'98 retro testing...

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    RichN95 wrote:
    Verbruggen was warned in the early 90s about EPO and the link to the deaths of the young riders were dropping down dead. Did toot all. And the best that he could come up with in the end after trying to do nothing for as long as possibel, was the 50% crit max, which just gave everyone a licence to dope up to 49.9%.
    I'm not sure what he could have done. It's like a kid getting beaten up by a group of bullies - you can tell him to fight back, but in reality there's sod all he can do.

It suited him to do bugger all for years. He even made a ludicrous statement in 94 after the Geweiss team did their ridiculous thang at F-W that the other teams needed to train harder, and played down Ferrari's 'EPO is no more dangerous than orange juice' comment as journos stirring it up.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

I don't understand why he's not more p1ssed. He's been robbed of high placings, stage wins and who knows overall victories by a succession of cheats, many of whom are still in the peloton and many of whom probably still dope.

Because he's not sure that he would have won if everyone was clean. Instead he is famous for supposedly having ridden clean - something that will increasingly pay well. His prize and his achievement is a moral one - it is a competition he feels he has won.
    Moncoutie's work ethic and training regime were legendary. As Matt Rendell once described it - "Pottering around a Parisian park twice a week". He made Freire look like a workaholic.

That and he couldn't ride in a bunch even after 12 years as a pro

All of which makes him a legend in my book.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Timoid. wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Interesting... most of the big names already confirmed (Pantani, Ulrich, Boogert, Dekker et al) or highly suspicious (Cippolini etc).
    But how many of these are in the 5%? Voigt, Boardman, McEwen, Sciandri, Backsted, O'Grady, Tschimil...
    1: Boardman.
    I find this list Intreguing and to use an analogy of this next post.
    bockers wrote:
    One positive outcome of exposing the extent of EPO use in the past should be major change in the top of the UCI. If they did not know about endemic drug use then they should be sacked, if they did know but swept it under the carpet then again they should be sacked.
    With Boardman a room mate of Gaumont, then why has he not said anything about the Gaumont drugs. ??
    He did some hard work on his behalf through Mont Cassel for Gaumont to win the 4 Jour Dunkerque Race. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    deejay wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Interesting... most of the big names already confirmed (Pantani, Ulrich, Boogert, Dekker et al) or highly suspicious (Cippolini etc).
    But how many of these are in the 5%? Voigt, Boardman, McEwen, Sciandri, Backsted, O'Grady, Tschimil...
    bockers wrote:
    One positive outcome of exposing the extent of EPO use in the past should be major change in the top of the UCI. If they did not know about endemic drug use then they should be sacked, if they did know but swept it under the carpet then again they should be sacked.
    With Boardman a room mate of Gaumont, then why has he not said anything about the Gaumont drugs. ??
    He did some hard work on his behalf through Mont Cassel for Gaumont to win the 4 Jour Dunkerque Race. :roll:

Well, for starters, was stuff done in the room in front of him - elsewhere - outside of the race etc

And ultimately let's count how many people have been whistleblowers...
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    It surely suited Verbruggen to not 'find' much doping so as the ensure there was still loads of cash piling in from sponsors/TV companies etc. My guess is that his annual bonus could have had something to do with it, and any other generous presents (in the FIFA mould).
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    deejay wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    bockers wrote:

That's a bit harsh. The man didn't dope and paid an unfair price because of it. Do you expect him to shout out and then lose his career, especially when the governing body would be the first to hound him out?

No chance.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,562
    Out of interest, why is everyone so sure Boardman didn't dope?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I was thinking about this last night. If you were a tested rider during that 98 Tour, and you know you were on the juice at the time...and you're still in cycling as a rider, or a DS or a manager or a commentator*...how the hell do you sleep at night right now?
    They will probably just look at this advert (which appears in the Official Tour de France roadbook) and think 'what's the worst that can happen?'

festina-richard-virenque-tour-de-france-100.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    RichN95 wrote:
    I was thinking about this last night. If you were a tested rider during that 98 Tour, and you know you were on the juice at the time...and you're still in cycling as a rider, or a DS or a manager or a commentator*...how the hell do you sleep at night right now?
    They will probably just look at this advert (which appears in the Official Tour de France roadbook) and think 'what's the worst that can happen?'

