of granite which forms the backbone of the island

Some 200 million years later the upheavals which brought the Alps into existence also had an effect on Corsica. A mass of sedimentary rock was thrust against the eastern side of the island. The pressures involved causing a metamorphosis into a folded bed of hard, resistant schists.

The final changes to the Corsican landscape were caused by the effects of erosion. Glaciation in the ice ages had some effect on the highest peaks, but most of the work was done by the island's abundant precipitation. This has covered the land with rows of parallel steep sided, V shaped valleys.

It's actually really complex and I'm struggling to get my head around some of the more technical descriptions available...

Did your hairdresser tell you all that?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ^Thanks! :D

I was hoping you'd produce something when Kirby just started to talk about hanging rocks.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    hammerite wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Here you are AtC

Mine just asks if I'm planning a holiday.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Cheers all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • hammerite
    RideOnTime wrote:
    hammerite wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Here you are AtC

Mine just asks if I'm planning a holiday.

In the past 3 years mine has turned from getting a mountain bike to pootle about on, to training every day of the week and road racing. So we just tend to talk about bikes or racing.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    I guess you heard Geraint Thomas has a hairline fracture to his pelvis after day 1? He returned to hospital last night for further x-rays. Poor lad, seems not only unable to continue but also unwise to continue.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Bo Duke wrote:
    I guess you heard Geraint Thomas has a hairline fracture to his pelvis after day 1? He returned to hospital last night for further x-rays. Poor lad, seems not only unable to continue but also unwise to continue.

I think most of us have agreed him continuing is bonkers.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Some bloke in orange has just given another bloke in orange his back wheel
  • oneof1982
    Bo Duke wrote:

He is still in there.
  • hammerite
    so going in to this final climb - apart from the lead bunch and 2 off the back (Veelers and Bouhanni) is everyone still in the peloton?
  • Bo Duke
    oneof1982 wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:

He is still in there.
    Yep but that's why he's No 198.... :cry:
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • hammerite
    hammerite wrote:
    so going in to this final climb - apart from the lead bunch and 2 off the back (Veelers and Bouhanni) is everyone still in the peloton?

ah no to answer my own question! riders now starting to fall off the back.
  • Lichtblick
    I wish they'd stop changing cameras. It makes it very hard to pick people out!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2013
    hammerite wrote:

"There are (were) 198 riders in this race. Where do they all come from? Not surprisingly, the largest contingent is French, with 42. That is followed by Spain 42, Italy 18, Netherlands 18, Belgium 12, Australia 11 and Germany 10. In all, 27 nations are represented here."
    They've written that wrong. They should have said 27 other countries. There's 34 in all:

Western Europe (14): France, Spain, Portugal, UK, Belgium, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Denmark, Italy, Sweden, Germany
    Eastern Europe (9) : Russia, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia
    Asia (3): Japan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan
    North America (3): USA, Canada, Costa Rica
    South America (2): Brazil, Colombia
    Oceania (2): Australia, New Zealand
    Africa (1): South Africa
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    No, it would appear that Dutch hairdressers don't work on a Monday...

Essentially it's an extension of the Alps into the Mediterranean...

A Carboniferous age, large granite batholith (think Dartmoor) was thrusted up during the Hercynian Orogeny (Orogenesis = Mountain building).

Granite is formed deep in the earths crust and so requires a major amount of crustal deformation to lift them high enough to be exposed by later erosion. The Hercynian Orogeny occurred when Laurentia and Gondwana came together to form Pangea and is probably the main control on geology for most of Western Europe and North Africa.

Later, the Alpine orogeny resulted in a series of oceanic and continental crust thrust blocks being thrust up against that batholith. These are where the Blueschist and eclogite schists that TWH mentioned come from...

When mountain chains are formed, they and their surrounding areas sink down into the mantle (isostacy - same as a boat in water) which is what caused the formation of the Mediterranean. This occurred around 30Ma and is what resulted in the separation of Corsica and Sardinia from Mainland France (30Ma) and the Italian Apennines (18Ma)

More info (and in true Geological Style, a lot of controversy) here - http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/docs/00 ... cs2004.pdf
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Clarke looks whacked...
  • hammerite
    RichN95 wrote:
    hammerite wrote:

They've written that wrong. ThereThey should have said 27 other countries. There's 34 in all:

Western Europe (14): France, Spain, Portugal, UK, Belgium, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Denmark, Italy, Sweden, Germany
    Eastern Europe (9) : Russia, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia
    Asia (3): Japan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan
    North America (3): USA, Canada, Costa Rica
    South America (2): Brazil, Colombia
    Oceania (2): Australia, New Zealand
    Africa (1): South Africa

Not to mention 42 not being any more than 42.
  • hammerite
    polka dot shorts never a good idea.
  • Lichtblick
    hammerite wrote:

I completely agree.
  • oneof1982
    ddraver wrote:
    No, it would appear that Dutch hairdressers don't work on a Monday...

Essentially it's an extension of the Alps into the Mediterranean...

A Carboniferous age, large granite batholith (think Dartmoor) was thrusted up during the Hercynian Orogeny (Orogenesis = Mountain building).

Granite is formed deep in the earths crust and so requires a major amount of crustal deformation to lift them high enough to be exposed by later erosion. The Hercynian Orogeny occurred when Laurentia and Gondwana came together to form Pangea and is probably the main control on geology for most of Western Europe and North Africa.

Later, the Alpine orogeny resulted in a series of oceanic and continental crust thrust blocks being thrust up against that batholith. These are where the Blueschist and eclogite schists that TWH mentioned come from...

When mountain chains are formed, they and their surrounding areas sink down into the mantle (isostacy - same as a boat in water) which is what caused the formation of the Mediterranean. This occurred around 30Ma and is what resulted in the separation of Corsica and Sardinia from Mainland France (30Ma) and the Italian Apennines (18Ma)

More info (and in true Geological Style, a lot of controversy) here - http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/docs/00 ... cs2004.pdf

Corsica rocks.
  • oneof1982
    hammerite wrote:

look at these guys in fancy dress.....Oh, its Rolland 8)
  • Lichtblick
    where's Sagan?
  • Bo Duke
    Pierre Rolland first over the top and gets the points.