Gobsmacked. Utterly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    TheBigBean wrote:

For me it's because he was too much of a one trick pony. The best dopers usually develop a second string to their bow that they never seemed to possess before. That and the fact that he is British and knows how to queue, which of course Johnny Foreigner doesn't.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Gobsmacked. Utterly.
    As tweeted by Mr Millar

https://twitter.com/millarmind/status/3 ... 6466610176
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    true dat Yellow Peril - sprinter Jalabert, few years later in the polka dot jersey...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    RichN95 wrote:

Just watched the first 5 minutes of this new Eurosport show, "The Ride", in which 2 lucky "winners" get to ride the Ventoux stage with the help of two ex-pros.
    The Scandinavian bloke got either Sean Kelly, or a Madame Tussaud's knock off, while the French bloke got.........
    ..........Mr Festina.
    At which point, I voted with the delete button.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Hinault makes a good point about this. Why is it once again that just cycling samples are being re-tested. Why not test the FIFA World Cup samples or other sports as well. It's not just cycling that has cheats yet it's only cycling that ever gets into the news. Same with the Fuentes trial and the only names being made public were cyclists and I feel the Spanish covered up the other sports
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    RichN95 wrote:

That is absolutely bloody sickening.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Good piece (again) by Robert Millar: http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/robert ... ng-stories
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    Thanks for that link. It is another intriguing piece of writing from Robert Millar. He says what he really thinks, as usual.

DD.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    RichN95 wrote:
    Gobsmacked. Utterly.
    As tweeted by Mr Millar

https://twitter.com/millarmind/status/3 ... 6466610176

And looking equally stylish here:

51mgkXIKZYL.jpg
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    RichN95 wrote:

Lucien van Impe is now saying he has turned down the invitation to attend the last stage with all living Tour de France riders, because of the Virenque ad: http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cn ... 1_00643846
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Just how photoshopped is that image?! I cant see a single track mark.
  • arnuf
    arnuf Posts: 98
    FJS wrote:
    Lucien van Impe is now saying he has turned down the invitation to attend the last stage with all living Tour de France riders, because of the Virenque ad: http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cn ... 1_00643846

Is he suggesting there is hypocrisy in cycling?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793

:shock:

* leaving aside the USADA lot, and others who've already been done

the guys who really should be losing sleep are those now with minute traces from micro dosing is my take on things

the shocking truth would be [from 98] if there was a large number of negatives
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Sorry I can never think about Virinque without his superb advert for the Tour de France Caravan coming to mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxD1eNHs0Io

:-)

Richard Virinque is a laughing stock in France, not least because of the drug taking.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    TheBigBean wrote:

For me it's because he was too much of a one trick pony.

Boardman had some good results. A second in the DL comes to mind and a good result in the PN. Ok some of that down to time won in the ITT. He had trouble climbing with the leaders, especially on the 2nd and 3rd grand col of the day but with EPO, who knows what he could have won.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    davidof wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Boardman had some good results. A second in the DL comes to mind and a good result in the PN. Ok some of that down to time won in the ITT. He had trouble climbing with the leaders, especially on the 2nd and 3rd grand col of the day but with EPO, who knows what he could have won.

If boardman doped..... Well then the end is nigh
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    davidof wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

I dont believe he did. If you watch "The Final Hour" DVD about his hour ride he explains that he we packing in because he had an illness. His body was not producing male hormones, making him weaker and his recovery from efforts slower, and leading to osteoporosis. He produced three certificates from doctors but the cycling powers refused to let him use the medication as it was, I think, testosterone. If he was juicing I dont think he would have bothered asking the UCI about testosterone.
    I think the headline at the time was "Boardman retires, to take drugs".
  • TONY.M
    TONY.M Posts: 94
    mike6 wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    davidof wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

I dont believe he did. If you watch "The Final Hour" DVD about his hour ride he explains that he we packing in because he had an illness. His body was not producing male hormones, making him weaker and his recovery from efforts slower, and leading to osteoporosis. He produced three certificates from doctors but the cycling powers refused to let him use the medication as it was, I think, testosterone. If he was juicing I dont think he would have bothered asking the UCI about testosterone.
    This can be a very sad side of Anti-doping which in theory of course is a great idea, but it does not always work in the best interest of every athlete who may have health issues which can be treated with drugs that may be on the banned list - even if no performance gain is actually being received.

Anyway getting off topic.

Tony
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    TONY.M wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    davidof wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

This can be a very sad side of Anti-doping which in theory of course is a great idea, but it does not always work in the best interest of every athlete who may have health issues which can be treated with drugs that may be on the banned list - even if no performance gain is actually being received.

Anyway getting off topic.

Tony

IIRC it was the other way round

the UCI were going to give him a big carte blanche and he decided to bow out instead.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,562
    What happened to this? I thought the list of names was supposed to be released.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    TheBigBean wrote:
    What happened to this? I thought the list of names was supposed to be released.

On Wednesday.